[ROM] CM7 (RC1) + Tablet Tweaks - called tt.RC1

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
the tablet tweaks was originally posted March 20th but it looks like they've gotten to a fairly stable build. Basically this is CM7 Release Candidate with a number of tweaks to make it more tablet like
original thread here -http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1002000

Update: 4/7/11 - looks like they are now at RC2 - added link below

What i like
- smooth youtube playback
- flash playback - much smoother with Dalingrin's OC (4/4/11) - Index of /dalingrin/kernels
- bluetooth works consistently with my GPS
- bottom (or top) status bar with configurable soft keys - home, menu, back - so you don't need button savior anymore
-tablet tweaks option under the cynamogen mod settings
- disable fullscreen for those apps that try to cover up the soft keys
- a dead zone above the 'N' so you don't accidentally launch something if you happen to hit the space button

plus a slew of other tweaks below
------------ copied from XDA ---------------
About
This is work-in-progress of adding highly needed tablet options to cm7 before it gets stable. Once done, it will be merged and this thread closed. Until then, you find updates here.
Most ideas are inspired or directly taken from the functionality, google added to honeycomb. since we wont see honeycomb sources for a while, we took all the best of the ideas. Thanks to the long discussion and great feedback on the first 20 pages, our list of modifications is kinda huge.

tt.RC1? WTF!?!
its RC1 of tablet tweaks. if i had just called it RC1, people would have asked if it includes CM7 RC4 over and over.
This SHOULD be bugfree. if it is, the sources will be merged to cm sources very soon. this thread will stay open for further development. its not yet over! i want to add more stuff - but to catch the cm7 stable release, we cannot include every feature.

Where is the volume remapping?
Its disabled for cm7 stable release. it will be re-enabled in cm71 nightlies. The reason is simple: its a very BIG source of possible bugs. we got volume buttons to silence phone calls, to control mp3's when screen is off, we got lockscreen disabling and we got reverse behavior of volume buttons - this is toooo much in the short time left until cm7 stable - i dont wanna be the dude who is responsible for an unstable release.

Links
Find an often updated to-do list here: http://kan.gd/3vb
find a changelog here: CyanogenMod nightlies changelog for Encore

Build for nook color
Link to RC2 4-7-11 md5sum: 36cecb5228f2822a88ba8a64efe7af20

"nightly" build based on latest sources. handle like any other nightly. flash without wipe. wipe only, if you encounter "strange issues" noone else encounters. if you look closely to the filename, you will figure out, all those numbers are in fact time and date. YYYYmmDD-HHMM. Sources checkout out of cm7 repo aprox. 30-60 minutes earlier.
all mods can be found in settings->cm settings->tablet tweaks

List of modifications (green = new since last build)
Toggle status bar top/bottom via cm settings. Changes position on the fly when setting is toggled.
Moved carrier and power notifications to bottom for bottom bar
Created "Tablet tweaks" menu in cm-settings root to gather all tablet related options in one place
Extended power menu with home/menu/back buttons. toggable on the fly via cm settings
Custom volume-long-press events (home/back/menu/call/end call/search/start-stop-music/next track/prev track/longpress home)
Added same options for both-volume-buttons press and long-press
Fixed status bar xml, so soft buttons now appear as big as the .png file is.
Solved issue about soft buttons not clickable. Their size is now determined smart by the real size of the buttons
Added option to move soft-buttons left or right
Added submenu to choose which soft buttons to display.
Added Quick-Notification-Area-Soft-Button - instantly opens/closes notification area since swiping it open is a long way on tablets
Added a Dead-Zone option, so the middle of the status bar is not clickable. Happend a lot before people click it when trying to hit space
New graphics from Drakknar in extended power menu - thanks!
Added option to toggle extended power items seperatly
Added option to reverse power button behavior (switch short-press with long-press action)
Cleaned up the options and created new submenu
complelty rewrote volume button handling to handle all our new demands
integrated Drakknars great new design and wrote code for it
lotsa tiny fixes / bugfixes
Added option to disable/override fullscreen
Added option to disable lockscreen
Disabled the animated text for ongoing notifications when softbuttons enabled. this "ticker" did hide the soft buttons for a short while
Used same status bar size for nook color than for vega now. buttons should be bigger and not stretched this way. awaiting complaints about status bar too big
added hdpi icons for resized statusbar via overlay for vega and encore this way, status bar items dont look blury anymore
added search button to list of soft-buttons - its off by default
added long-press to home, back and search soft-button
extended fullscreen handling: when a fullscreen app is running, an additional
hide-softbutton is displayed. once pressed, the app gets real fullscreen
added option to choose unhide button for fullscreen
improved hide-button handling for special situation, like app-starting-app (i.e. astro file mananger starting movie player, which does fullscreen request) and more
Bugfix release #1
Bugfix release #2 (aka tt.RC1) removed volume remapping for cm7stable, because source of too many possible bugs considering all the uses of volume buttons + lockscreen disable + reverse
code cleanup - moved most stuff to Cm classes (CmSystem, CmPhoneWindowManager, CmStatusBarView, CmButtonTracker) - am satisfied with the code now
improved fullscreen overriding in Window class. not only setFlags, but also setAttributes is intercepted now

