Taking the S7 apart

majael

Nov 5, 2010
read very carefully, on the belarusforum, only the connector fits, output for usb, hdmi etc pins is unkown

lemmyslender

Jan 10, 2011
Yes, but the pinout will be known at some point. First thing I thought is where can I get a connector.

I'd love to make a docking station or three. (Bedside, Car, Office) Charging would be nice, usb would be nice, probably audio as well. Video out wouldn't be needed.

spb37

Aug 1, 2010
Besides potential for upgrade I hope anyone skilled and brave (not me) enough to take apart the S7 comments on the quality of construction. I was reassured when the an engineer took apart his zt-180 ten inch tablet and said the inside was well constructed. Conversely, I have read that the Notion ink Adam, despite being glorious on the outside is a mess internally.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
The pictures linked above from Huawei Belarus are no longer live...

Well there were some pictures from goodane's link: S7 . . . -

lJu2Jl.jpg

TgZD6l.jpg

F7Bshl.jpg

lj0qrl.jpg

ZDuOal.jpg

XTVvAl.jpg

majael

Nov 5, 2010
and the conector
$sdc18514.jpg$sdc18516.jpg$sdc18515.jpg

found some info on some hardware chips, you can compelete the rest

SiI9022A - HDMI® Transmitter - Silicon Image - SiI9022A & 9022A HDMI Transmitter

AVAGO ACPM-7371, UMTS 4x4 Power Amplifier (880-915MHz) - Data Sheet - ACPM-7371, UMTS 4x4 Power Amplifier (880-91 5MHz) (850 KB)
AVAGO ACPM-7381 UMTS2100 4x4 Power Amplifier
rfmd RF3161 - Quad-Band GSM850/GSM900/DCS/PCS Power Amp Module - http://www.rfmd.com/CS/Documents/3161DS.pdf
PM7540 Qualcomm power management IC
RTR6285 Qualcomm - transiver and with gps functionality
TPS65023 Texas Instruments 6-channel Power Management IC - Power Management Multi-Channel IC (PMIC) Solutions - PMIC Solutions with and without Battery Charger - TPS65023 - TI.com

not found the wi-fi chip - i presume is the one on the top on one of first pictures but i can not identify it
not found bluetooth - presume is embeded in one of qualcomm chips
not fount accelrometer - same, and/or magnetic compass

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
I thought we might have the BCM4329: Broadcom.com - BCM4329 - Low-Power 802.11n with Bluetooth® 2.1 + EDR and FM (Tx and Rx)

If true, wifi n, FM radio, and bluetooth should be on the same chip

Do not know how to confirm though. But we have dhd.ko, and our wifi firmware is rtecdc.bin... I think it reports itself as a broadcom dongle host driver... Do not recall for sure.

Sensor dump reports an AKM8973 sensor for the orientation, temperature, magnetic field sensor.

Balcora

Feb 6, 2011
I just realised what the second connector on the Wireless card is (BCM4329), Its the 5Ghz antenna side, this is probably why its left unconnected.
Cost Cutting for manufacture prob made them think; well who is going to use it anyway ? :p..
Although i do have 5GHz at home; so might be useful if i can rip out an old Laptop flat panel antenna (5GHz tuned ;)) and hotglue mount it internally if enough room is present :p.

Also; does anyone happen to know where that connector is from? as that would make my pin out a hell of alot faster :p.

Claian

Dec 27, 2010
Good work so far on the hardware front. Would love to get a custom dock if they aren't going to release an official one.

More interestingly to me at the moment though is the info that the BCM4329 has an FM receiver and transmitter built in.
Does anyone know of any apps that can make use of these features? The only android FM app I can find is for the galaxy s which uses a different chip.

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

elf310

Jan 10, 2011
BCM4329 is also used in the Nexus One, CM6 and CM7 have the fm radio apps, might have to pull it off there and see if it will work with the S7

frantech1

Nov 20, 2010
The connector for my Axim x51v clicks right into the docking port. I don't have a pinout for the Axim connector but this might be a starting point for someone who knows more about this than I do.