[PRJ] apps2sd discussion

Martian

Jan 28, 2011
Thanks Buzzman for the info and glad to know that you could flash back to the other ROM. I do not understand Linux and android that well but the inconsistencies in our experience make me think that it does have the problems of some short of residual data on those partitions, something like task29 or hard reset in windows mobile. Thanks for the heads up for link2sd, I am quite tempted to try that but, its my son's tab and he use it for some of his studies also so I guess I will hold it for sometime. It has been so stable that he has never complained of a single FC or freeze and has ton of memory free. However, link2sd seem to give more flexibility. Here is snapshot of my memory use.

@Cretos, glad it worked for you. $S7-Tab-System-capture.PNG

mecha2012

Feb 7, 2011
Can you just modified firerats script from cyanogenmods to make it finds the partitions that's setup up for our device sorry if I ask something that I really don't know about.

jhsband84

Dec 14, 2010
Help please!! I used Kev's instructions to mod my S7 and it worked great. Tonight I'm trying to do my husband's, have gotten to Step 4, the first two lines, with the error cp: not found. Suggestions?

jwinn1812

Jan 25, 2011
If you installed busybox with the titanium backup it sometimes does not install correctly. Go to the market and install busybox app then run it to install and cp should work then

jhsband84

Dec 14, 2010
Thanks jwinn1812. I flashed the rom, reinstalled z4root, busybox and titanium backup, and tried again. Now on Step 4 I'm getting cp: can't stat '/sdcard/install-recovery.sh' : no such file or directory. I've confirmed those two files are on the internal sd card. I will start over tomorrow. Other suggestions welcome :D

Update: I did finally get everything worked out. Deleted the partition, set it back up, reinstalled busybox. I'm not sure what exactly what the key was. I appreciate this forum!!

Last edited:

kevmueller

Dec 7, 2010
I have had problems moving these files some times as well. I have been using root explorer and just mannually move the files to the system/ect folder mannually.

DarkRider

Feb 17, 2011
When, i open the partition master and try partitioning the internal sd it just comes up with "opperation cannot complete because the media is write-protected" copying from kev's guide, and it just says that when i try to partition it

Are you partitioning with a MicroSD adapter? Sometimes the lock switches on those need adjusting; try all the way "up" or middle. (It's a tiny toggle switch, usually on the left as the card faces you) Ignore all if you're partitioning in-phone or try MiniTool Partition Wizard (free download)...

kevmueller

Dec 7, 2010
Just an FYI for anyone who updates to Froyo 2.2.2 on the s7 with internal and external SD cards and wants to still use this. The mounted locations have changed and 179:18 is now 179:2. So in the commands to set this up and the init-sd.sh file this will need to be changed.

The good news is that is the location now if there is or is not a SD card inserted on boot. Even with Apps to SD on 2.2.2 there is only 160MB of app space and I was worried I would still run out of space so I went ahead and did this again and everything is running fine.

lemmyslender

Jan 10, 2011
kev,

I'll second this. Did it last night no problem. Love not having to worry about space restrictions. With the mounting locations fixed, it works even better.

Martian

Jan 28, 2011
+1. Did it on Froyo 2.2.2 indonesian. As earlier I put app, data and catch all, it worked great. In fact I had some trouble with emotion widgets with 2.1 ROM but on this one it is working perfect. Moreover as Kev said now no worry about the external SD.

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
Updated the documentation to account for the changed location of the /system partition in froyo.

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]# [/FONT][FONT=&quot]mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock2 /system - froyo[/FONT]

jireyes

Jun 12, 2011
I've tried the above procedures but when it came to this step "mount -t ext2 /dev/block/vold/179:18 /system/sd", the console said that it couldn't detect the mounted sd card (I think that's what the message meant). Since I could get no further, I exited the program only to find out that my internal sd card could not be detected anymore. Could this be due to the partitioning? How do I recover and remount my internal SD card?

Yes, I'm a newbie with a Huawei S7-105, newly updated to Froyo.

Please help me, thanks.

jireyes

Jun 12, 2011
I tried repeating the prcedure described in #129. Changed 179:18 to 179:2. That worked. But when I got to "mkdir /system/sd", this is what I got: "mkdir failed for /system/sd, File exists". Where did I go wrong? How do I bring back my internal sd card?