[ROM][5.1.1] AOSP-5.1.1 / CM-12.1 for Lenovo a2109 (20160901)

PJBrs

Developer
Dec 29, 2014
Small update...

I'm doing something wrong with marshmallow, 'cause our blobs really don't like screenshots. I did find out in the meantime that we can at least use all EGL libs from tf300, which is also a tegra3 tablet but it received updates until and including android 4.2.2.

stueymc

Jul 9, 2015
You can partition the SD card to be used as swap on rooted Roms, which might be beneficial on this tablet.
I will try later tonight and see how it does

Just wondering how the research went with this. Also are you trying to use the ext. SD card hidden behind the rear panel, or partition internal memory Swap memory. Thanks for trying

PJBrs

Developer
Dec 29, 2014
The strangeness continues, but there is some improvement. First, screenshots apparently do work, but somehow erratically. When I do get a screenshot, logcat says:
Code:
W SurfaceFlinger: captureScreen: fence wait timed out
E gralloc : NvGrAddFence: array overflow, dropping fence 22

When I don't get a screenshot, it says:
Code:
NvOsDebugPrintf: NVMEM_IOC_GET_ID failed: Operation not permitted

Also, somehow the screen flickers a lot less with kernel 3.4 than expected, which is good news, and gralloc seems to have stopped crashing all the time. Sound however keeps puzzling me...

Last edited:

nni123

May 29, 2016
New CM-12.1 build. Security fixes up to and including August 2016.

cm-12.1-20160914-UNOFFICIAL-kai.zip (md5: 2a5444116855d8ba7753ed991965a2f7)

Note that I haven't updated AOSP in a while, and should be considered insecure (somewhat, though probably more secure thatn your average phone). It's very hard to maintain, much harder than CM. Also, I still have some hopes for kernel 3.4, and haven't given up on marshmallow. But that's too many projects at once, so I need some breakthrough somewhere.

AOSP was not as good as CM-12.1 build.

I am using CM 13 ROM on my mobile phone (prefer ROM outside of stock)

If you remove wallpaper (option to select no at the very end) performance goes higher. It is even more snappy.

Thanks again for the updates.

Last edited:

Reidless

Nov 14, 2016
Hi guys (and gals). I have been following this forum for about a year now and have loved the fact that there are people still willing to collaborate to keep an older tablet up to date with software. Special thanks to PJBrs!

I have installed most of the roms in this forum without too many issues (just a little slowness). I currently have the most recent ASOP build on the tablet and as of two days ago ran into a major issue. I don't know if its the rom or the hardware, or a combination of both. My tablet will not charge. I have tried multiple working cables but it will not charge or connect to my laptop. I was going to wipe the cache and even install the latest CM build but when I try and boot to android recovery I get the "no command" error and I cannot get into the recovery no matter what buttons I press. I am already looking into purchasing a new micro usb port and replacing that, but wanted to see if you had any thoughts on this issue first.

wambo0402

Sep 22, 2016
Hey Reidless!
AOSP overwrites your Recovery. You have to flash it again with fastboot. It's somewhere in this thread how you do it (commands etc) i think.
Cheers wambo

Reidless

Nov 14, 2016
Silly me, I forgot about that. Thank you Wambo. I guess I will have to wait for my new micro usb input so i can connect to the computer again.

PJBrs

Developer
Dec 29, 2014
Okay, progress is slow, grrrrrRRRRR!!!

Sound wasn't working, I finally tracked down the approximate location of the cause, something recent change in tinyalsa causes the following:
Code:
nvaudio_hw: cannot open pcm: cannot set sw params: Invalid argument

So, there must be one tinyalsa commit between lollipop and marshmallow that's giving us problems. I was wondering before why the other old tegra devices don't have the same issue, but they never build tinyalsa from source. So, sound is fixable. After that - screenshots and selinux.

Then again, the GOOD news: I just used an old tinyalsa from tf300 and: SOUND!!

