Recommend me a tablet, please.

edbrisson

Sep 14, 2010
So, like most first time posters, I'm debating a tablet.

Initially, I was going to hold out for an iPad, but now that Graphic.ly is carrying Marvel comics and many other publishers and is soon to be releasing an app for Android, I thought that maybe I'd give an Android tablet a whirl.

Primarily I'd be using it for:

•Reading comics
•Reading books
•Light word processing (with Google Docs, if possible) - having the option to add a bluetooth or usb keyboard would be great. Even with the iPad, there's no way I'd do it with the onscreen keyboard.
•Maybe some movie watching while travelling.

Any suggestions?

Is there something out there now that will work, or should I bide my time? I'm pretty impatient and ready to jump on something now, but am trying not to be.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
If there were any available, All the vendors seem sold out, I would suggest a WITs A81-E. But The thing is there is so many changes happening, I would almost wait a month. The Archos 10.1 will be out in October. Others will be out about the same time. If all you want is a good multi-EReader, then a Rockchip based or Telechips based unit may meet your needs. Avoid the VIA 8505 series, unless you want to learn and evaluate. You will be disappointed otherwise. Go to the various Vendors and consider what meets your needs.
Keep in mind the following.
1. Many will have non-replaceable batteries. And suck up if you watch a lot of video
2. If they do not have Google Market installed. You will need to find the apks and side-load or slip-stream a Market install.
3. They are not E-Ink, and screen quality varies on price.
4. ACV is the deFacto best Comic viewer for Android, But there are other options as well
5. IReader is one of the better E-Readers
6. If you do not have a transcoder, plan on HandBrake or something similar to convert for best viewing.

Best of Luck.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
I agree with gurgle i would wait just one more month for things like the samsung galaxy tablet to come out so that way you have better and more choices.