[PRJ] apps2sd discussion

Cretos

Feb 6, 2011
Can you please explain what process you are following and the step you are doing, with exact error message. Will try to help.

Sent from my S7
When, i open the partition master and try partitioning the internal sd it just comes up with "opperation cannot complete because the media is write-protected" copying from kev's guide, and it just says that when i try to partition it

kevmueller

Dec 7, 2010
I have done this several times and never had a problem. I actually did this on my wifes tablet this weekend as well with no problems (she was running out of space as well). When you open the partition software you already have the internal storage mounted to your system correct?

Not sure what to tell you since I have never encountered this error on my own. Sorry.

buzzman

Dec 8, 2010
I can proudly say I have successfully installed apps2sd. I wish I can say I am no longer an "idiot" when it comes to android stuff, but alas I cant. I might downgrade myself to ignorant. LOL.

I tried to do link2sd available on market. Downloaded&installed. It told me my ext2 partition was not found. So I backed up my internal sd card, reformatted it, repartitioned it. Tried again. Same message. OK, I guess I need to follow pvella's check list. So I started thinking I can go up to the part of finding a working ext 2 partition. 1st check was OK! 2nd check did not. link2sd still not working. Double checked my work. Tried again from the beginning of the checks. Got to the 2nd check point and saw busybox??? I did not remember installing, thought it was automatically installed by titanium back-up.

That was my mistake. It needs to be manually installed and titanium BU was forcing closed before installing it. Deleted and reinstalled titanium BU, installed busybox. Did not see it in my programs list, but Tit.BU said it was there.

Did the 2nd check again and it worked. Tried to do link to sd a 3rd time. This time I got "you have apps2sd installed. Please remove before using. ARGHHHHH....

So I just finished the apps2sd install and did 3rd steps. Took off the # from the 2nd and 3rd lines from the script- I did not move the data and cache-( was this correct?) and finished the install. I know it works cause I have a ton of apps installed. But I get a lot of force close errors. If I change the script to put the ## back in and move the data and cache will this fix it or improve it? I'm also getting alot of freezes so I need to pull the battery to fix it.

Is there a way to remove apps 2sd and go with link2sd? I'm happy I was able to do this from the tech point, but now with the unstable tablet I'd like to try the other way with link2sd. I'll search for the answer.

I put on the rom C62B13. In reality it is C62B11 on the install. So I don't get the discrepancy in numbers. I also read a post by zek that this will take the ability away to flash from the micro sd card. Hope this is not so.

Seems this hack trades one problem ( lack of space) for another (instability). Unless it is the C62b13 causing the problems.

I'm open for input! Thanks to Kev, Pvella, Ivy, Shanksv, Pa49 (Hope I'm not forgetting anyone) for help & support and your hard work. I know there are many un-named that pitched in and collaborated on making this tablet closer to custom roms being available! My thanks to you too!!

Damn- this is a great group of people!!:cool:

Last edited:

buzzman

Dec 8, 2010
as per pvella:

Been testing this out. It seems to work well and should generally be more stable.

Some Observations:
1) transition from apps2sd is hard, best to start again from a fresh rom and reinstall your apps from backup
2) setup is a lot simpler, create directory, install the app and then reboot and manually move apps to sdcard
3) Not all apps can be moved. Not really a problem, it is mainly system ones that dont work
4) it broke my market when I installed, but easy enough to fix, reinstall and reboot
5) you have to link your apps, then reboot before it takes effect
6) gives the option of keeping widgets and sensitive apps on the internal memory, improved stability
7) Titanium does not report apps2sd correctly, so you have no idea how much space is being used.

Overall I like it. I am sticking with this for now and will keep doing more testing. I am using it this mod with the /cache mod to give me about 100M of free memory, with all my required apps installed. Not bad really.
Huawei S7-105 (Telstra) Rooted
Singapore ROM (S7V100R001C62B013)
Link2sd, Camera mod, Cache mod, ADW Launcher

buzzman

Dec 8, 2010
@pvella-know your busy. I would like to do the link2sd and will reflash. Do I treat goodoane's scripts just like the other instructions and substitute? Where do I stop so I don't get the remove apps2sd before using app link2sd? Don't want to screw it up again. I will reflash the c62b11 rom.

My internal is formatted correctly, with the ext2 working. I can adb adequately and cut and paste lines.

not sure what to do with the following:
I have made the 2 scripts per goodoane. Do I drop them in manually?

as per pvella:

Here is my setup for this.

