TF101 refuses to update... Need help before I destroy it lol

Yellowbrah

Mar 7, 2012
Current Build: US_epad-8.6.5.21-20111216
Background: OTA update failed a week ago (yellow exclamation)/Left it alone until today
- Never rooted

I tried to manually update it to ICS by putting the zip file on a microsd, but I got the yellow exclamation. I then tried to flash another version of 8.6.5.21(off of the asus website), thinking that maybe my current build is messed up... same thing. Just to clarify, I am taking it out of the original zip first.

It just won't update to anything.

The factory reset/data wipe doesn't affect this. Same thing. And to top things off, it won't even acknowledge that there's an update available when I try to OVA it (I cleared DMclient)

Anyone have any ideas before I just smash it? Lol... please.. for the love of god

Last edited:

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Welcome to the forum!

Before you smash it, drop it in a box and send it to me.

:-D

What is your firmware region? In the firmware there are 2 capital letters such as US, DE, WW, JP, CN, etc.

The TB version has not been released yet AFAIK.

Ok, when you downloaded the file manually, did you unzip it? Typically it is a zip within a zip. It should be just zipped once.

Reboot and see if that works.

When you clear the DMClient, also try clearing data on the CMClient and then reboot.

Finally, if you really REALLY want it, there is a method that involves rooting your device to manually flash the update. In the end, you will have a completely stock unrooted tablet.

If you are interested in this method, I will dig up the link.

Yellowbrah

Mar 7, 2012
Hey Frederuco, thanks for the help!

I have the US firmware. And yeah, I unzipped the first file. I tried all three versions available from the asus website and each time it wouldn't go through. I mean, am I the only one with this issue lol. And yeah, I stopped/cleared the DM and CM Clients several times.

Think you could hook me up with that link? I would appreciate it

Yellowbrah

Mar 7, 2012
Thanks, man! Saw your link today and went to town. Took about 15 minutes and now I have ICS. Thanks again! Still have no idea what the hell happened though lol

afantom

Mar 12, 2012
I had this same problem when I bought my TF101 2 weeks ago. Go to the following link and download the ICS update manually (I downloaded the Version V9.2.1.11(US) file):
ASUS - Eee- ASUS Eee Pad Transformer TF101

Be sure that you have a microSD card, I bought one for real cheap at Best Buy and use the File Manager that is included on the tablet and copy-and-paste the file to the root folder of the card.

I then hit extract or unzip the file. Your tablet will inform you that there is a system update, click update and the tablet will then install ICS on your device. The update took about 8-10 minutes to finish the install. Make sure that you use the Android Marketplace (aka Google Play now) and update your apps. Good luck!

jad11

Aug 13, 2011
I think there is another new update today.. so, better download again for manual update.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
jad11 said:
I think there is another new update today.. so, better download again for manual update.

An update to address stability issues, although I have to say I haven't really had much in the way of problems other than some odd behaviour with the dual batteries where it seemed to occasionally use the tablet battery when sleeping, then of course charge it when I wake it up. A couple times in the mornings, after the tablet was docked and in sleep mode overnight without being charged I found it had shut down sometime during the night. Hasn't happened since the first few days after the original ICS update.

Yellowbrah

Mar 7, 2012
More anger! I downloaded the OTA update today... and when it went to install, I got the brand new ICS failure screen. Does anyone know why I cannot update my transformer without rooting it first? It's getting ridiculous.

Btw, I did remove the root right after I initially updated.