Sylvania Synet 7LP 7" Android OS 2.1 MID 1GHZ/HDMI Tablet

st0ne

Mar 1, 2011
Trust me Cindigirl..... I am making head way... now it's a matter of who wins: Me if i get a way to recover or flash OR They win if they get an update thats not for the 7LP and is for the EX! I am working on it.
We got smart people here from what I have seen so far. I have all confidence that a solution will come from one of these brains! or one of the brains over @ XDA! :)

giveen

Jan 11, 2011
Cool, I just spoke to the team over here and they said that they will be under compliance shortly and will be releasing it soon. I think it’ll be available somewhere online, I’ll let you know when it does.

Source code coming soon.

ImagineThat

Dec 2, 2010
Source code coming soon.

about time! A few more days and I'll probably have this thing de-compiled myself. But their source is even better. Should be a good step in getting froyo, gingerbread, or ideally honeycomb ported over...but I havene't looked into the details.

pgun928

Mar 30, 2011
Im really liking mine, everything is working good. Just started using amazons Android app market. Getting about five hours of battery with the wifi on w the radio player running. Must have got a good one. Nice to have all this info about this unit though.

giveen

Jan 11, 2011
They aren’t telling me much, they said it is available online, but didn’t disclose the exact location. Also, I have no idea what an .ius file even is. I tried searching for it and didn’t find anything.
An update from my contact in DG.

He says the source code is available online, but they didn't tell him where, and he has no idea what an .ius file is, so can't tell us how to extract it.

JackDroid

Apr 25, 2011
Hello Everyone,

I am new to the form and new to Android. I have tinkered with Linux Ubuntu somewhat and happen to like the way anyone can put it on an external HDD and basically with a brand new laptop you don't even have to go into Windows at all. I couldn't resist purchasing Sylvania 7 inch tablet a week ago for $99USD and then found out it was a mess and of course compared to the glossier Blackberry and Samsung it was a grab to get a feel for the tablets. I connected my wireless mouse to it and was surprised to find it worked and then I got to thinking how about running my Ubuntu 10.10 on a 16GB external HDD. During all this frustration during the night of the purchase I discovered tipster's enthusiastic coverage of this tablet alomost like he alone had decided to adopt it and today I have joined the Android Tablets Forum. My thanks to everyone here for their efforts and struggle with this tablet.

I am still updating it for the third time it seems to find upgrades available and I am saying to myself; "WOW"! I haven't given up on it at all despite its whatever. I will soon have a full blown Linux Ubuntu 10.10 running on it soon. It is needing me to root it before I can root for it! What a nuisance? So I keep saying to it; "Yes Sylvania; you too shall have the capabilities of a full blown PC soon"! My thoughts are thus; eventually the PC is history, essentially the PC as we know it and that "eventually" is rapidly approaching. 7 inch and 10 inch tablets will be the vogue. Already my little hpMini Netbook with its 2GB and 500GB HDD is blazing fast and I don't worry about defragmenting and viruses of course not to mention registry cleaning etc. I plan to put 1GB RAM and if possible 2GB RAM and then have either/or the 16GB USB HDD or a 320GB HDD run Ubuntu 10.10 on it. I will share what I am going through with everyone.

Thanks tipstir and everyone here for sharing your experiences. I am not savvy in anything. I just tinker away. GUI helps.

So here is the information after third upgrade; and it has gone into the fourth upgrade. Still no USB Debugging enabling!

Model Number SYNET7LP
Firmware DG2.02
Kernel Version 2.6.32.9
Build Number warits@msuG#43

Let us see what it goes to now upon the fourth upgrade because it could be an endless loop!

Last edited:

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Let us see what it goes to now upon the fourth upgrade because it could be an endless loop!

Welcome to the forum. This device can be frustrating at times. The automatic update is currently an endless loop. The Automatic process does NOT work. There is a programming error that does not allow the tablet to update automatically. The update file is downloaded and extracted but fails to burn to the device.

A few of the most questioned items about this device are referenced in this post - Resources for the SYNET7LP/SYTABEX7/Disgo 6000

Better performance has been reported after the manual update if you are interested in starting here before making your modifications. How to manually update SYNET7LP/SYTABEX7 to Android 2.2 "Froyo".

We look forward to any additional functionality you can bring to this device.

Last edited:

JackDroid

Apr 25, 2011
Thanks cfrockit. But I am not savvy in much and like everyone has concluded slowly the thing grew on them! My plans are for the Sylvania and hTC EVO to both run Ubuntu 10.10. Appreciate those links.

The fourth update showed the same things so I guess I am going to get Froyo. It makes it easier then but the end goal for me is the same; Ubuntu 10.10.

giveen

Jan 11, 2011
No RMA for me because my wife bought it online back at Christmas and I don't have a receipt :(

giveen

Jan 11, 2011
Found my receipt! DG issued me a RMA.
About how long will it take to get it back? I just shipped it off today.

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
More than six months since first appearing at Sears, the tablet is still available and for only $119.99!

Sylvania 7'' MID Tablet Wireless Mobile Internet Device
$IMG_0105.JPG

While the display shows 2.2 no where does it say if the tablets have been updated to 2.2 on the box. However, some inventory might have the following card inside the box.

$SCAN0012.JPG

It's good to know they "Care", too bad the "System Update" feature "in the Settings of your tablet" doesn't "download free system updates for your device."

Last edited:

giveen

Jan 11, 2011
So I sent an email to DG expressing my disappointment in them for not releasing the source code and my contact actually emailed me back saying they are really working hard on getting Infotmic to release the code as required. He asked me not to post the emails he sent me, so I won't.