I have these files in /system/etc/

install-recovery.sh
#!/system/bin/sh
#
/system/etc/init-sd2.sh&
/system/etc/init-camera.sh&
/system/etc/init-cache.sh&

init-sd2.sh
#!/system/bin/sh
MYLOG=/data/init-sd2.log
echo "$(date) Starting init-sd2.sh" > $MYLOG
echo "$(date) Waiting SD to become ready..." >> $MYLOG
sleep 10
mount -t ext2 /dev/block/vold/179:2 /data/sdext2 1>>$MYLOG 2>>$MYLOG
mount >> $MYLOG
echo "$(date) Finishing init-sd2.sh" >> $MYLOG

init-cache.sh
#!/system/bin/sh
#
MYLOG=/data/init-cache.log
echo "$(date) Starting init-cache.sh" > $MYLOG
if [ ! -d /cache/dalvik-cache ]
then
echo "$(date) ( !-d /cache/dalvik-cache)" >> $MYLOG
mkdir /cache/dalvik-cache >> $MYLOG
chown 1000:1000 /cache/dalvik-cache >> $MYLOG
chmod 775 /cache/dalvik-cache >> $MYLOG
fi

if [ -L /data/dalvik-cache ]
then
echo "$(date) (-L /cache/dalvik-cache)" >> $MYLOG
rm -f /data/dalvik-cache >> $MYLOG
mkdir /data/dalvik-cache >> $MYLOG
chown 1000:1000 /data/dalvik-cache >> $MYLOG
chmod 775 /data/dalvik-cache >> $MYLOG
elif [ ! -d /data/dalvik-cache ]
then
echo "$(date) (elsif ! -d /data/dalvik-cache)" >> $MYLOG
mkdir /data/dalvik-cache >> $MYLOG
chown 1000:1000 /data/dalvik-cache >> $MYLOG
chmod 775 /data/dalvik-cache >> $MYLOG
elif [ -d /data/dalvik-cache ]
then
for filename in /data/dalvik-cache/*
do
if [ -L $filename ]
then
rm -f $filename >> $MYLOG
fi
done
mv /data/dalvik-cache/* /cache/dalvik-cache/ >> $MYLOG
fi
echo "$(date) Mounting Cache" >> $MYLOG
mount -o bind /cache/dalvik-cache/ /data/dalvik-cache/ 1>>$MYLOG 2>>$MYLOG
mount >> $MYLOG
echo "$(date) Finishing init-cache.sh" >> $MYLOG

My mounts now look like this
# mount
mount
rootfs / rootfs ro 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=600 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
tmpfs /sqlite_stmt_journals tmpfs rw,size=4096k 0 0
/dev/block/mtdblock1 /system yaffs2 ro 0 0
/dev/block/mtdblock6 /data yaffs2 rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0
/dev/block/mtdblock5 /cache yaffs2 rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0
/dev/block/mtdblock5 /data/dalvik-cache yaffs2 rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0
/dev/block/vold/179:2 /data/sdext2 ext2 rw,errors=continue 0 0
/dev/block//vold/179:1 /sdcard vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,uid=1000,gid=
1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codepa ge=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,s
hortname=mixed,utf8,flush 0 0

Space looks like this
# busybox df -h
busybox df -h
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
tmpfs 207.6M 16.0K 207.5M 0% /dev
tmpfs 4.0M 0 4.0M 0% /sqlite_stmt_journals
/dev/block/mtdblock1 160.0M 128.2M 31.8M 80% /system
/dev/block/mtdblock6 175.0M 141.9M 33.1M 81% /data
/dev/block/mtdblock5 94.8M 66.7M 28.1M 70% /cache
/dev/block/mtdblock5 94.8M 66.7M 28.1M 70% /data/dalvik-cache
/dev/block/vold/179:2
1.4G 432.4M 968.1M 31% /data/sdext2
/dev/block//vold/179:1
13.4G 6.9G 6.5G 52% /sdcard
#

Any help always appreciated-
anyone else feel free to chime in!

Last edited:

Cretos

Feb 6, 2011
I have done this several times and never had a problem. I actually did this on my wifes tablet this weekend as well with no problems (she was running out of space as well). When you open the partition software you already have the internal storage mounted to your system correct?

