[ROM] XAUMOD Firmware for 2 speaker APAD IMX515 (modded for Two Speaker, Clone)

tekowalsky

Jan 1, 2011
This system image will almost certainly NOT work on an 8", single speaker (2 screws) tablet!

If you install this on a single speaker iMX515 tablet you will probably find your screen stuck upside down. On the other hand, if you have a two speaker imx515 tablet and installed a ROM that made your screen stay upside down this ROM will probably fix your screen rotation.

This is a modified version of XAUMOD. XAUMOD is a great, stable ROM. I made very few changes.

I added ts.conf to /system/etc. Tweaking ts.conf may correct some screen jitter on your tablet. If you have screen jitter ts.conf will almost certainly not completely fix the issue. You
will need to tweak the numbers for your own tablet to see best results. (Screen jitter is actually caused by a hardware issue.)

This has only been tested on my own two speaker iMX515 tablet.
You install at your own risk, and I make no guarantee you will have no problems, etc. You know the drill.

Please read the first sentence at the top of this post again - if you are certain you have a two speaker (no screws) clone,
click here to download the two speaker version of the XAUMOD firmware.

To install:
Unzip system.img and system.md5 from the download.
Put both files in /sdcard on your tablet.
Power off your tablet.
Hold down the menu and home keys while turning on your tablet.
Don't let go of the menu and home keys until you see the penguin.
You should see the recovery menu when the tablet has booted.
"Update System"
"Wipe cache partition"
"Wipe data/factory reset" (this WILL
delete all apps and data in your internal memory)
"Reboot system now"

After reboot you will need to calibrate your touch screen and set up your accounts and apps again. If you have backed up your applications, I strongly recommend
do not restore any system apps from your backups. You will most likely have an unstable install if you do.

Changes From the original XauMOD in this version:

• replaced sensors driver with two speaker sensors driver
  • added ts.conf to system/etc
  • removed pinyin keyboard files
For any other questions please see the great post by Xaueious for his original XauMOD.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
I'll try this out, and post back the results. Thanks.

EDIT:So everything seemed to work, I followed all the instructions but it didn't do a factory reset, I still had most if not all my apps and themes and such. And I don't know if this is a problem, but the notification bar is a black color. But as far as I can tell everything is working great! Could you give a tutorial on how to change the ts.config to somewhat fix the touchscreen problem?

Last edited:

tekowalsky

Jan 1, 2011
I'll try this out, and post back the results. Thanks.

EDIT:So everything seemed to work, I followed all the instructions but it didn't do a factory reset, I still had most if not all my apps and themes and such. And I don't know if this is a problem, but the notification bar is a black color. But as far as I can tell everything is working great! Could you give a tutorial on how to change the ts.config to somewhat fix the touchscreen problem?

The black notification bar is part of the XAUMOD. Xaueious tweaked the notification bar to look more like the Gingerbread notification bar. The bar is black in Gingerbread instead of white.

You'll need to tinker with the numbers of the ts.conf to see what works for your tablet. Try changing them just a little bit at a time to get a feel for what each does. Some people report being able to use ts.conf to cut down on the jitter. Some people say ts.conf didn't help.
Note: Be careful not too change them too fast. One of them should control the sensitivity of your tablet. If you set it wrong you might not be able to use the touch screen.

There are no guarantees but I was able to get some jitter improvement on my tablet. The real problem causing the jitter is a manufacturing/design defect in the hardware. The only fairly certain way to really cut down on the jitter involves soldering capacitors on one of the circuit boards.

Here's a link to the man page for the ts.conf file:
ts.conf man page
The parameters used in ts.conf are listed and explained in the "Module Parameters" section of the man page.

ts.conf is located at
/system/etc/ts.conf
You can edit the file with a text editor.

Good luck!

Last edited:

aardvarq

Feb 26, 2011
I've been playing around with ts.conf for a while on both ATP and Xaueious firmware but the results seem inconsistent for me.

There be something in /system/apps or elsewhere that ts.conf actually configures. Does anyone know the name of that executable?

Besides ts.conf, what else does the tablet need to apply those filters?

...You'll need to tinker with the numbers of the ts.conf to see what works for your tablet. ...

Thanks
Dave

Nov 28, 2010
Is it possible to remove all the cell phone features? Like messaging and phone and stuff? Its descreasing my performance drastically. Like A process called "Cell Standby" Is using up to around 80% of my battery. It's gotten so bad that even using a browser gets to be slow. Did anyone else have this issue?

Last edited:

Amrod

Mar 6, 2011
Hi everyone,

a couple of weeks ago I bought an APAD imx515 FR-809. This one has two speakers, but no screws at all. Does this firmware update work with my model?

FYI:

Model number: imx51_bbg
Kernel version: 2.6.31-01012-g4f92f83-dirty root@taojixiong-desktop #40
Compilation number: imx51_bbg-eng 2.2 FRF85B eng.root.20101218.234653 test-keys

Thanks un advance!!!

Last edited: