[ROM] Nookie Comb 0.4.13!!! (Froyo 2.2 based) Updated 4/13/2011

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Hey everyone,

I'm still relatively new to developing, and this is just my first start getting my feet wet (My very first ROM). Anyway... here it is:

Welcome to Nookie Comb!

This ROM is based off of Nookie Froyo 0.6.8, thanks to Cicada and the Nook devs for all of their awesome work.
To be clear, I may or may not be entirely speedy on updates, but I will do as I can as time goes on.

I highly recommend using a Clockworkmod 3.1.0 SD card to flash this zip, as that's what I've been using and haven't tested any others.
As for the ROM, I think phiredrop says it best:

I am not responsible for any damages you may encounter (though you probably won’t). This is a Clockwork flashable zip only. It WILL erase your internal memory. Please make the necessary backups.

Features

• Includes latest force status bar hack for Honeycomb like experience!!! (Thanks brianf21!!)
  • Choose between dalgrin's OC kernel or stock
  • Based on Nookie Froyo 0.6.8
  • Implements brianf21 and samuelhalff's bottom status bar implementation.
  • Altered the status bar and notification items to Honeycomb style positions
  • Customized LauncherPro v0.8.3 (based on s23's original version here)
  • Honeycomb Lockscreen Clock Font
  • Accurate Honeycomb Battery mod
  • Theming based on wretchedlocket and valle mod's themes
  • Honeybee boot animation
Apps
  • Gapps included
  • Notion Ink Keyboard (AWESOME!)
  • Honeycomb Clock Free
  • Miui Music (Br1cK'd version from phiremod)
  • Notion Ink Canvas, E-mail, and Quickoffice included from here
  • NookColor UMS
  • NookColorUtils to force/unforce statusbar

Probably more stuff but that's all I recall

Installation

NOTE: Flash with the latest ClockworkMod Recovery/via ClockworkMod Recovery SD. This version is fully compatible with any Clockwork used for Nookie Froyo 0.6.8 (see the Nookie Froyo page here)
  • Copy "NookieCombvXXX.zip" to the root of your SD
  • Place SD in nook and power on
  • Format SYSTEM, DATA and CACHE (You do not need to wipe if coming from a previous version!)
  • Flash Nookie Comb
  • Once finished flashing, unmount your sdcard, remove from the slot and reboot.
  • Give your nook a few minutes to stabilize on first boot. Choose LauncherPro initially as your first action. You will have to adjust your softkeys settings to remove the little floating guy in the case you launch Softkeys, as well as want to set up how your button activate each launcher.
  • Once stable, I recommend a reboot. Helps prevent any issues.
  • You should be able to sign in to market right off the bat.
  • I highly recommend using my launcherpro_backup setting in the link below. This hides a few unusable apps, as well as sets up your home screen rows/columns and colors. To install, just unzip the launchepro_backup.zip to the root of your sdcard. Hit the menu button, select "Preferences" in LauncherPro, then "Restore Backup"
  • That's it!

Notes
- Select the NI keyboard by holding your finger over a text box, selecting Input Method -> NI Keyboard
- If Sd card isn't read initially, go to Settings->SD card and phone storage-> Unmount SD card. Then, select Mount SD card.

Additional
-Compatible with Froyo based kernels.
-Highly recommend downloading Desktop Visualizer from the market and using the HoneyComb Icons pack below to create Honeycomb-like widgets!!

Still in works
Got everything mostly fixed... hmmmm...

Downloads
Latest
NookieComb v0.4.13.zip
NookieComb OC Edition v0.4.13.zip

Older versions
NookieComb v0.4.2.zip
NookieComb OC Edition v0.4.2.zip
NookieComb v0.4.1.zip
NookieComb OC Edition v0.4.1.zip
NookieComb v0.3.30.zip

Launcher Pro Settings
(Makes the homescreens PRETTY, more rows columns, removes launcherpro default look, hides unusable apps,
Highly recommended, unzip folder to root of sd, then go into LauncherPro Preferences, Restore Backup)

Other optional stuff
Honeycomb wallpapers re-packed for Nook Color
Honey Comb Icons for Desktop Visualizer (DL from Market)

Changelog

NookieComb v0.4.13
  • Added and modified brianf21's Status bar toggle application with new icons
  • Added QuickDesk Launcher application (set this guy as default). This will allow you to toggle the status bar within any other application by double tapping the hard home button. You can set LauncherPro from within QuickDesk
  • Replaced NookColorUtils with Nookie-Froyo Utils
  • Adjusted a few font colors for readability. Less black on black
  • Removed MIUI Music .apk
  • Added new Honeycomb/Gingerbread Music.apk. (Hide Jumper test using my new launcherpro_backup.zip)
  • Removed my April Fool's day joke
    frown.gif

NookieComb v0.4.2
  • Updated init.rc in uRamdisk to mount the internal 5.0GB storage to /media. You can access this using a file manager
  • Moved the notification icons and notification toggle button to the right.
  • Changed the notification toggle button to a big freakin' "i" inside a circle. Looks secksy.
  • Adjusted a few more font colors for better readability in some situations
  • Changed OC version to the version recommended above. This is not dalgrin's latest, but fixes all those wifi and related issues using his newer kernel
  • Added back stock Email application
  • Added a little something extra...

