Setup Bluetooth Keyboard for Use on Vizio VTab1008

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi all, there have been some questions and some (bad) info floating around regarding the use of bluetooth keyboards with the VTab 1008. Despite what Vizio and its reps. say, this can be done. Just follow the steps below.

1. Download and install BlueKeyboard JP from the Market (https://market.android.com/details?i...oard.ime&hl=en).
2. Turn on bluetooth Settings>Wireless & Networks>Bluetooth>Bluetooth settings and check the box.
3. Turn on your bluetooth keyboard and then click scan for devices.
4. Click the keyboard when it shows up in the list.
5. Enter 0000 or 1234 to pair the keyboard. You should now see the keyboard under Bluetooth devices as Paired but not connected.
6. Go into Settings>Language & Keyboard and check the BlueKeyboard JP box. Click ok at the dialog box warning that it will collect your keystrokes (it is a keyboard app after all).
7. Next select the BlueKeyboard JP settings and make sure the keyboard is selected under Selected keyboard or touch it and select the keyboard.
8. Under Keyboard layout select US (Qwerty) (or the applicable choice).
9. Return to the home an open an app with a text field (I used email). Once in the text field long press it.
10. At the menu select Input Method then select BlueKeyboard JP.

Enjoy using your keyboard :D

JP

sora72

Aug 22, 2011
That works, but not very well. I have the Motorola bluetooth keyboard with built-in Android shortcut keys. I found few shortcut keys that actually worked once paired and connected. After connecting, I had to manually press on the url bar to set focus within the browser app, then I was able to use the bluetooth keyboard to type text. But it wasn't able to control screen navigation on the webpage or via the vtab home screen. It's certainly better than nothing. And I do appreciate you providing the app and pairing/connecting info. I'm also concerned about the level of security with this app. It mentioned the ability to track application usage (userids, passwords, credit card info, etc), which isn't cool.

How is everyone else's experience with the app?

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Unfortunately that is more a reflection of the state of Android than anything else. Using a keyboard is not like using a keyboard on a pc and you still need to interact with the screen by touching it to move from field to field for example. There is some latency in response but overall you can type faster than on the screen in most cases (or at least more comfortably).

You have to keep in mind that Android 2.3 is actually a phone OS and was never really designed to be used on a tablet as a pc replacement OS. With Honeycomb and ICS Google is starting to progress in that direction but tablets are still pretty short of being able to replace a proper pc at this point. However the vtab should be ok at some productivity tasks and if you wanted to write a long email or work on a text document while on the tablet this keyboard option should make that a lot easier.

:)

JP

sora72

Aug 22, 2011
Good point JP.

But there are still major differences between how my "android flavored" bluetooth keyboard behaves with my Vtab via the "Bluekeyboard JP" app AND how my Droid X's native bluetooth HID support handles connectivity/interaction with the same BT keyboard. Both devices are running 2.3.

The bluetooth keyboard when connected to my Droid X allows me to navigate screens, set focus and bounce to different apps on the home screen, launch apps, etc simply by pressing TAB, using arrow keys, and pressing built-in Android menu keys. I rarely have to manually interact with the screen.

My experience last night after installing the "Bluekeyboard JP" app was very limited to only typing in text once positioned on a field that expects user input. Once on the home screen using the "Bluekeyboard JP" app, I was not able to navigate around to different apps or set focus on them using the tab or arrow keys. Pressing the TAB or arrow keys had no effect.

But I agree, using the "Bluekeyboard JP" app does allow for faster typing and it is certainly an improvement.

I really hoping that Vizio simply provides HID support at the OS level rather than us having to rely on software from a developer who could be maliciously gathering personal data.... not that most of don't already run hundreds of other apps that pose similar risk! :)

Thanks again!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Yes, first party support definitely helps particularly if you have an Android specific keyboard (not many available actually). I did forget to mention that this app is in wide use and there have been no reported problems with stolen information. By it's very nature a keyboard app requires access to the keyboard input which is why you get the warning. I believe this is a standard warning provided if you download any keyboard app. The location and internet permissions are for ad purposes.

Of course if you are particularly concerned about it you can use the keyboard only for input in fields other than user names and passwords. So for document and email bodies but not for online banking ;) Alternatively you can pay the $2 for pro which removes the ads and the associated permissions.

I hope more tablet manufactures provide for native keyboard support, particularly as tablets become more powerful and capable. If a keyboard is a primary concern you have options like the iPad or Transformer. Until then this is a good alternative for the current generation of tablets that don't otherwise have keyboard options.

bjgrig

Jan 25, 2012
Installed as per the directions above. When I choose the input method as BlueKeyboard JP, it pops up with "Connecting please don't touch keyboard" and then it simply does nothing.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Are you sure they are paired and the keyboard is showing up as paired prior to selecting the input method?

bjgrig

Jan 25, 2012
It's paired in the bluetooth screen, and it shows up in the Bluekeyboard settings screen (when you choose what keyboard to use). when I go to activate it (set it as the input method) the ads pop up at the bottom, but the keyboard just doesn't type.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
It's paired in the bluetooth screen, and it shows up in the Bluekeyboard settings screen (when you choose what keyboard to use). when I go to activate it (set it as the input method) the ads pop up at the bottom, but the keyboard just doesn't type.

Select the other input method (swift key) then (you may need to exit the app and come back in) long press again and select the keyboard.

bjgrig

Jan 25, 2012
Select the other input method (swift key) then (you may need to exit the app and come back in) long press again and select the keyboard.

This worked perfectly! Thanks for a great app and great advice... now if we could just get Root Access!!

Autorep

Jan 31, 2012
This worked perfectly! Thanks for a great app and great advice... now if we could just get Root Access!!

Unfortunately, I am having the same problem getting my vizio vtab1008 to pair with a Bluetooth keyboard (ikross foldable keyboard).

I don't understand by the information provided how the 'selection of the swift key' is done as it would integrate from the original set of instructions. Also, I don't understand steps 9 and 10 of the original instructions. In step 9, it says, "Once in the text field, long press it.". What is it you are long pressing and what is a long press? In step 10, it says, "At the menu select Input Method then select Bluekeyboard JP". Which menu are you referring to?

It would appear you techie boys are jumping steps or figuring some things are assumed or given. This isn't clear to those who aren't so software saavy.

Any assistance in clarifications would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

:)

a.beam.reach

Feb 9, 2012
Hi all, there have been some questions and some (bad) info floating around regarding the use of bluetooth keyboards with the VTab 1008. Despite what Vizio and its reps. say, this can be done. Just follow the steps below.

1. Download and install BlueKeyboard JP from the Market (https://market.android.com/details?i...oard.ime&hl=en).
2. Turn on bluetooth Settings>Wireless & Networks>Bluetooth>Bluetooth settings and check the box.
3. Turn on your bluetooth keyboard and then click scan for devices.
4. Click the keyboard when it shows up in the list.
5. Enter 0000 or 1234 to pair the keyboard. You should now see the keyboard under Bluetooth devices as Paired but not connected.
6. Go into Settings>Language & Keyboard and check the BlueKeyboard JP box. Click ok at the dialog box warning that it will collect your keystrokes (it is a keyboard app after all).
7. Next select the BlueKeyboard JP settings and make sure the keyboard is selected under Selected keyboard or touch it and select the keyboard.
8. Under Keyboard layout select US (Qwerty) (or the applicable choice).
9. Return to the home an open an app with a text field (I used email). Once in the text field long press it.
10. At the menu select Input Method then select BlueKeyboard JP.

Enjoy using your keyboard :D

JP

What keyboard are you using? I tried the Apple bluetooth wireless keyboard last night and went out and purchased the Logitech Tablet Keyboard for Android (albeit for 3.0+). Neither work. . . . they seem to require a unique / random generated (displayed on the tablet. . . as shown here) pin to be typed in the keyboard. Of course my problem is that the pin is not displayed. What keyboard(s) will work.

Thanks in advance!