Solved: One Method To Save Photos From Digital Camera to Coby MID7042 Tablet

floorbored

Nov 14, 2012
I wanted to be able to 'save' my photos from my digital camera to my new Coby MID7042 Tablet - not just view them. Coby Support said there was no way to do that directly from the camera - and that you must use a computer to transfer files.

However, after fussing around with it for several hours, this is what worked for me (and Thanks Again to Traveller1701 for advice!):

(This first step was only to allow me to add some additional folders to the ES File Explorer on the tablet. Please let me know if there is a way to add new folders directly on the tablet and eliminating this step of connecting to PC.)

• Connected Coby MID7042 to my PC using supplied mini-usb to usb cable
  • Tablet asks if you want to turn on USB Storage (Click OK)
  • Autoplay window opens on PC showing the Tablet as a drive
  • Click 'Open folder to view files'
  • I added 2 new folders to the tablet list named 'Pictures' and 'Video'
  • Click back to Drives (Computer) menu and right click the drive that the tablet is on - choose 'Safely Remove' and unplug USB from PC when it says it's safe

Next step is getting the photos on to the tablet:

• Connect camera to tablet with supplied USB cable from camera plugged into USB adapter supplied with the tablet (our camera has a Sony MemoryStick Card)
  • (this method also worked using our ancient USB Compact Flash Card Reader plugged into tablet USB adapter)
  • Tablet notifies that USB is connected
  • Open ES File Explorer on the tablet and click on the 'Favorites' Star Icon at the top left of screen
  • Click on the selection that is your camera path - mine was listed as /mnt/usbhost1/
  • Click on DCIM, then click on the next folder(s) that contain your photos and then you should see the photos from your camera
  • If you hold a finger lightly on a photo icon, a menu will open where you can choose 'Move To'
  • I chose to move the photos to my newly-created 'Pictures' folder in ES File Explorer - my path was shown as /mnt/sdcard/Pictures

*Remember to 'Unmount' the USB connection under Tablet Settings before unplugging the USB cable

So, now my photos are saved on the tablet and I can view them in the Gallery application... :cool:

Please let me know if there is an easier or more direct way to do this!

I am looking for a Coby tablet-compatible (on GetJar?) photo-organizing application to sort my pictures into folders - any suggestions?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
You already know my advice regarding GetJar. I'm glad you solved your issue however.

To bypass Android restrictions regarding writing to \mnt\sdcard by the user, it's necessary to modify system files. That means you have to be rooted.

floorbored

Nov 14, 2012
Thanks - Unfortunately, in this case I have to find work arounds for non-rooted system and deal with GetJar... :p

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Amazon doesn't require root. In the thread where I mention the new tablets, I provided a link to Coby's documentation on how to install the Amazon Appstore.

Coby is certified to carry the Appstore on its tablets now, so there's little reason to hold off.