TABLET vs. LAPTOP - What do you think???

D

dvdcatalyst

I am new to Tablets and haven't purchased one yet. But I am seriously looking at an Acer ICONIA A500-10S32 - Android 3.1 (Honeycomb). I presently have a MacBook that I love but also think I might not need. Can a good quality Android Tablet replace a MacBook? The primary use on my MacBook is to access the internet via WiFi, write, create docs, create PP (Keynotes), store all my files and pictures and sometimes edit small movies. What is your experience? If I get a good Tablet do I need my MacBook?:confused: I'm thinking of the Acer because of the USB connection and GPS.

Thanks for your help!

Tablets are cool and all, but for word-processing and powerpoint, you end up fighting more than that you get the convenience.

Documents on a touch-screen keyboard. It works, but for typing, or even things like copy & paste, its a bit of a hassle. Let alone the spell/gramar check that is, well, either missing or "different"
PowerPoint/Keynote, not so much. compatibility issues with video formats if you use that, compatibility issues with ppt formats. Unless you go for an iPad, and use the Keynotes iPad app.
Video edit stuff on tablet, most Honeycomb tablets have a video edit app build-in, but its picky/tricky to say the least.

Based on your description, and the fact that you are already using a MacBook with Apple Works, I would suggest to look into an iPad/iPad2, rather than an Android tablet. The Apple software you use works of course best with other Apple stuff.With Android, there are ways to make it work, but it will be a little more complicated.

elsuirad

Jul 28, 2011
It's depend on how you use it.

For me, if I want to play games and use Photoshop and watch movies, I'll go for my Laptop.

If only for chaecking emails, lil' bit of surfin especially going to malls (most of malls have WiFi nowadays) and lobbying through some forums (especially here, lol) - I'll go for my tablet because it's very handy, portable and easy to use rather than bringing your laptop heavier than Tablet.

Well, I can do also surfing the net, checking emails on Laptop, but still I liked them both.

One more thing, If you're outside strolling around or do the Malling thing... you can use the camera for capturing events and scense and you cannot tell, maybe you can get some nice shot (Images and Videos) and send it over on You Tube or Paranomio for Google Earth.

Hey, I'm not an Advert guy.

That's all.

TheCentauress

Aug 22, 2011
The question was, "Can a good quality Android Tablet replace a MacBook?" Won't he still need the laptop with Splashtop?

Yeah, he'd still need the laptop... but not on his lap. He could leave it at home, locked onto his data connection and access it anywhere in the world.

Jun 29, 2011
Tablets are cool and all, but for word-processing and powerpoint, you end up fighting more than that you get the convenience.

Documents on a touch-screen keyboard. It works, but for typing, or even things like copy & paste, its a bit of a hassle. Let alone the spell/gramar check that is, well, either missing or "different"
PowerPoint/Keynote, not so much. compatibility issues with video formats if you use that, compatibility issues with ppt formats.

I do all that stuff with the Splashtop app and the Zaggfolio case for its bluetooth keyboard when I need to do any heavy lifting. For streaming, again I let the desktop do the work and view from the Tab.

Support Our Troops!!!

Sent from this Galaxy via Tapatalk

ultra63

Aug 19, 2011
Tablet is limited compared to a laptop. I need a laptop on trips as my smartphone does most things my tablet can do

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum