Swype on Archos 70 (and 101)

rc211e

Oct 23, 2010
I installed Swype on my Archos 70 and it almost works.

It's there it's installed and if I tap on the keys I get letters but nothing when I Swype even though it acts in the right way.

I have searched a few forums and others have reported this on 101

...however I am sure somewhere I saw a video where someone was using Swype on a 70

Anyone able to help on this I think I am close but just not quite there!

I am on 2.2

rc211e

Oct 23, 2010
it won't answer to your question, but here's an alternative.

I'm using SlideIT on my 101, it's a copy of swype. It works flawless on portrait mode. in landside mode, the software buttons of android get on the way but doesn't bother much.

Thank you will try it

rc211e

Oct 23, 2010
This guy says he is using Swype but doesn't say where it came from about 3 min 22 secs in. From the age of the video I think it may be 2.1 not 2.2

Last edited by a moderator:

luckyxero

Nov 6, 2010
I had it working on 2.1 and it was great. After the switch to 2.2, it never worked. SlideIT works on 2.2.

ArcTab10

May 2, 2011
I'm using my HTC Incredible to write this and want to make a suggestion to the Swype programmers.
Swype is great when the keyboard is 2 to 3 inches wide. I would like to see swype appear in the bottom right or left side of a tablet and just take up a small amount of space.

Last edited:
C

chiasticslide

I found a Swype apk a few months ago--though to be honest I don't remember which device it was for or what forum I snagged it from--that worked on the 70. I only used it for a few days before going back to Thumb Keyboard, for two reasons: one, the soft buttons clip the far-right side of the keyboard, which makes for a lot of hassle; and two, swyping over the whole screen was nowhere near as efficient as pseudo-touch-typing on Thumb Keyboard. Using Swype in portrait mode was tolerable but honestly most of the time I'm typing I'm in landscape mode anyway so it's a moot point.