Rooting Help

mattls

Dec 21, 2010
I have an A70 on 2.1.4
I am not really sure what rooting is. What can you do with a rooted device, what are the advantages, disadvantages, etc.
Also what is the best way to root my device if I choose to.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
rooting is unlocking your device so you can use it to its full potential.

Feb 7, 2011
In windows you have admin. Admins can do whatever they want on the system. In Linux you have "root" or SU (superuser). Once you have root you can do whatever you want on the system.

In regards to Android systems, when you root your device, you are essentially gaining the right to change anything you want on the system. In the context of phones, you can remove bloatware (undesired apps that come pre-installed), change the format and general colors of the phone... in this way you can go from stock android to running various ROMs such as Chevy all the way to MIUI (which look and behave very differently).

Another advantage to rooting is overclocking. In this example I'll use the Droid 1. The original Droid's processor ran at 550 mhz, which is kind of slow.. lucky for us there was no Moto Blur or SensUI bogging down it's ability to handle graphics. However, once rooted you can over clock the processor to safely run at 1.2 ghz. By switching out various kernals one can extend the battery life of their device, completely wreck it, cause bootloops, etc... it's a hit or miss, trial and error type of thing.

For me, a main motivating factor in rooting my device came from the notifcation bar on the original droid... I hated that it was white. ^_^

Disadvantage. Well, technically, there aren't any from the phone point of view; however, from an archos view point, to root you have to install SDK which is said to 'watermark' your device. No one has ever seen this watermark, but Archos claims that it is there. Even uninstalling SDK will not remove the watermark. Rooting voids your warranty. So Archos claims that if you root your device you are no longer covered by their warranty and they will not fix your device even if you uninstall SDK.

Rebuttal to Archos: In practical terms you can brick your device... making it absolutely useless; however, with the ability to download the original firmware... no matter what you do to your device you should always be able to download the original firmware and install it from the boot menu. Furthermore, Archos runs a suppressor... meaning that as long as you do not delete the original firmware, rebooting your device should revert the system files back to their original configuration. If you root, you have the option to leave the original firmware. Anytime you want root, you have to reboot the device and access the boot menu and select Developer Edition, it loads Android with Root. For all practical situations, bricking your device is almost impossible.

Last but not least, the only other pro to rooting is that ability to access the system files themselves. Even with Archangle one click root, and Root Explorer you can not make changes to any files in the /System folder. You can view them, which is something you typically can't do, but you do need actual SDK root to change the files themselves. This is important if you follow my posts and see that I'm interested in finding a working wpa_supplicant.conf file that would allow the Archos to connect to adhoc wireless connections. But this is getting deep.

For new people, the pros are faster system (overclocking), the ability to install ROMs (if there are any??), the ability to run programs that require root (such as Titanium Backup, ads free, etc), and the right to do any damn thing you want to a system you paid for.

Cons - Loss of Warranty.

mattls

Dec 21, 2010
Alright so far rooting sounds great but I have a couple more questions
1. What are roms and how can you get them?
2. What is the safest and best way to root my Archos?

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
The only way to get root right now is to:
1. Void your warranty and install URUKDroid build
2. Not have moved past 2.0.54 Firmware. Any version 2.0.71 or higher will not allow root without voiding your warranty.

The bottom line question I always ask is.... Will getting Root really make a difference in your use experience. If Yes, then consider applying root and voiding your Archos warranty. If not, then consider the limited root of ArchAngel.

Archos for those who are not familiar, has always tried to lock the device down as much as possible. This includes removing Root, making the core elements RO and serializing elements to crypto lock the device. This is fine if you are not planning to experiment and work within the sandbox. Not so well with the Developers or experimenters.

Feb 7, 2011
Not to play it down, but you can actually root different ways... and while Archangel does give you root, I found it was partial. Running Archangel I was unable to edit, save, or otherwise change any file in the /system folder. I've been playing with the wpa_supplicant.conf file trying to get the Archos to connect to an ad hoc network. Haven't found a resolution, but when I rooted with Archangel I was unable to change the wpa_supplicant or the tiwlan.ini files. I had to root with SDK in order to get access to those files.

