TABLET vs. LAPTOP - What do you think???

JimBerlin

Oct 12, 2011
I am new to Tablets and haven't purchased one yet. But I am seriously looking at an Acer ICONIA A500-10S32 - Android 3.1 (Honeycomb). I presently have a MacBook that I love but also think I might not need. Can a good quality Android Tablet replace a MacBook? The primary use on my MacBook is to access the internet via WiFi, write, create docs, create PP (Keynotes), store all my files and pictures and sometimes edit small movies. What is your experience? If I get a good Tablet do I need my MacBook?:confused: I'm thinking of the Acer because of the USB connection and GPS.

Thanks for your help!

Jimmarn

Oct 12, 2011
I got a Windows convertible, with win7 and a wacom digitizer, I do indeed love it, but I will also buy a tablet with Android Honeycomb because of the portability, my 12,1 win7 tab is ofc portable. But you get what I mean, an Android or iPad has a very quick and well made OS for portability, and I'd like to have a tablet I just can pull up and start drawing, or browse the web fairly quick. But I doubt it will replace my Win7 convertible tab.

I'm really really looking into buying the Lenovo Thinkpad tablet. With N-Trig digitizer. It looks powerfull and good. I'd just wish it was Wacom....

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
I have not taken my laptop off its dock in my office in 6 months

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
I have to look at from both a corporate and personal perspective. These in my situation break down into three buckets; cost, portability and input/output.
From a cost perspective, I have to say it is a wash if you only focus on the upper tier tablets, ie no Flytouch, Coby, etc. The cost for a tablet and baseline corporate level netbook/notebook is about $600USD.
From portability perspective, a tablet has a notebook beat hands down.
From a input/output perspective, it is dependent upon the usage need.If the use is a lot of writing or data input, a notebook has a tablet beat. And that includes using a keyboard dock or removable keyboard. In reality, you have just turned the tablet into a notebook. But, if you are an individual who is a data consumer rather than creator, the tablet is more than adequate.

BUT, from a security and control perspective, until something like 3LM is integrated, the tablet is just waiting to be exploited. The potential for exploit or data compromise is much higher with a Tab.

But, that is just my opinion.

Grug

Aug 15, 2011
If you add a keyboard and mouse/trackball/touchpad to the tablet it becomes a laptop anyway.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
The primary use on my MacBook is to access the internet via WiFi, write, create docs, create PP (Keynotes), store all my files and pictures and sometimes edit small movies.

IMO for everything you listed here except possibly 1.) "access the internet via WiFi" and 2.) "store all my files and pictures" you're going to want to use your MacBook. If you need to access more than 1 Window at a time and/or have GBs of files and pictures you might also scratch 1 and/or 2.

Jun 29, 2011
IMO for everything you listed here except possibly 1.) "access the internet via WiFi" and 2.) "store all my files and pictures" you're going to want to use your MacBook. If you need to access more than 1 Window at a time and/or have GBs of files and pictures you might also scratch 1 and/or 2.

For everything the tablet won't do you can use Splashtop to access the laptop remotely. I've now added a bluetooth keyboard to my Tab so I don't have to type on-screen when using Splashtop. Splashtop makes a Honeycomb (HD) version and non Honeycomb version, which I have on my froyo phone and both can be used over 3g/4g, away from home wifi and home network wifi

Support Our Troops!!
Sent from an Incredible phone via Tapatalk

bclinger

Aug 11, 2011
There is no good quality replacement to a laptop. Supplement, no replacement.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
If you have a desktop at home, I wonder if you could use a tablet, especially something like the Transformer/keyboard combination or another tablet with a hardware keyboard solution, in place of a netbook or even a laptop. For me I believe it would work, I've left my netbook at home since my keyboard dock arrived. With a remote desktop client I don't think a situation will arise that I can't deal with.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Android Tablet Forum

Jun 29, 2011
If you have a desktop at home, I wonder if you could use a tablet, especially something like the Transformer/keyboard combination or another tablet with a hardware keyboard solution, in place of a netbook or even a laptop. For me I believe it would work, I've left my netbook at home since my keyboard dock arrived. With a remote desktop client I don't think a situation will arise that I can't deal with.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Android Tablet Forum

That is the scenario I wrote of. I haven't sat at my desktop in months ( since finding Splashtop for my ipad) other than deposit data onto the external hardrive from my devices and the once or twice a week I need it a for a computer I can access it remotely. I've got a bluetooth keyboard Zaggfolio for my Galaxy Tab 10.1 so even long typing is done from my Tab without having to use the onscreen keyboard

Support Our Troops!!!

Sent from this Galaxy via Tapatalk

prozacfield

Sep 30, 2011
I still use my laptop for gaming, photo editing, music and movies, but it stays at home since i bought this tablet. Just get one and you will see the difference. :)

Sent from my A70H using Android Tablet Forum

frivlus

Oct 28, 2010
Both. The notebook has it merits with regard to functionality and compatibility that most tablets can not easily match. If work processing, number crunching and slide decks are your thing, the tablet is not the move.

But, it you are generally using web-based activities such as email and websurfing the tablet can't be beat with regard it its portability.

Much like one of the previous writers my laptop gets a lot less use outside the office. My tablets allows me to read and answer, emails, perform web based research and take advantage of the many specialty apps available.

So it really does boil down to how you plan to use it. But for now, I suspect the best move is to hold on to the Mac for the heavy lifting and find yourself a good tablet for the activities that aren't going to require a huge amounts of resources and peripherals like a keyboard. In the end you will finnd a balance for their uses and appreciate the benefits of owning both.

GameHog9

Sep 21, 2011
As long as tablets use "apps" and are media-driven, I dont see them replacing laptops any time soon.

I have a desktop computer and a Toshiba Satellite, and I would see a tablet more as a supplement than a replacement for either. The 17-inch Satellite is a nice piece of hardware with a built in graphics card and dual core and what not, but it certainly isnt as portable as a tablet and it requires much more maintenance (mine has to be connected to a cooling pad when in use to keep the temperatures in the 50C-60C range).

A tablet is certainly desirable for its anywhere-instant-use quality, but I dont see it replacing either of my computers in the near future.