Getting there :)

***EDIT***

GOTCHA!!! This was the culprit:
pcm: add support to set silence_size

Last edited:

PJBrs

Developer
Dec 29, 2014
Progress remains excruciatingly slow. I now know that screenshots will work, but somehow I can't get the build flags to work as usual. I manually overrode some stuff and then it did.

Not working
  • SElinux
  • USB-OTG
  • Bluetooth audio
Strangely, video playback seemed to work earlier, before I fixed sound....?!?!?!

Edit - No worries it's working again!

Last edited:

scissors99

Jun 25, 2016
Hi Guys,

couple of questions.
My tablet seems really clunky/slow responces/freezing unless i leave it for about 10 mins after booting. (I suspect stuff is still loading in the background). Is this the norm? I am grateful just to have the tablet working, but it is a pain.

Also, my all in one cleaner app reports i have a 1.21 gig file it classes as app leftover.
the file is com.cyanogenmod.updater
Can it be deleted? I suspect it actually the installation image and shouldn't be...

Thanks as always

PJBrs

Developer
Dec 29, 2014
Hi Guys,

couple of questions.
My tablet seems really clunky/slow responces/freezing unless i leave it for about 10 mins after booting. (I suspect stuff is still loading in the background). Is this the norm? I am grateful just to have the tablet working, but it is a pain.

Also, my all in one cleaner app reports i have a 1.21 gig file it classes as app leftover.
the file is com.cyanogenmod.updater
Can it be deleted? I suspect it actually the installation image and shouldn't be...

Thanks as always
I suspect you can just delete that file.

By they way, our tablet gets slower when it gets fuller. So, removing some data / apps might help. Also go to recovery and delete cache may help.

PJBrs

Developer
Dec 29, 2014
Will we have something to test soon?
Well, things ARE looking better and better.

I still need to fix selinux, USB-OTG now works! And it's possible now to use an sdcard as internal storage. I suspect that bluetooth audio is a kernel problem, unfortunately... I might not be able to solve this.

Problems: I think I saw some unwanted reboots and a hang when I plugged in a charger... Also, I still need to find a way to better disable hardware overlays. Screencast / screen recording does not work (not surprisingly, given our old blobs). Finally, the camera crashes when switching between front and back cameras. Still, most is good!

JoseF91

Dec 4, 2015
I just wanted to report I got stuck in a boot loop Using the latest CM12 I was just reading a pdf in battery saving mode, and when I unlocked it rebooted and kept rebooting. I tried restoring with cwm , reinstalling the zip, installinng AOSP, and formatting everything, but I don't know why I can't format it!
When I clear caches it does start but after something like 30secs it dies again.
Maybe I do something with adb, but the port is broken and it -barely- charges.

Can I do something about it without using the USB port?
Thanks!!

PJBrs

Developer
Dec 29, 2014
I just wanted to report I got stuck in a boot loop Using the latest CM12 I was just reading a pdf in battery saving mode, and when I unlocked it rebooted and kept rebooting. I tried restoring with cwm , reinstalling the zip, installinng AOSP, and formatting everything, but I don't know why I can't format it!
When I clear caches it does start but after something like 30secs it dies again.
Maybe I do something with adb, but the port is broken and it -barely- charges.

Can I do something about it without using the USB port?
Thanks!!
Well, for one thing, if your usb port is almost broken you have one big issue already. A bootloop like that, I mean, just like that, out of nowhere, should certainly not be possible. Anyway. Can you still boot to cwm? If so, that's good. Be sure not to do a factory reset (yet) and try to reinstall cm-12.1? If I'm correct, the installer will format system automatically. Also erase cache as well as dalvik cache. Then try to boot.

Problem is - if something on the data partition went wrong, then you have a bigger problem, because if you also reformat data, then where will you load your installation from, if not adb? Perhaps you can put the installer on an sdcard, boot to cwm, do a full factory reset from there, format data, system, and cache (you'll lose all your data) and then reinstall. But the real problem might be the internal memory. Then again, if it goes okay, you should be able to get a replacement usb board from ebay. Installing it is not difficult.

Good luck!