Some questions about the AUGen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Yes, the Archos is overpriced for what it is. Look at what Wits is selling the A81E and making a good profit. Capacitive screen is meaningless for me as ATM it eliminates any possibility of handwritten char recognition, so I'd rather have a decent resistive ATM. Pinching and fondling the screen doesn't really get me off or offer any benefit AFAIC. Gingerbread: it's not available and there are no min specs, but more memory is always nice, but does NOT come even close to helping justing $280 for the 70 or $300 for the 101 build cost of both is like less than $120 making for a healthy markup, of course the 5IT has dropped drastically in price since introduced... Still not heard enough "good" things about Archos other than from some fanbois, and ALOT of bad things about them from everyone else...

$200-300 undoubtedly the 3G version encumbered with 2y data plans -> likely $700+ true end cost. I still expect them to try pricing closely to the iPad if not more, but we'll have to see.

@tipstir

so abandoning ship as well?

I don't know yet?

But if I do still got this going with the latest Chinese ROM b1.9.1 rooted when it boots it reads Flytouch the android 3D logo reads Flytouch
58926_434994382948_579882948_5219676_7986642_n.jpg

They make good wifi monitors though.

Last edited:

cutterjohn

Aug 23, 2010
HOLLY CRAP!!!! that's insane!!!!!!

@tipstir
is the touch screen on the gome really that much better? I'd think that the crappy SoC would entirely negate any benefits... i.e. the only reason ATM that I'm considering keeping this turkey is the video perf, but I just don't watch that many videos which is why A81-E is calling me STRONGLY...

Last edited:

livingenzyme

Sep 3, 2010
Swould333 said:
My rule of thumb for tech purchases... buy the most you can for the amount you have budgeted... becuase in 3 moths it'll be obsolete
Wow, this is the opposite of my rule of thumb for tech purchases. Since everything will be obsolete in 3 months anyway, always always always buy the outdated model.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
We'd call it profiteering in the US... which is ILLEGAL(well if it was ever enforced)....

@tipstir
is bthe touch screen on the crappy gome really that much better? I'd think that the crappy SoC would entirely negate any benefits... i.e. the only reason ATM that I'm considering keeping this turkey is the video perf, but I just don't watch that many videos which is why A81-E is calling me STRONGLY...

It's okay for surfing the net, access my IIS, check on network gear or making changes to them reading a book or two. Can't play games or watch a movie on it but frankly that's not why I wanted to get this one first. Still kinda stuck with it. Rooted but the CPU is still 350MHz, 256MB of RAM, 2GB internal storage, 3G, camera, mic, has 10/100 port, two USB full size, does rotate on it own. I had thought the Gentouch78 would do the same but just have better CPU. Anyway we all know that story already.

livingenzyme

Sep 3, 2010
I just recieved a reply from augen about a ticket I opened 2 weeks ago. That's right, it took them 2 weeks to respond. My question was this. If I've got a device that was not rooted or does not have adb access, how would I go about removing fring? Of course I've already removed mine a long time ago, but I just wanted to see how augen would respond. Their reply was either go to settings --> apps --> uinstall or use apk manager which might work and I should try it. They also asked me to tell them if it works or not.

Really? After 2 weeks and they couldn't even bother to try it themselves? It literally takes 10 seconds to try these methods to see if they work or not. Let me give you a hint, no they do not work.

Augen support is beyond belief terrible. How is this company even making any profit?

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
61091_435186627948_579882948_5223620_3711793_n.jpg

Can tell you one thing is for sure, it now boots up quicker than with the BlackJack version 3 did. I just did a factory reset under that Rooted ROM. The darn thing wouldn't run after that. I had to stick the paper clip into the hole a few times for the next ROM to load to wipe out the v3 to get it to the point so I could ROM to one the ROMs from AuGen. I ended up with the very first one which one v1. Just going to clean it up and pack it nicely back into box it came in. Just have to blow off the dust though! LOL!

Last edited:

cpg716

Jul 23, 2010
Two things...

1. The Archos Gen8 line( Archos 70 and 101) do NOT have 512MB of RAM, they are 256MB, this has been confirmed with ARCHOS. Also, Archos has already released an update for then Gen8 line. They are all one release which will make it easy.. Just the 3 inch one is out, and thats who can do the update you can read what they updated here : http://update.archos.com/8/gen8/changes_firmware_archos_android_gen8.htm

2. GOOGLE has NOT released SPEC requirements for GINGERBREAD any LINK or POST you put is just RUMOR or SPECULATION, you will NOT find any OFFICIAL google announcement concerning this.

CPG

Last edited:

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
back it goes huh?

Yeah! It's all packed up. I had to look at my video review #2 to see how it was packed up though. LOL It looks like new!
Remember I have panel issues plus seems everyone is ditching it! Going for the Samsung or ZT81 everyone else.