Not sure what to tell you since I have never encountered this error on my own. Sorry.
Yeah the internal storage was mounted before i launched the software i've tried everything :S anyone else got any idea's? o:

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
Link2sd is not compatible with apps2sd. Nor is there an easy way to convert over. Best to start with a fresh rom, or remove apps2sd first. The dev of that app is active in this forum under the link2sd discussion. Post there. He is looking for testers and wants to support S7.

buzzman

Dec 8, 2010
@pvella- found my way to link2sd. Posted a how to in that forum. Thanks again for all your input and support. Your very concise write up(and kevmueller's) helped me work apps2sd and link2sd. Ivy and shanksv, you had great suggestions and pushed me to give it another go.;)

buzzman

Dec 8, 2010
Cretos- If you are using your computer to alter your micro sd, check your micro sd adapter. There is a slide that will lock out any changes. Unlock the slide and your card should work. If it is already in your tablet and your doing it over usb than I don't know.

hope you solve your problem.

Cretos

Feb 6, 2011
Cretos- If you are using your computer to alter your micro sd, check your micro sd adapter. There is a slide that will lock out any changes. Unlock the slide and your card should work. If it is already in your tablet and your doing it over usb than I don't know.

hope you solve your problem.
Yeah it's already in my tablet :x hmmm this is getting kind of lame :(

Martian

Jan 28, 2011
@pvella- found my way to link2sd. Posted a how to in that forum. Thanks again for all your input and support. Your very concise write up(and kevmueller's) helped me work apps2sd and link2sd. Ivy and shanksv, you had great suggestions and pushed me to give it another go.;)
.................I put on the rom C62B13. In reality it is C62B11 on the install. So I don't get the discrepancy in numbers. I also read a post by zek that this will take the ability away to flash from the micro sd card. Hope this is not so. ............

@Buzzman, Could not get it, so are you finally on link2sd and not app2sd? BTW I did transfer all /app, /data and catche to internal SD with app2sd (pvella and kev posts) and fortunately did not have any stability issue so far, no FC or boot etc. Only problem so far I have is with the gallery widget, it opens the gallery but does not display pictures at home screen. How is your exp with link2sd, remember seeing some people were already running it on S7 at XDA.

In fact I put same ROM as yours, the file said C62B13 but the file inside was C62B11. I actually had some error with extracting the files which was labelled C62B11 so ended up flashing the above ROM. I have not read zek post and hope I am not in trouble.

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
My experience is that link2sd is more reliable than apps2sd. There are still advantages to apps2sd, so I imagine some people will still choose that. You can also do the cache mod, which will give you back another 60mb of space.

Martian

Jan 28, 2011
Yeah it's already in my tablet :x hmmm this is getting kind of lame :(

Can you write anything to your SD from the file manager on your S7? Looking at your previous post I see you are talking about internal storage, if so then the write protect tab is out of question.
Are you using a PC? if so did you run the Partition Master as adminitrator and do you see all other drives in it. If you mount both your internal and ext sd you should be able to see both. You should be able to see it in My computer also. See the pic below for partition master, disk 4 is my internal sd (already prtitioned so showing ext2 part). If you see your internal sd then follow to resize the partition, if you do not see this, may be your USB driver is not installed properly or the sd did not mount. Hope it helps you.
$PartitionMaster.PNG

buzzman

Dec 8, 2010
@Martian- Yeah- I had to pull my battery 5 times in a 24 hr. period due to freezes on apps2sd. So I re-flashed but used an old rom -C60B10(010?)Not what I intended. Since I was able to flash out of the C62B13 to the old rom, I took the chance to put it back on and so far, so good.

I was able to get link2sd working and remembered what I did well enough to post the procedure. It seems to be working for others. I have no more stability issues. I have about 45mb left in the inner system memory and 200 apps on the tablet, the remaining non system apps on the link to sd partition. I haven't had much time to play with it. Having trouble getting appwidgetpicker working.

Cretos

Feb 6, 2011
Can you write anything to your SD from the file manager on your S7? Looking at your previous post I see you are talking about internal storage, if so then the write protect tab is out of question.
Are you using a PC? if so did you run the Partition Master as adminitrator and do you see all other drives in it. If you mount both your internal and ext sd you should be able to see both. You should be able to see it in My computer also. See the pic below for partition master, disk 4 is my internal sd (already prtitioned so showing ext2 part). If you see your internal sd then follow to resize the partition, if you do not see this, may be your USB driver is not installed properly or the sd did not mount. Hope it helps you.
View attachment 1127
It is now working thank you guys :D

Last edited: