Setup Bluetooth Keyboard for Use on Vizio VTab1008

Conspirator

Feb 10, 2012
The Logitech Tablet Keyboard should work soon, when they roll out Honeycomb in the next month or two like they say they will.

TriplerSDMB

Dec 25, 2011
Can anyone recommend me a keyboard or two to look for? Are they pretty much all similar, or would you recommend certain features that work with my VTAB1008 versus something else? Also, what kind of mouse would you recommend?

Thanks,
Rob

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Unfortunately, I am having the same problem getting my vizio vtab1008 to pair with a Bluetooth keyboard (ikross foldable keyboard).

I don't understand by the information provided how the 'selection of the swift key' is done as it would integrate from the original set of instructions. Also, I don't understand steps 9 and 10 of the original instructions. In step 9, it says, "Once in the text field, long press it.". What is it you are long pressing and what is a long press? In step 10, it says, "At the menu select Input Method then select Bluekeyboard JP". Which menu are you referring to?

It would appear you techie boys are jumping steps or figuring some things are assumed or given. This isn't clear to those who aren't so software saavy.

Any assistance in clarifications would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

:)

Hi Autorep, I'm sorry you didn't understand the instructions. In fact these are not "techie boy" instructions but very basic simple instructions.

Step 9 simply means return to the home screen by pressing the home button. If you are not familiar with the home button it is the white Vizio logo button that appears at the bottom center of the bezel below the screen. Touching this button (it is capacitive and not actually a physical button) returns you to the home screen. From here you simply launch an app that has an input text field (such as email).

Once you have an app with a text field open you touch in the text box and hold your finger there until a menu appears. Touching and holding the screen on a touch screen device is called a long press.

Step 10 refers to the menu that is pulled up by use of the long press mentioned above. It makes perfect sense if you follow the steps what the menu is if you have long pressed and watched it appear.

There is no jumping of steps or assumptions made other than perhaps the assumption that you know how to long press which isn't really an assumption since it is descriptive of the action to take.

Hope this helps,

JP

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
What keyboard are you using? I tried the Apple bluetooth wireless keyboard last night and went out and purchased the Logitech Tablet Keyboard for Android (albeit for 3.0+). Neither work. . . . they seem to require a unique / random generated (displayed on the tablet. . . as shown here) pin to be typed in the keyboard. Of course my problem is that the pin is not displayed. What keyboard(s) will work.

Thanks in advance!

I used a Motorola keyboard but really just about any BT keyboard should work. Different keyboards have different codes but as mentioned these are usually 1234 and 0000.

I believe on the Apple keyboards you have to "blind type" the code in that you type it on the keyboard but nothing happens on the screen until you hit enter. I can't recall exactly but you may also have to type the code in on the virtual keyboard first then do it on the Apple keyboard. It doesn't matter what code you use as long as you type the same code in both places. You may want to consult youtube or Google for the Apple keyboard paring process.

smcbride3

Feb 16, 2012
What keyboard are you using? I tried the Apple bluetooth wireless keyboard last night and went out and purchased the Logitech Tablet Keyboard for Android (albeit for 3.0+). Neither work. . . . they seem to require a unique / random generated (displayed on the tablet. . . as shown here) pin to be typed in the keyboard. Of course my problem is that the pin is not displayed. What keyboard(s) will work.

Thanks in advance!

I was just able to get my VIZIO vtab connected with my Logitech 3.0 keyboard. Works fine but I don't like that the app (free) seems to be add supported. Also, in the email field, it does work suggestions which pop up as flashes and that's annoying. In Documents To Go, the word suggestions didn't appear so better.

They key was don't forget to do the long hold to choose bluetooth keyboard.

Mandos

Mar 4, 2012
Thanks for posting this--we're having trouble getting my GF's keyboard to pair. The device is detected, but when she clicks "Pair with this Device" as per the instructions (Pairing the keyboard with an Android 3.0+ tablet) the pairing request asks for the PIN (which according to the instructions should be randomly generated) but nothing shows on the screen. We've tired typing in 0000 and 1234 on the keyboard + enter, on screen + ok, on both, and nothing seems to work. Any suggestions?

Mandos

Mar 4, 2012
Now I'm wondering if they are even compatible--the Logitech 3.0 is meant for Andriod 3.0, but isn't the vtab 2.3?

Ken401

Nov 19, 2011
No keyboards are currently compatible with the tablet as it does not support the HID (Human Interface Device) bluetooth protocol. I am hoping this changes when Vizio upgrades the devices to Honeycomb, 3.0.

Mandos

Mar 4, 2012
Thanks for replying Ken. If no KBs are compatible, why are all these people posting in this thread that they have keyboards in use?

Also, I talked to a Vizio rep today and she said the firmware update was being pushed out now, in increments, and should be done within 2 weeks.

Ken401

Nov 19, 2011
Sorry, I wasn't recalling all of this thread and was thinking in terms of native support. Hopefully with Honeycomb the need for an app to make bluetooth keyboards work will be history.

Thanks for the encouraging news about the update. -Ken

Last edited:

mburwen

Mar 1, 2012
Does the tablet have to be rooted? The VTAB detects my generic bluetooth keyboard, but pairing fails.

drewhice

Apr 12, 2012
I just got my Vizio Vtab1008 it has Android version 3.2.1...

I want to buy a Bluetooth keyboard. Please just tell me which one will work for sure. easiest, cheapest, fastest, best???