Tips
to use back long-press, go to settings->applications->development->stop-app-via-long-press
to use search long-press go to settings->cm settings->input->search-key-behavior
If Bluetooth does not turn on, power off the nook color and turn it back on. Do not select reboot from the power menu. This is not connected to my modifications, but a often discovered cm problem on nook color. Thanks to KitF for this hint.
A better task manager? install free "task switcher" from market. on next home click, select adw as usual as standard home action. go to settings->cm settings->input->long-press home settings - select use custom application. as application, select task switcher. if you long press home now, you get a nice task switcher with recent apps instead of the build in solution.

bugs to fix
moved to the google document for more easy updating... http://kan.gd/3vb

List of known, unfriendly apps
Note: these apps break google's API in one or another way, and so are not compatible with our fullscreen handling. hopes are, they get fixed for honeycomb, and then work here, too
Kindle App: Ignores fullscreen override
n64droid: ignores fullscreen override
stock terminal emulator: crashes since it cannot get fullscreen. workaround: enable show status bar in preferences.
pocket legends: does not resize when hide status bar is executed
aldiko ebook reader: crashes when no fullscreen aquired
quick office / quick office HD: overrides fullscreen handling - does it itself and fails.
cnn news app - also handles fullscreen "its own way" and fails - hides statusbar in any way

if you find additional bugs, please feedback.

Whats next?
more bugfixing, then merging.

Disclaimer
I am not a cook. I am a cyanogenmod dev and member of teamdouche. i dont intend to build roms, once this project is merged to cm-sources. i only do this openly for two reasons: for one, i think, feedback improves code quality. Second, its not much time until cm7stable - i need as many testers as i can get so this will get bugfree.

Credits
Thanks to Samuel Halff , who not only inspired all this, but also did a rough first version of bottom status bar. Without his initial work on the idea and on the CM-Crew (telling us, this is absolutly needed), this patch wouldnt exist.

Thanks to Drakknar, who did all the graphics involved. Again, he did great work. I love team-working with him. We already did the new lockscreens.

Thanks to the Nook Color community, for mental support, feedback and the help on getting a tablet for me. Without it, i couldnt do this at all.

Screenshots
scroll to second post. this post is long enough already...

Hello spiders
my real name is sven dawitz and i hope, mentioning this here, shows up this thread above all the disgusting ultimate droid links on my google results

Last edited:

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Wow AT so glad somebody brought this over here from XDA. This MOD is the shizzle. Do you know if/when these are going to merged w/nightlies? I know one is not supposed to ask but I can't help but be a wee bit curious. I stopped updating nightlies because I (now) can't live without the tablet tweaks. Having the (highly customizable) status bar on the bottom is awesome.