I might just buy the Lenovo IdeaPad S10-3t or ASUS Eee PC T101MT? Still I really need Windows 7 tablet device though and right now I still have Android OS tablet device.

Last edited:

cutterjohn

Aug 23, 2010
The fact that Archos has already released an update is not comforting, as it harkens back to what I was reading at archosfans wrt 5IT release...

Yes, I was trying to point out that to them when CLEARLY the article linked had no Google/Android dev refs nor did the Russian(?) article linked to by the original article... My guess is that the specs won't change or MAY even decrease as they'll be able to rip out (or make optional for 3G tablets) most of the telephony stuff... these things are supposed to be relatively lightweight after all, and not a nb replacement... might be feasible w/A15 but by then x86 mobile CPUs will be way beyond the A15...

[EDIT]
I think that Dell is coming out with a convertible netbook w/touchscreen again too... I know that the older model some people turned into a hackintosh slate (OSX + slate configuration)..

I'm still eyeing the A81-E myself for now, so dependent upon what happens in the next few week, my GT will be on it's way back as well... only thing that can prevent that now would be kernel source release plus opengl es stack...

$419! And people try to tell me that I'm an idiot when I point out that $300+ is a ripoff for a tablet...

Samsung will be EXPENSIVE too since they only have 3G ATM so you'll have to add on a 2y onerous mobile data plan cost to get the subsidized overpricing, i.e. expecting about $700 total cost(just nuts). I'm kind of inclined still to believe $400-550 for their WiFi only too. Just WAY too much for a tablet IMNHO.
[/EDIT]

Last edited:

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Refurbished Apple iPad 16GB Wi-Fi for $449 + free shipping just popup today, still I would never go for Apple. Must have had some bad ones for them to start selling Refurbs again!

Cheapest Android OS table is the flytouch and if rooted still not bad unit for you paid for. The Gentouch78 was easy access to buy it at a local Kmart that could be 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 miles away.

Last edited:

R!Kt@H

Sep 18, 2010
The gentouch78 is not a bad deal...one major thing that its missing, and people seem to not notice, is Bluetooth. You can't transfer files via bluetooth and I think that's a big negative...other than that and a few other problems, I'm enjoying the device.

cpg716

Jul 23, 2010
The fact that Archos has already released an update is not comforting, as it harkens back to what I was reading at archosfans wrt 5IT release...

I think Archos learned alot from the last year. They were the first to have a lower priced Windows 7 Tablet on the Market, 6 months or so before the iPad came out.. Yes it had its problems, as did the internet tablet android line... However, I just played with a 5IT a few weeks ago at Best Buy, and it was 100x better then the Gentouch78. The resistive screen was MUCH more responsive then any I had used in the past.... Anyhow.. People complained of no updates for months on the older lines, but already releasing firmware updates, and the focus on what they updated is promising to me.....

BUT, who knows.. when the reviews come out these good be buggy pieces of garbage.. as of right now though.. $299/$349 for the 8GB/16GB versions of the 101 is very appealing to me..

CPG

cutterjohn

Aug 23, 2010
Refurbished Apple iPad 16GB Wi-Fi for $449 + free shipping just popup today, still I would never go for Apple. Must have had some bad ones for them to start selling Refurbs again!

Cheapest Android OS table is the flytouch and if rooted still not bad unit for you paid for. The Gentouch78 was easy access to buy it at a local Kmart that could be 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 miles away.

That "deal" is still too high unless they changed their refurb warranty policy which ALWAYS used to be 90d... not sure if you could add the extended coverage to it, but by that point it'd be cheaper to buy a new one...]

cpg716 said:
People complained of no updates for months on the older lines, but already releasing firmware updates, and the focus on what they updated is promising to me....
Oh don't get me wrong, I see that they do ALOT of updates for the 5 & 7IT now, it's just that it kind of sounded like on the archosfans board that archos at least semi-promised an OS upgrade, but never came through on that and probably won't now that they have their new tablets on the way... I suspect that even the bugfixes for the older ones will stop soon as well...]

5IT yeah I know. Remember obiwan drooling all over it?

IF the 8G 70 were $230 I'd really consider it, but NEVER @ $279 consider it's lack of GPS. At $230 there'd be hope of eventually getting kernel source and possibly adding drivers for USB GPS dongles...

...so I'm hanging on for a few weeks to see what happens and what the new wits model will be(be funny if it has an OMAP3640 w/GPS + accelerometer + bt for c. $200)...

Archos would be safer though as kernel source would likely eventually be released which would allow for community OS upgrades like is now being done for the 5IT... should go check on their froyo thread again...

Last edited:

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Or just wait to something comes that is good enough. I am in no rush!

Status
Not open for further replies.