T-Mobile Pay As You Go + $1.49 Web Day Pass + Android T-Mobile My Account App = WIN

Lorrendor

Dec 23, 2010
*** THIS NO LONGER WORKS ***

I bought a T-Mobile prepaid cellphone at Best Buy (Samsung T369...which was probably overkill) and activated the SIM card that came inside. I activated with the IMEI from the T369 and set up the Pay As You Go account, and purchased a $30 top off card and added it.​

Bammo. Instant cell phone service. I changed NO SETTINGS on the APN or anything. Then after some finaegulling due to T-Mobile's initially confusing setup, I was able to purchase a web day pass for $1.49.​

Essentially, if you are currently not on a web day pass, and the SIM is inserted, all you need to do is launch your browser on the S7, with WiFi OFF (this is important as it activates the cellular modem), and you will be re-directed to an upsell website where you purchase a web day pass.​

Also, the Android T-Mobile "My Account" app works, and shows you your balance AND provides a link to "Buy A Web Pass".​

So, the Samsung phone includes $10 to get you started. Then you add your refill card. That total value is good for 90 days if you are on the Pay As You Go plan. Then as needed, you punch up a Web Day Pass and for $1.49 you get 24 hours of unlimited data!​

** NOTE ** This no longer works....please read on for my experience!

Last edited:

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
That is pretty sweet good find and thanks for sharing

Sent from my ADR6300 using Android Tablet Forum App

Lorrendor

Dec 23, 2010
That's a very nice thing to know. Do you know if you were on 2G, HSDPA, or HSPA+?

The display shows "E" which I assume means Edge, which is 2G? I did a mobile internet speed test, and was achieving speeds up to and over 500k here in my area, so not too shabby.

Snyperx

Nov 22, 2010
Does anyone know if what other service providers offer the just data service SIM cards that would work in the S7?

DCLocal

Nov 25, 2010
Thank you Lorrendor for this post and to the mods for making it a sticky.

In preparation for my S7 I have been reviewing as much information as possible and purchased a T-Mobile pre-paid SIM. I went with the $20 option to test ($10 for SIM and $10 for 30 minutes) and I'm thankful it worked without issues. This is a terrific option for those times when WiFi is not available and it is so easy to add Pay As You Go with the T-Mobile My Account app!

The phone option was one of the major features that attracted me to the S7 and this easy "no obligation" option sealed the deal. I'm must say I'm a bit puzzled there isn't more buzz around this Huawei tablet.

double

Dec 24, 2010
I use a month to month t-mobile account for $40 a month. Not sure if 5gb or unlimited? ust got 4 days ago. It is on evdo network and I have data only, so I use sipdroid for calls over evdo and skype over wi-fi. The unlocked skype .apk I dwld'd won't let me make calls over evdo (an only in america thing right now, i believe) so for the price, I spend way more time on the internet than I do talking. 95% internet/5% talking. [](/foreveralone)

Lorrendor

Dec 23, 2010
Thank you Lorrendor for this post and to the mods for making it a sticky.

In preparation for my S7 I have been reviewing as much information as possible and purchased a T-Mobile pre-paid SIM. I went with the $20 option to test ($10 for SIM and $10 for 30 minutes) and I'm thankful it worked without issues. This is a terrific option for those times when WiFi is not available and it is so easy to add Pay As You Go with the T-Mobile My Account app!

The phone option was one of the major features that attracted me to the S7 and this easy "no obligation" option sealed the deal. I'm must say I'm a bit puzzled there isn't more buzz around this Huawei tablet.

I'm very happy that it has worked out for you! I agree, this is hands-down the best option for the S7 - it gives you cellular and data as needed with the Web Day Pass! I just wish that the text on the purchase a web day pass screens were a bit bigger, but I assmue they are that way due to the fact that it is a WAP page, and must be accessible via regular phone browsers as well. What kind of speeds are you getting with the web?