While you can root with URUKDroid I tended towards a different way,

[HOWTO] Root easily your Gen8 device [fw 2.0.71 - 2.1.08] + R/W FILESYSTEM - xda-developers

Yes you still void your warranty; however, I liked this method as I can load my Archos into the standard (no root) by just rebooting. If I need root I can reboot into Developer Edition and I have root. The method above supports firmware up to 2.1.08 which, if memory serves, is the latest?

As far as ROMs are considered. I've really only run across one. The ROM community isn't really behind our device. There just isn't enough interest to provoke the kind of support that you find for phones or mainstream devices. I have considered talking to Jamezelle on how hard it would be to port MIUI over to the archos... but I'm thinking, taking into consideration that there need be a custom kernal that this task at this time would be almost impossible.

OFRD_GRL

Mar 15, 2011
Not to play it down, but you can actually root different ways... and while Archangel does give you root, I found it was partial. Running Archangel I was unable to edit, save, or otherwise change any file in the /system folder. I've been playing with the wpa_supplicant.conf file trying to get the Archos to connect to an ad hoc network. Haven't found a resolution, but when I rooted with Archangel I was unable to change the wpa_supplicant or the tiwlan.ini files. I had to root with SDK in order to get access to those files.

While you can root with URUKDroid I tended towards a different way,

[HOWTO] Root easily your Gen8 device [fw 2.0.71 - 2.1.08] + R/W FILESYSTEM - xda-developers

Yes you still void your warranty; however, I liked this method as I can load my Archos into the standard (no root) by just rebooting. If I need root I can reboot into Developer Edition and I have root. The method above supports firmware up to 2.1.08 which, if memory serves, is the latest?

As far as ROMs are considered. I've really only run across one. The ROM community isn't really behind our device. There just isn't enough interest to provoke the kind of support that you find for phones or mainstream devices. I have considered talking to Jamezelle on how hard it would be to port MIUI over to the archos... but I'm thinking, taking into consideration that there need be a custom kernal that this task at this time would be almost impossible.

So everytime you reboot it goes into non rooted version? Or it gives you the choice to run regular or rooted?
Because one thing I have noticed with my archos is it likes regular rebooting... let me rephrase that.. it NEEDS regular rebooting, and actually reboots itself on its own for some reason unbeknownst to me...
Im new to all of this and def. want to root mine (a70 250gb).... I'm not too concerned with voiding warranty.. but I do want to extend battery life, get rid of bloatware and see what else I can do to it....

pstroka

Jan 5, 2012
Hi everyone

I am completely and utterly new to Android Tablets.
I own an Archos 101it and was told that I could upgrade to Gingerbread or even higher.
If this is correct and I would like to learn in simple steps how to do that.
I am aware that this could and will void my warranty (which runs out soon anyway)
I am wondering if rooting is the first step and if someone is willing to guide a novice thru the process.
Thank you

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Whoever told you you could update a Gen8 tablet was partially talking through their hat. If they meant a factory Firmware, Not gonna happen. If they meant using a Community Firmware, it is possible with Cyanogen and a few others. Do a google search on Cyanogen and Archos Gen8 +101 and you should find instructions.

Hi everyone

I am completely and utterly new to Android Tablets.
I own an Archos 101it and was told that I could upgrade to Gingerbread or even higher.
If this is correct and I would like to learn in simple steps how to do that.
I am aware that this could and will void my warranty (which runs out soon anyway)
I am wondering if rooting is the first step and if someone is willing to guide a novice thru the process.
Thank you

jeanuhlik

Apr 5, 2013
Help, (PLEASE) I just "re-rooted) my Archos 101it tablet....I missed the setup screen where you fill out all the information on who you are (the developer)...now when I power it on, it gives me the Archos logo, then developers logo (angstrom) but then goes to very itsy bitsy lettering :

The angstrom distribution archos-gen-8
Angstrom 2009.X-stable archos-gen-8 tty1
archos-gen8 log in:

It does not respond to the touch screen. I am just sick inside...I had this tablet since mid-2011 and never did anything much with it, then after a download from Amazon, I started getting this popup saying that certain things could not open...lots of people had this error message, thus the reason for googling to this forum. I thank ANYONE in advance who can help me out...any way to get back to the screen to put in my user information and log in passcodes??? Jeanie

ps...then the new os version (android for Archos) that the person who wrote the tutorial on how to re-root is no longer available. (scream) I will need to know how to download the new op if I ever find it 8-(

Last edited: