Setup Bluetooth Keyboard for Use on Vizio VTab1008

TriplerSDMB

Dec 25, 2011
Howdy!

I'd been travelling a lot the past few weeks (business) and saw some of those flexible mat keyboards--anyone have/use one of those? Any luck or issues on linking them via BlueTooth?

Rob

Conspirator

Feb 10, 2012
Unless you are running rooted, you should be on Honeycomb. Go to settings, about tablet (at the bottom of list) Software version should be VIA Plus 2.0 .

If you are still running Gingerbread, BT keyboards do not work well unless you are running a third party app for compatability.

TriplerSDMB

Dec 25, 2011
Unless you are running rooted, you should be on Honeycomb. Go to settings, about tablet (at the bottom of list) Software version should be VIA Plus 2.0 .

Yup, there it is [looking at my own settings]. I ain't rooted, but my software is VIA Plus 2.0. Thanks for the help!

- Rob

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
If you are using Honeycomb, shouldnt be too much of an issue. I use a BT keyboard all the time.

I was surprized to see how well an IOGEAR Bluetooth Keyboard (GKM611G) worked and it even has a sort of working touchpad on it because everything works except the right mouse button.

As a matter of fact where my HC VTAB1008 is concerned I have not seen a Bluetooth mouse or BT touchpad with a working right mouse button.

Is there a program I have to run to get the right mouse button to work? FYI I know that button works because it works when I use it on 7 inch Galaxy Tab.

TIA

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I was surprized to see how well an IOGEAR Bluetooth Keyboard (GKM611G) worked and it even has a sort of working touchpad on it because everything works except the right mouse button.

As a matter of fact where my HC VTAB1008 is concerned I have not seen a Bluetooth mouse or BT touchpad with a working right mouse button.

Is there a program I have to run to get the right mouse button to work? FYI I know that button works because it works when I use it on 7 inch Galaxy Tab.

TIA

This is Android, not Windows. Try right clicking with your fingers on the screen. Can't do it? That is because there is no such thing as "right click" in the touch interface for Android. If something happens on your Galaxy Tab when you right click on an attached mouse it is because Samsung made a customization to map right click to some action. You shouldn't expect any result on android devices in general and more than likely it won't be the same action between devices that do have it since each manufacturer will implement it as they see fit. It would make sense if right click was the same as long press but there is no standard for it that I am aware of.

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
If something happens on your Galaxy Tab when you right click on an attached mouse it is because Samsung made a customization to map right click to some action.

Yes and no. Yes because the Right Mouse button on the Galaxy Tab is mapped as if it is the <back> button until I run PocketCloud and then the Right Mouse button does whatever the Right Mouse button does in the Windows computer I've taken control of.

But when I tried that with my HC VTAB1008 the right mouse button didn't do anything at all even when using PocketCloud.

It would make sense if right click was the same as long press but there is no standard for it that I am aware of.

In the Android devices I've messed with that work with a bluetooth mouse the left mouse button does everything your finger does meaning if you press and hold the left mouse button that will do the same as a long press so there does seem to be some consistency with that already.

I would like to ask you something about your rooted GB VTAB1008. If you do a hard reset will it go back to the way it came from the store? I don't know that much about rooting but if it keeps a GB VTAB1008 from being an HC VTAB1008 it might be worth it.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
1. Yes, it seems that if you are running a remote app like pocketcloud then the mouse should function as normal. Not sure why that doesn't work on the Vtab.

2. The left button is working correctly. As you said it should be just like touching with your finger and long pressing. It should be consistent for different devices too which it sounds like what you are experiencing.

3. I haven't tried a factory reset on my rooted tab but it should break root and reset entirely back to stock. Rooting just gives you better access to the OS and allows apps that need root access to run. One of those apps is Titanium Backup which can be used to freeze the update feature. Somebody posted that Titanium Backup might be able to freeze the updater without root and though I haven't tried this I am pretty sure TB does need root to freeze the updater. Rooting the Vtab is pretty straight forward and gives you more options like using the SD card. So if you want to stay on GB rooting is probably the best way to go.

edecas

Dec 31, 2013
The step by step is great - except I cannot achieve success on step 5 - which is pretty straightforward looking. I have my new keboard on and press connect. The Le Pan TC970 sees it. I press connect to this keyboard and have tried both 0000 and 1234. I press go and then enter 0000 or 1234 (whichever I was tring) and enter. The Le Pansays 'Pairing' - so I guess it is trying to Pair - but there is no success. It ust comes back with Pair to this device again, rather than 'Paired.

Any suggestions?
Thank you