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
She's a beaut isn't she - i am on tt.RC2 and it is rock solid - just waiting for the wifi fix for OC kernel so i can install it

anyways these tweaks are now officially part of CM7 so yes it will make it to the nightlies (it's in the queue for merging - CyanogenMod nightlies changelog for Encore) and the ever closer stable release

Wow AT so glad somebody brought this over here from XDA. This MOD is the shizzle. Do you know if/when these are going to merged w/nightlies? I know one is not supposed to ask but I can't help but be a wee bit curious. I stopped updating nightlies because I (now) can't live without the tablet tweaks. Having the (highly customizable) status bar on the bottom is awesome.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
You know its funny I watch that change log like its a stock ticker and I got money in the market and as soon as I turn my back for a minute BAM. Tee Hee. I just booted into RC2 and after a few, heheh tweaks, yea it is beautiful. Strangely had I not read "Used same status bar size for nook color than for vega now. buttons should be bigger and not stretched this way. awaiting complaints about status bar too big" I probably wouldn't have noticed. It is rather over large. But I don't have the heart to complain.

These devs just continue to blow my mind. Glad to know that I can jump back into the nightly wagon. Oddly felt as though I was missing out on something not having to flash a new one every night.

Again thanks.

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
So what is the absolute latest and greatest we've got so far? These things are flying at us so fast, I just can't keep up.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
According to the changelog these Tablet Tweaks are merging with nightlies CyanogenMod nightlies changelog for Encore So while it seems as though we have another ROM to play around with it will actually become a part of the build as soon as n37 is released. As I stated above it is a really nice build thus far. Its the way the NC should be laid out. It is also even MORE customizable as well.

Yeah Fast and Furious....

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
I unfortunately am still having some minor wifi issues, won't re-connect after sleep. Not sure why as it happens infrequently. This is after flashing the RC2tt. I am guessing that once it is merged that these things will be rectified.

But yes "Rock Solid" is def an apt description....

mooniegt

Feb 19, 2011
Glad to hear this will be merging with CM7 nightlies. There's always something interesting coming out of the dev community...

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Got it installed, and I dig it so far. One annoying yet nice thing: When I go to the market, it knows what I used to have installed (I formatted everything for this install) and it's trying to re-download everything at once. It keeps FCing on me. Seems to have settled down now. I think it's because I told Google to keep up with my apps. Probably not the ROM's fault.

gbeardmore

Mar 17, 2011
I unfortunately am still having some minor wifi issues, won't re-connect after sleep. Not sure why as it happens infrequently. This is after flashing the RC2tt. I am guessing that once it is merged that these things will be rectified.

But yes "Rock Solid" is def an apt description....

Could be because you inadvertently went into Airplane Mode. Once you do that, your Settings.db file is set to turn on Airplane Mode after each re-boot, there by killing Wi-Fi. Use the app SQLite to edit your Settings.db file. ( In SQLite navigate to Settings Storage/Settings.db/System). Find the line Airplane_Mode_On (line 76 in mine) and edit the value from ON to Off.

Worked for me. :)

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Beautiful Widgets is loading rather slowly... When you add a widget, it seems to die, but if you let it sit for a minute, it comes up. Not great, but workable. Aldiko, on the other hand, seems to work just fine despite what the write-up says.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Got it installed, and I dig it so far. One annoying yet nice thing: When I go to the market, it knows what I used to have installed (I formatted everything for this install) and it's trying to re-download everything at once. It keeps FCing on me. Seems to have settled down now. I think it's because I told Google to keep up with my apps. Probably not the ROM's fault.

Same thing happened to me, turn off auto sync and you should be all good.

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
But I like auto sync.. I needs auto sync.. I can't has auto sync??! Why can't I has auto sync?!??!?!

*Insert pic of cheezeburger cat here*

(after the initial widget install, it works just fine. My NC must have still been doing that "settling" thing when I tried to install it earlier.. It adds just perfectly now.. So I can has auto sync!)

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
tumblr_lgzaz0pdyU1qav3uso1_1280.jpg

There you go....