Lorrendor

Dec 23, 2010
I use a month to month t-mobile account for $40 a month. Not sure if 5gb or unlimited? ust got 4 days ago. It is on evdo network and I have data only, so I use sipdroid for calls over evdo and skype over wi-fi. The unlocked skype .apk I dwld'd won't let me make calls over evdo (an only in america thing right now, i believe) so for the price, I spend way more time on the internet than I do talking. 95% internet/5% talking. [](/foreveralone)

Have you tried setting your S7 to GSM/WCDMA or Auto? EVDO is a Verizon/Sprint technology, no? If you see the "E" icon, that is for EDGE, which is the GSM equiv of EVDO. Are you using a T-Mobile SIM from a phone, or from a USB modem? I wonder if you are on a data only type package?

DCLocal

Nov 25, 2010
I'm very happy that it has worked out for you! I agree, this is hands-down the best option for the S7 - it gives you cellular and data as needed with the Web Day Pass! I just wish that the text on the purchase a web day pass screens were a bit bigger, but I assmue they are that way due to the fact that it is a WAP page, and must be accessible via regular phone browsers as well. What kind of speeds are you getting with the web?
No kidding! I tried to double-tap but no luck. The app seems to have a built in browser for the page where you order the Web Day Pass but it does not recognize double-tap and has no zoom that I could find. I almost had to reach for the stylus but managed with my finger.

Speed so far is about 500kbps but I will continue to test.

Lorrendor

Dec 23, 2010
No kidding! I tried to double-tap but no luck. The app seems to have a built in browser for the page where you order the Web Day Pass but it does not recognize double-tap and has no zoom that I could find. I almost had to reach for the stylus but managed with my finger.

Speed so far is about 500kbps but I will continue to test.

I *think* that if you tap the browser window somewhere in the lower right corner, a zoom (+ and -) will appear, allowing you to zoom in.

buzzman

Dec 8, 2010
I've had a t-mobile sim card since last christmas. I got it to run my iphone on when it was jailbroke and unlocked. I never used the minutes much but wanted the ability to call if needed. I added minutes to the account every 90 days (don't forget or you lose your minutes and they won't roll over with your refill.) Once you have added $100.00 of refills, you are posted on your account as reaching "gold status". This means on your next refill of any denomination you get a %15 bonus in minutes, but the most important thing is now your minutes last for 12 months. There is a vendor on ebay that sells t-mobile refills at a big discount. They are listed as advertisers, not sellers.( I am not connected to them in any way other than buying online thru ebay) $17 for a $25 refill or $33 for $50 refill. It is all done online thru them once you pay via paypal. I was skeptical at first, but it worked well.

After reaching gold status(posted on my tmobile account) I refilled with $25. card and there was no reflection in my account of a 12 month expiration. I went on e-chat with customer service at t-mobile and they told me their system was not properly displaying earnings and that I didn't qualify till that refill. I told them it was not my fault their system was screwy, and they should credit my account properly, and they did! So call or e-chat if your refills and expirations don't match up with their online accounting. They are good at honoring your requests.

chuck3d

Dec 7, 2010
This is a good way to go... But if you don't want to buy the phone you can just go into a T mobile store and buy a sim card for $10. get the Pay as you go plan and they activate the card on the spot with a new phone number.
The voice plan rates are:
$10 - 30 min. - Good for 90 days
$30 - 160 min. - Good for 90 days
$50 - 400 min. - Good for 90 days
$100 - 1000 min - Good for 1 year

This may not look like a great deal if you plan on using the S7 for a lot of voice calls, but if your like me and don't plan to use it at all for calls, then this is good because after you activate your Pay as you go account and put in the sim card you can then get the 24 hour web activation for $1.49. It works out well for me because I only need web access when there is no wifi and then only once in a while. It wouldn't be great if you need it every day. So basically I'm paying $30 for 90 days (+$1.49 a day as needed for web).
When I refill in 90 days, I'll just do the $10 for another 90 days, that way it's only like $3.00 a month plus $1.49 for 24 hours of web when I need it.

scottyb1967

Nov 18, 2010
Thank you. Picked up sim yesterday, worked perfectly. No need to buy the phone as one other poster mentioned. Activated with no tweaking. Thanks again, exactly what I needed.