NookieComb v0.4.1
  • Included Overclocked version with dalingrin's OC kernel and in addition non-overclocked version
  • Updated Fonts colors!
  • Includes 3/31 Statusbar hack from brianf21. You can now force statusbar people!
  • Made the statusbar a little smaller (36dip)
  • Reduced size of progress and seekbars. They should look a little more sexy now...
  • Added NookColorUtils to allow users the ability to enable/disable statusbar always on
  • All I can think of now

Special Thanks:
Cicada
wretchedlocket (huge thanks!)
brianf21
samuelhalff
obsessionXYZ
gojimi
Source: [ROM][ZIP] Nookie Comb 0.4.2!!! (Froyo-based) Updated 4/2/2011 - xda-developers

Seems interesting. The more roms the merrier. :)

Last edited:

bluewhite79

Mar 21, 2011
I want to start trying out ROMs now that I have CWR installed. NookieComb looks interesting for a first ROM to try.

Question, Once I flash the ROM, can i just restore all my apps from titanium backup? I bought the full version and have everything backed up. I assume i just need to go to the market, download titanium backup and restore all of my apps? how will TItanium backup "know" that i have the full version? Should i get the free version, than do a "restore" of my paid version? Then once that is done, restore all apps?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Good find Rico. There needed to be some more development of the "older" ROMs and this seems to fit the bill. Might be a good way to go for those who just wanted a little more out of Nookie Froyo.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I want to start trying out ROMs now that I have CWR installed. NookieComb looks interesting for a first ROM to try.

Question, Once I flash the ROM, can i just restore all my apps from titanium backup? I bought the full version and have everything backed up. I assume i just need to go to the market, download titanium backup and restore all of my apps? how will TItanium backup "know" that i have the full version? Should i get the free version, than do a "restore" of my paid version? Then once that is done, restore all apps?

What are you currently running? If you are on a similar ROM (Phiremod Beta 2 or NookieFroyo), you won't have to wipe all you apps, just your chaches. Market will remember what you have bought based on your account, so when you login to Market it will already know you have TB Pro. Then you can just run the restore and you should be good.

Pyro6128

Dec 11, 2010

Yea you will be able to restore fine. I'm not sure if its the same still, since I bought titanium a while ago, but I have a license file they sent me that youre supposed to keep on the root of our sd, and thats how it knows you paid. Now that the paid version is in the market separately though, I don't think that needs to be done anymore. Like the above poster said, I think the market will just know. I kinda like the license on the sd card though, makes sure that even with market issues I can always have titanium up and running perfectly.

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
I've never used Titanium to backup or restore my stuff, because I look at it from a different perspective. When you format, it's a chance to start fresh and not be bothered by mistakes you made in a previous setup. I like to re-download and install everything fresh, so nothing lingers from one build to another. It's not as easy, but I feel it's better.

bluewhite79

Mar 21, 2011
I've never used Titanium to backup or restore my stuff, because I look at it from a different perspective. When you format, it's a chance to start fresh and not be bothered by mistakes you made in a previous setup. I like to re-download and install everything fresh, so nothing lingers from one build to another. It's not as easy, but I feel it's better.

while that is actually a good way of thinking, you do end up losing progress in video games. Like Angry birds! So, i'm thinking its much more preferrable to back-up at least a few of your fav's so that you can continue your progress where you've left off.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Is this just a Honeycomb skinned froyo Rom? Says it is based on Nookie froyo. The screen caps make it look like it is HC.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Is this just a Honeycomb skinned froyo Rom? Says it is based on Nookie froyo. The screen caps make it look like it is HC.

Yes, I think mostly that is what it is with a couple of tweaks.

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
i have 50+ apps :) titanium makes its sooo much more convenient

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Update to OP:
NookieComb v0.4.2

Change log

• Updated init.rc in uRamdisk to mount the internal 5.0GB storage to /media. You can access this using a file manager
  • Moved the notification icons and notification toggle button to the right.
  • Changed the notification toggle button to a big freakin' "i" inside a circle. Looks secksy.
  • Adjusted a few more font colors for better readability in some situations
  • Changed OC version to the version recommended above. This is not dalgrin's latest, but fixes all those wifi and related issues using his newer kernel
  • Added back stock Email application
  • Added a little something extra...
Downloads
Latest
NookieComb v0.4.2.zip
NookieComb OC Edition v0.4.2.zip