Rooted Nook Color vs. Samsung Galaxy Tablet

Mar 16, 2011
Thats not exactly a "Fairer" evaluation. When you do an evaluation of two objects you're supposed to do it unbiased. Which means going through a list feature by feature and showing how each devices does. He only did that for what the nook has, not all the other features the Galaxy Tablet has. Features that are important to a lot of people like GPS, Bluetooth, Text Messaging Capabilities, plus its guaranteed honeycomb and not a thrown together version. I dont know about you, but softkeys is a pain in the butt. I'd much rather have physical keys and there are a lot more accessories for the Galaxy because it is a tablet. The nook only has B&N accessories as an e-reader. I've had the Nook color and I returned it for the Galaxy. Not to mention I only paid $99 for the Galaxy and $250 for the Nook Color. Plus the nook is wifi only, so unless I'm near a hotspot I'm screwed.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Thats not exactly a "Fairer" evaluation. When you do an evaluation of two objects you're supposed to do it unbiased. Which means going through a list feature by feature and showing how each devices does. He only did that for what the nook has, not all the other features the Galaxy Tablet has. Features that are important to a lot of people like GPS, Bluetooth, Text Messaging Capabilities, plus its guaranteed honeycomb and not a thrown together version. I dont know about you, but softkeys is a pain in the butt. I'd much rather have physical keys and there are a lot more accessories for the Galaxy because it is a tablet. The nook only has B&N accessories as an e-reader. I've had the Nook color and I returned it for the Galaxy. Not to mention I only paid $99 for the Galaxy and $250 for the Nook Color. Plus the nook is wifi only, so unless I'm near a hotspot I'm screwed.

Not being mean, but then why are you here?

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
My guess like many to minimalize the Nook Color. A little too late I'd say. Its funny seeing this old video now and how far the NC has come. I think I'll keep all our development.

chmoto

Mar 6, 2011
3g would be cool but after you pay for the service for a year you'll have paid will more than $250. i know everyone likes to feel like they have the best of everything but to each their own. Plus all the cool kids have a wifi app on their phones! jk. lol. I'm sure there are more capable tablets out the but the Nook Color is great for me.

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

muslimmamma

Mar 10, 2011
It would also be more *FAIR* if they were running it on a rooted Galaxy tab which is obviously much faster as well. I dont really think this video proves much except that the NC is nice and so is the Samsung.

I think its like comparing a tricycle to a mountain bike, and having someone drive the tricycle fast and the mountain bike slow. It doesnt really prove the tricycle is better, just proves that that one was going faster that one time. OH yeah and the mountain bike comes with a water bottle holder, brakes and alot more things that most people would want, and yes it costs more.

Last edited:

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011

AF,you are an angry warrior but angry at the nook? What did this little e-reader without bluetooth, text messaging capabilities, no guaranteed honeycomb and expensive did to you? You got what you
like so just go on, enjoy it. I do enjoy my nook color so much that I don' t have the time to go on other tablets forum talking s... about their favourite tablets, neither do all the other members on this forum.
Gloria

Last edited:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
The basic point of the video was to show the Nook Color, once rooted, can be as nice, as fast and as software capable as the higher priced Galaxy tab.

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Well said Gloria. Some people just have no respect. He's got 1 post, and it's a rant against the NC. Yeah, he'll go far around here.

Rico, this video is one of the things that helped me decide to root in the first place. Thanks for posting it. :cool:

Angrywarrior... Learn some manners kid. Going to someone's house and peeing on their couch is considered rude. So is going to a forum and trashing the device everyone loves.

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
Guys he made correct points.

He only did that for what the nook has, not all the other features the Galaxy Tablet has.

Features that are important to a lot of people like GPS, Bluetooth, Text Messaging Capabilities, plus its guaranteed honeycomb and not a thrown together version.

Plus the nook is wifi only, so unless I'm near a hotspot I'm screwed.

But thing is Nook Color is cheaper than Tab and also it's an e-reader, not a tablet. Hence there is no point comparing them both as they designed for different purposes and they are of different price tags.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Guys he made correct points.
But thing is Nook Color is cheaper than Tab and also it's an e-reader, not a tablet. Hence there is no point comparing them both as they designed for different purposes and they are of different price tags.

Except, irregardless of their original intent, they were both rooted and running a similar ROM -- then compare them actually doing the same tasks side by side... that would be a decent comparison. I would expect the TAB to outperform the NC on most processing tasks since it has dual-core. Otherwise, the differences are either worth the extra money or not. That's personal opinion though.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
I have 5 different devices that take pictures...and I don't want to do any video calling (unless she was hot of course)...and I already pay for a data connection that goes where I do. My NC does pretty much everything I could ask.

With that said, a 10" tablet (Xoom, not ipad) that was my couch tablet would be nice. A little bigger screen for when I am lounging around in the livingroom would be cool, but I would still be using my NC on the go (I read while I do cardio at the gym)

jakie55

Aug 30, 2010
First off, I think the nook color is a GREAT device, and if I could get one at close to the US price, in Canada, I would have done so. The only ones I could get were on ebay, and I was leary of that. They were also "offered" at a low price of $280 at minimum :) I managed to pick up a Galaxy Tab 3 G at a special price that was only a bit more than the ebay nook price. It was a family deal, and a "demo" unit, so I lucked out. I think that both units serve their purpose, and it sure is great to see the nook being utilized at close to its potential. We can only hope the Galaxy tab will be so utilized as well. It is too bad that people feel the need to bash other units, just because it isn't what they have. Cognitive dissonance anyone?

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
^
I believe, and most will agree, we are a good forum/community with spirited debaters and for the most part most of us do not bash. To say something negative about a device without a proper explanation why, I'd considered bashing. For most reviews, articles and posts I've read, their only objective was to state the Nook Color was on par with the Samsung Galaxy tab, not to belittle it. To me, all tabs running android are already in the same family and it comes down to how much you are willing to spend and what features are important to you.