SD Class 10 cards?

Kemper

Mar 15, 2012
OK, I am having an awful time with my Tab reloading from my SD card. I have a 32 gig class 4 card with 18 G used on it.

I noted someone said they now make class 10 micro cards. Would that card load faster, or is that just for video?

Getting tired of the forcing close on the launcher every other time I boot up.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
A class 10 card should help things load faster but it really depends on the brand on the card

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I use class 10 myself, won't help you though. You most likely are a windows user so your sdcard is formatted as fat32 which is the weakest filesystem available . Fat32 corrupts very easily.

Even a class 10 using fat32 will become corrupt after a while of heavy use.

Oct 10, 2011
You most likely are a windows user so your sdcard is formatted as fat32 which is the weakest filesystem available

Huh? Each and every SD card comes from the factory pre-formatted with FAT-32 (back in the older days it was FAT-16). This is because just about every device that has a SD slot expects to see FAT-32. Windows will allow you to format your card to NTFS but I seriously doubt any Android device would be able to read it.

Your SD card is like any other hard drive. After repeated write/delete cycles files will become fragmented. This is exactly why all operating systems include a defrag utility in their tools folder. Defragging can be a slow operation so on a SD card it can be much quicker to offload those files to a HD, reformat the card and then reload the files onto the freshly formatted card.

Apple owners might be able to format a SD card to HFS+ (don't know for sure as I believe the last good Apple made was the IIc) but I'm sure that card couldn't be read on anything outside Apple's closed system.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Us Linux guys format it as Ext4, fat32 is the worst file system
It's used cause windows can't read Linux filesystems

Kemper

Mar 15, 2012
A class 10 card should help things load faster but it really depends on the brand on the card

So what brand do you recommend? I thought all class 10 cards were class 10 cards? I don't thing my SD is fragmented in four months. I think the Tab doesn't have enough memory to load all the apps on the sd card without crashing. I am getting another unit will only load half the apps and see if it still crashes.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
It's been my experience that class 4 is all you need for anything you'll be doing on your tablet. I watch movies and videos, flash ROMs, back up apps with Titanium, back up ROMs with ROM Manager, and listen to music all on class 4 without a problem. I've been using Patriot cards since they were the least expensive, again without a problem. A class 10 card would be great for a high end camera taking high definition pictures, so you wouldn't have to wait between shots while the huge pictures are being stored on the SD card. The only time you might see a difference would be when transferring from the PC to the SD card.

drum4ever

Dec 2, 2011
OK, I am having an awful time with my Tab reloading from my SD card. I have a 32 gig class 4 card with 18 G used on it.

I noted someone said they now make class 10 micro cards. Would that card load faster, or is that just for video?

Getting tired of the forcing close on the launcher every other time I boot up.

If the "force close" you are talking about is the second initialize the Vizio has to do before the SD apps willl show, that is normal. It takes a bit but well worth the wait to have SD app support. My Galaxy S phone does the same thing, it just does it a bit faster. A little patience goes a long way here.

Kemper

Mar 15, 2012
I understand that, but I am getting random forced closes. I think the unit doesn't have enough memory to process stuff and by default asks you to force close or wait. I have found forcing close is usually faster than waiting. In the morning, I just turn in on and forget it for about five minutes.

rmleonard

Nov 18, 2011
Us Linux guys format it as Ext4, fat32 is the worst file system
It's used cause windows can't read Linux filesystems

But how do you get the Vizio to reformat the card as EXT4?
if I do a clean install, and have the tablet reformat the card, I think it does FAT32

I am pretty sure I can get my Mac to format the card as EXT4 - but short of monkeying things around -
Let's pretend that I am working with a closed environment of just the tablet - no other connection, until set up - then I'll use ES File Explorer, or Astro File explorer to connect to the NAS drive to suck down audio/video files for later consumption...

I have two options that I can think of,
boot into the sooper sekrit menu system (holding down the volume up/down buttons on startup)
or
just shove the card in and use the system menus to initialize the card.

but which file system will it use?
my tablet is UNROOTED and running which ever version of Honeycomb that Vizio sent out recently...

Enquiring minds want to know!

Rich

Conspirator

Feb 10, 2012
I have reformated my cards multiple times, trying each file system. It seems fat32 is the only one that is readable on the VTAB.

A file explore will not help you to read an ill formated card, the system has to recognize the card first before a file explorer can display its contents.

Kemper

Mar 15, 2012
I did do a defrag last night on the 32 g. It was 18% fragmented, I would have never thought to do that, thanks. It made no difference this morning when I booted up, still got the second crash.