RAW photo viewer/editor

gpend

Jul 27, 2010
For those of you who are looking for an app to create, may I suggest a RAW photo app to view or edit photos off DSLR cameras directly or off a card. I am looking toward Canon specifically.

jdelgado

May 11, 2010
I was thinking about the same thing the other day it would be nice to be able to see my Canon Raw images on a tablet.

For those of you who are looking for an app to create, may I suggest a RAW photo app to view or edit photos off DSLR cameras directly or off a card. I am looking toward Canon specifically.

chest2tank

Oct 5, 2010
I registered just to resurrect this. I am a professional photographer, and I was hoping the iPad was going to be the answer to my (and many other photographers') needs. Sadly, it has fallen short. We need a workflow management system like Lightroom or Aperture. It looks as if the Android devices will be better than the iPad for this. PLEASE!!!!

What I need to be able to do (In order of importance):

Import RAW (CR2 specifically for me) off my SD and Compact Flash cards
Sort into folders
Rank, rate, mark for delete, delete
Light editing such as crop/rotate, curves/levels, and as other stuff as you can throw in there. Lightroom 3 is extremely robust in noise and sharpening, and I love it!
Export to DNG, JPG, etc.
Metadata editing

Perhaps an upload tool to Smugmug, Facebook, etc would be an nice addition.

If one could port Lightroom 3 to Android, that would be the best thing possible!

Bubbles582

Nov 15, 2010
Hey guys,

I actually thought of this the other day, after a day of shooting photos, I really didn't feel like firing up a laptop and just to view my photos and do some light editing. Which got me thinking I should make an app to do something like this on a tablet. I envisioned myself sitting at Starbucks or Java moose... Android Tablet in hand, Going over the days shots, and fixing them up.

So my question to you guys is... what kinda app are you envisioning? something with a similar tool set to what was described above? any other creative ideas? the more feedback I get, the more motivation I'll have to get this done, so let me know your ideas :)

Nick

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
While most tablets ship with microSD slots, there's not that many that ship with the full SD. I only know of the HSG X5A/Coby Kyros MID7005 that does the full SD slot right now. I don't know of a single one that does compact flash.

Good idea though!

rtrutna

Nov 29, 2010
While most tablets ship with microSD slots, there's not that many that ship with the full SD. I only know of the HSG X5A/Coby Kyros MID7005 that does the full SD slot right now. I don't know of a single one that does compact flash.

Good idea though!

I wonder if just being able to connect a USB card reader might provide enough flexibility to upload images from different types of SD/compact flash cards. I too would like tablet ability to review photos and perhaps even use as tethering option to display photo previews while shooting.

hoben02

Nov 10, 2010
I wonder if just being able to connect a USB card reader might provide enough flexibility to upload images from different types of SD/compact flash cards. I too would like tablet ability to review photos and perhaps even use as tethering option to display photo previews while shooting.

I tested the following on a zenithink zt-180. Was able to take an ATI 8 in 1 card reader/writer(rated for microsoft windows xp) with a usb connection and when connected to my tablet put it into a device "\udisk"
Then using astro file manager i was able to navigate to the folder and look at the jpg files(off of a nikon dslr).
There is an app "adobe photoshop express" don't know if it handles raw files.
used the compact flash portion

Last edited:

tonymaro

Dec 23, 2010
I may start looking at the DCRAW source code to see if it is easy to convert to Java. I need this as well. I use a semi-pro DSLR camera that uses CF cards (rather large) but I just got a Viewsonic G Tablet and it has a USB port which you can plug a card reader into, as long as it isn't a multi-reader.

EDIT:

This might not be too hard, I just googled and came up with:

JRAWIO

Last edited:

TheZuneLune

Feb 21, 2011
I am very happy to see this thread and even happier to see a developer with interest. I would love a light .Raw processor and live view function as well. Perhaps something that is a combination of the Canon RAW/editor and EOS utility for live veiw and timeplapse. I am tired of photography being held hostage by the Apple fancrowd.

Tony, I think this type of app could be one of the things that blows ipad out of the water. You might want to consider releasing something quickly, even with limited function to get ahead of the curve. I am excited about this! Canon/android users, unite!

dwcunpluged

Dec 25, 2010
Now this would be awesome. My wife is a professional photographer (weddings, family portraits,...) and I have been trying to find a way to get her interested in a tablet. We bought the Hauwei Ascend phones from Cricket and she doesn't really like hers because she doesn't know how to work the Android system. But if there were something like this I could get her an actual tablet and I think she might fall in love. Trust me, when the wife is unhappy I spend time with the fleabags in the doghouse.

adwb

Mar 2, 2011
A app that reads .dng files and would allow simple flagging for keep or not keep would make me very happy, image manipulation can be done late on the desk top at home,
all i want is a viewer that I can use on site to check the images rather than the tine camera screen.