stock HC launcher

KenP

Feb 1, 2012
Please excuse the naive question but is there such an animal as an original or stock HC launcher? And if so, is it possible to load it on the vtab?

I've noticed that a number of other brands see to be running the same launcher, more or less, while the vtab's HC still appears to be running the same launcher as before the upgrade, more or less.

I've tried a couple from the market to less than outstanding results. It left me thinking there must be one avail from the android dev system many others use. Does the launcher have to be customized by the vendor to have a working tablet?

Ken

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet

mui

Nov 28, 2011
I'm with you, the vtab launcher is a little weak, It seems like Vizio was tring to break the mold but came up short. I'm using the ICS_Launcher and I'm pretty happy with it.

RandyB

Dec 7, 2011
I'm with you, the vtab launcher is a little weak, It seems like Vizio was tring to break the mold but came up short. I'm using the ICS_Launcher and I'm pretty happy with it.

Are you able to set the wallpaper with the ICS Launcher?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi Ken, there is a stock Honeycomb launcher and no changes need to be made by the hardware manufacturer to use it. Vizio decided to change things on their own. Vizio customized the launchers to be like an iPad which is quite different than a normal Android home launcher.

Of the many launchers available on the Market there are some really nice ones. These may need to be updated by the developers to work with Honeycomb but you should find most are already compatible. Launcher Pro, VTL Launcher, Go Launcher, Zeam and ADW are all popular choices. There are also many others like ICS Launcher mentioned above and many themes for these launchers also. There is bound to be some launcher or launcher + theme combo that will suit you.

Maybe if you give us an idea of what you want you can get some suggestions.

JP

mui

Nov 28, 2011
ICS launcher allows you to change the wall paper and use photos for wall papers. Some ppl including me me had bad luck with VLT and ADW after the HC update.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mar 30, 2011
All replacement launchers still allow stock changes and then some. Try go or adw launcher.

10amla

Mar 13, 2012
Re Go Launcher, there are two varieties: EX & HD. EX is designed for phones but will work well on the Vizio. A wide variety of themes are available for it. HD is tablet specific(HC & ICS required) and is very new, version 1.0 came out in early March. It is curently NOT themeable and lacks the bells and whistles that EX has; and has a quirk of not being able to display wallpaper on the Vizio. But it shows a great deal of promise.