The Cruz Tablet is a Disappointment

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
216vr.jpg

The Cruz Tablet, rumored to be one of the better alternatives of Android tablets, has turned out to be somewhat of a dud. Instead of a powerful and widely adapted Cortex A8 ARM CPU as rumored previously, it actually ships with a MIPS architecture Ingenic JZ4760.

This robs the device of any performance features such as Adobe Flash until Adobe actually creates something targeted for MIPS. Given the lack of MIPS based Android devices on the market right now, this is not going to happen any time soon.

Despite the nice screen it does ship with, with a price tag of $299, this has 'rip-off' written all over it when much more viable implementations of Android on a more compatible ARM based platform are available such as the Archos 70 and the Huawei S7.

Source
mytabletlife

Huawei7

Nov 12, 2010
That was me too :( Looked at the Reader but knew the Tablet was coming out. When it did, didn't like the way it worked and responded. Looked at reviews and not too many folks have any thing good to say about it. Sooo I picked up a Huawei S7 and so far (newbee to Android) it seems purity cool! Good thing for me (being new) is it supports the 'real' Android Market so I don't have the do the 'cross-load' thing I see others talk about. S7 has a 5volt power adapter so (other then current load) don't understand why they didn't use the USB for charging???

jlaubin

Oct 24, 2010
my tablet arrived today.. Is there a protective covering on the screen..or is it just poor response...Movies are great
the cruz reader comes with a weather/time widget...pay more $ for the tablet and only get a clock..

TabletConnect

Aug 4, 2010
We are testing the Cruz Tablet at this time and will be providing a full review hopefully in the next week or so. TabletConnect is also disappointed. Not only is the processor a disappointment but we find the capacitive screen responds more like a resistive screen. We have also had difficulties installing apps that had no problems installing on our $200 ePad/Zenithink ZT-180. Just curious if anyone else is experiencing the same issues we are.

tyy10002

Nov 13, 2010
FYI

Sears has a black friday sale for the Cruz Tablet $249. Based on the feedback from the forum.. I don't think that I would get one.. but $249 for a color ereader.. like the Nook color..

jlaubin

Oct 24, 2010
Ripoff should be used when you buy a chinese tablet and it doesn't work, probably never did and there are no returns.....
The cruz tablet does just what it is advertised too.. ive been getting 6 hour battery life either watching movies or reading..the battery is used removable ..you dont have to take a knife to the screen seal. Yes there is no google market, but thats google's doing
Wifi works fine for me, every timenot so on my irobot..
There is real tech assistance in the USA.. live on the phone..You can return it and there even maybe real updates..

Sorry it was not made to have its programing changed..That makes it more of a technical challenge to alter...prove them wrong..

You do get used to the keyboard.. I do miss live wallpapers though..(and the real market)

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
You are comparing the $300 Cruz Tablet to the $100 RK2808 generic iRobot...

At this price range, there are much better options, as I pointed out.

It would be foolish to pay more than $150 for this given the platform. MIPS and Android?

If they actually know anything about GPL compliance, I'd give them more of a chance.

Mozzer

Oct 30, 2010
I was so close to getting one of these when they came out a week ago but I am glad I didn't get one. I have been reading and hearing that Flash won't work on it and it had other hardware and software issues that don't even make it worth having. I wish it wasn't that way it would have been a great little ereader/internet/movie tablet for me...(sigh)!

kaven

Oct 8, 2010
I'm a big fan of Google's Android OS, and recently i heard that many people were seeking for the apad android 2.2 M8003. So now i'd like to share something with those apad hunters.
I usually importer electronics products from one wholesale china electronics online store called: ecargoonline.com. Earlier this year,the owner of the site told me that apad will be the hottest product all around the world,and he try to convince me to import some 7inch apad with android 1.6 OS, but i didn't, because i knew that the android 1.6 can not satisfy for many users, and i told he him if there comming out the better Operating System, i would purchase my order! Last month, he emailed me and said that a new apad run for Android 2.2 OS with 8inch screen were hot saling in the market, and the 10inch apad android 2.2 will also comming out soon.
Personally, i would prefer the 10" Tablet PC,but finally i import the apad android M8003 for 20 pieces,and 10 pieces for 10.2",because when i check the pics, i found the M8003 it's just like the original ipad(maybe lots of my customers will prefer this 8 inch apad android 2.2 more over,it's cheaper than the 10.2". and the Google Android 2.2 OS is faster than 2.1 and have more features.
Here is one product link for your reference: Android 2.2 OS 512 RAM with Freescale iMX515 Cortex A8 Processor Tablet PC M8003

jlaubin

Oct 24, 2010
Ive had my tablet for about 10 days now and ive decided to keep it.. The only apps that i could not install were nook (no loss i have BN/alkido and kindle) and several tries to install Angry Birds..VM just posted a software update (11/19).. Im getting use to the screen..Battery life is excellet 6 hrs with movies and 8 reading.unit does not get warn when in use as some do..Video playback is excellent..Ive found that i can buy ipod formatted movies cheaply.. and they take up little space.. I bought a chinese tablet cover with a built in stand.. great for movie watching on the plane..The unit plays easy games like packman and solitaire..From cnet downloads i got slideme market..Its very good....I like theway that the sd card is flush when inserted..on some other tablets it sticks out..and the card could "walk"..Wifi was easy to setup and turns on each time..
Pro: replaceable battery, long battery life excellent video 3 e reading formats now has gmail/yahoo and facebook..USA support.good build quality
Con's\: changing pages on apps is a pain. Cruz market is poor. needs an on indicator when you first start it it takes several seconds fro "CRUZ" to appear
I tried the reader and returned it and also have a 7001 that will be a christmas gift. this fits what i need the best.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
The battery life is good, it seems. Build quality too. I still highly recommend against getting this, because it does not give a proper Android experience.

Video playback working with iPhone format videos means there's mp4 support. That's okay.

It's easy to recommend this over the crappier Shanzhai products that have come out. But at $250, this is more than a stretch. I don't care if the Archos 70 isn't shipping yet. The fact that you are supposed to get a Cortex A8 tablet with a capacitive at this price range stands. Instead, you get a tablet with the wrong CPU architecture altogether. You might as well slap a capacitive touch screen on a VIA WM8505.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
These are like the Pandigital Novel turned into tablet hybrid. You can get those cheaper than this one.

$119 @ Kohl's when they do those wacky 50% off with 35% coupon deal plus $15 rebate on top. You get 5 years to return it back to the store or what I am told unlimited return policy just have to have the box and receipt.

44929_443452227948_579882948_5388064_237934_n.jpg

For Samsung 800MHz, 256MB RAM / 512MB ROM / 32GB IS / 32G ES @ 800x600 4:3, 802.11b,g,n (N300) etc..

You think that the Archos 70 or 101 not good. Still the prior version didn't seem like okay. I wish they would sell in the USA the 10" c-Touch but it seems only in the UK.

Last edited:

jlaubin

Oct 24, 2010
the pan digital or cruz reader play video formats very poorly..the cruz tablet plays most video formatslike a pro... ive tried mp4, divx 720 and they played fine..neither have 3d graphics which neans no Angry Birds

ufxss

Nov 16, 2010
For me the Cruz Tablet is a keeper...Of course there will be new models coming soon, but this will always be the case.

I was looking for a Reader and be able to watch videos while I travel. Also checking basis stuff as Facebook, Twitter, weather, and newspapers and web pages. I was not expecting a full Laptop replacement.

Of course I can wait, and most probably I will end up buying something else in a few months. But I for the price I believe is a good alternative.