[ROM] XAUMOD Firmware for 2 speaker APAD IMX515 (modded for Two Speaker, Clone)

timjhoward

Mar 10, 2011
Hi everyone,

a couple of weeks ago I bought an APAD imx515 FR-809. This one has two speakers, but no screws at all. Does this firmware update work with my model?

FYI:

Model number: imx51_bbg
Kernel version: 2.6.31-01012-g4f92f83-dirty root@taojixiong-desktop #40
Compilation number: imx51_bbg-eng 2.2 FRF85B eng.root.20101218.234653 test-keys

Thanks un advance!!!

I bought an identical model for my wife last week. It had all sorts of issues, Wi-Fi kept powering down, screen very unresponsive, many apps failed to run etc. I followed these instructions last night and was back up and running in no time....

The only instructions I would add are -

1) remove any external MicroSD storage you have, first time round I left mine inserted and the "Wipe Data/Factory Reset" part didn't appear to work (on booting the device after update my apps were still there, the desktop layout was the same and I wasn't asked to do the screen calibration etc.).

2) I had to perform a hard reset straight afterwards as my device kept stating it was "unable to scan for networks" when trying to discover my home wifi. I just used a pin on the reset button (next to the USB connection). This might be something unique to my device but worth mentioning just in case, have had no problems since.

The result is amazing, the screen is a lot better in terms of touch, in fact my wifes fingernails have made the perfect stylus, she was better than me on Angry Birds with me using the capacitive screen of my Advent Vega alongside! The OS seems quicker and by installing some of the additional apps suggested in the original XAUMOD post it's turned out to be quite a nice little tablet!

Amrod

Mar 6, 2011
I bought an identical model for my wife last week. It had all sorts of issues, Wi-Fi kept powering down, screen very unresponsive, many apps failed to run etc. I followed these instructions last night and was back up and running in no time....

The only instructions I would add are -

1) remove any external MicroSD storage you have, first time round I left mine inserted and the "Wipe Data/Factory Reset" part didn't appear to work (on booting the device after update my apps were still there, the desktop layout was the same and I wasn't asked to do the screen calibration etc.).

2) I had to perform a hard reset straight afterwards as my device kept stating it was "unable to scan for networks" when trying to discover my home wifi. I just used a pin on the reset button (next to the USB connection). This might be something unique to my device but worth mentioning just in case, have had no problems since.

The result is amazing, the screen is a lot better in terms of touch, in fact my wifes fingernails have made the perfect stylus, she was better than me on Angry Birds with me using the capacitive screen of my Advent Vega alongside! The OS seems quicker and by installing some of the additional apps suggested in the original XAUMOD post it's turned out to be quite a nice little tablet!

Sometimes, I have too the WIFI issue.. the only way I can make it work is restarting the router!! Hilarious... In the other hand, screen responds quite well (just a couple of times had the "shaking screen" issue) and I have already removed and/or updated all the apps included.

Didn't you backup the ROM before you installed the xaumod firmware update? In case positive, how did you do it? I've been unable to connect it with my computer, neither under windows 7 or ubuntu.. Is there any REAL NOOB guide to backup my system before updating??

keijames

Dec 10, 2010
Very fast after 2nd restart of A8 pad with this new ROM. Excellent !

Once more feature I need, App2sd scripts, to link /data/apps to internal of external mSD card to enlarge the size, currently ~250mb kind of not enough for old apps/game.

Will it be a gingerbread or android 3.0 version of ROM ?

cheers

James

KillerKink

Developer
Mar 16, 2011
My /sdcard for unknown reason seem to be changed to the external microsd slot. However, I am still able to boot up and can use my 1gb microsd as the /sdcard.

I have another 8gb microsd that I am thinking of loading bigD firmware which seem to involved duplicating the image on sdcard. Will it work on extsd mapped as /sdcard? Really had a hardtime understanding if sdcard is really required to bootup?

My tablet seem to be the 2 speaker 8" Cortex A8.

Amrod

Mar 6, 2011
Sick and tired of trying to figure out how to back my FR 809 up (Two speakers, no screws), I decided to update it anyway.. So far, everything seems to be okay...

coze

May 3, 2011
man this stuff is so awesome ! being trying figure out how to fix the orientation issue ... thanks !

rchoi999

May 7, 2011
Hi,

I could not download the file, after clicking the download link, "Sorry, we are unable to scan this file for viruses." comes up and clicking the "Download anyway", nothing happens. Anybody can help or give me another link. Thanks.

bazil

Apr 29, 2011
With new firmware, TF card will be accessed with name SDCard [old extsd]. This memory extension is usually formatted as FAT/FAT32 [stock].
Internal FlashRom 4Gb I can't access now :=(.
I tried to boot Tablet without TF card inserted and booting process is ok -it means is not considered in boot sequence.

My question is - for future firmwares, recovery process will work with files copied on new SDCard from slot of TF card?? (now files system.img and system.md5 was copied on root SDcard internal flashrom).

Later Edit:
- Access internal FlashRom solved - see http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...extsd-couldnt-accesed-after-new-firmware.html
- File \system\etc\vold.fstab changed for stock assignment of devices - sdcard for internal FlashRom and extsd for external TF card
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/mxsdhci.0/mmc_host/mmc0
dev_mount extsd /mnt/extsd auto /devices/platform/mxsdhci.2/mmc_host/mmc2
dev_mount udisk /mnt/udisk auto /devices/platform/fsl-ehci.1/usb

Last edited:

fernanrl

Nov 26, 2010
I just updated mine with this version. Works perfectly!!! Many thanks. Now I have to figure out how to make my 3G USB work (GI0451)

RotKT

Jun 28, 2011
it kept giving this error:
md5 file error 1
system.md5 file error;

did i do something wrong?

cslink

May 5, 2012
Can I complete this mod in some way even if I have no TF card? If not, what type of card (specifically) do you suggest I get? I'm not familiar with TF. Is there a size limitation, etc.?

Additional info: I purchases a Sandisk micro SDHC 32GB thinking I could use it temporarily here and then use it somewhere else later. But, it physically doesn't fit in the tablet's slot.

Thanks,

Last edited: