The new Android market sucks! (Problems with Appbrain and Fast Web Installer)

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Fully recovered thanks to CWR and the old android market is back, appbrain works like it should.

Lesson learned...if you update, make sure that all the apps you use work with the update.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Fully recovered thanks to CWR and the old android market is back, appbrain works like it should.

Lesson learned...if you update, make sure that all the apps you use work with the update.
icon_%20banana.gif
yahoo.gif
icon_%20lala.gif
hail.gif
woot.gif
icon_%20banana.gif
icon_%20lala.gif
yahoo.gif
icon_%20lala.gif
rockon.gif
clap.gif
beer2.gif
yahoo.gif
icon_%20rocker.gif
woot.gif

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
I think I'll stick with 1.0.1 too. There are some custom Roms around the corner anyways

Sent from my Droid

rogand

Jan 26, 2011
Interesting experience guys. Sounds like I'll be holding off on 1.1.0 too. I had (perhaps mistakenly) thought that once I got to an autorooted 1.1, that would hold off any OTA BN 1.1.0s. If I stay at my current auto-rooted 1.0.1 (and after I figure out how to get a file manager over there w/o using WiFi and getting 1.1.0 OTAmbushed, how will I ensure OTAs stay away?

thanks
roger

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Interesting experience guys. Sounds like I'll be holding off on 1.1.0 too. I had (perhaps mistakenly) thought that once I got to an autorooted 1.1, that would hold off any OTA BN 1.1.0s. If I stay at my current auto-rooted 1.0.1 (and after I figure out how to get a file manager over there w/o using WiFi and getting 1.1.0 OTAmbushed, how will I ensure OTAs stay away?

thanks
roger

If you install clockwork recovery it should block the OTA update. Also if you have made a backup through clockwork recovery, you can always rollback, re-root, install clockwork and restore backup.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
If you install clockwork recovery it should block the OTA update. Also if you have made a backup through clockwork recovery, you can always rollback, re-root, install clockwork and restore backup.

If you have made a Clockwork backup, you don't need to rollback to the beginning, just boot into CWR and restore your previous backup...worked just perfect for me last night.

rogand

Jan 26, 2011
Thanks guys. OK. I'm going to surf around a bit more and figure out how to get the ADV connection so I can get a file manager on there and actually install the clockwork and rom mngr that are just sitting there on the SD card now..

Any particular file manager I should be looking for - I'm not partial - just want to be able to do the install. Thanks.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Thanks guys. OK. I'm going to surf around a bit more and figure out how to get the ADV connection so I can get a file manager on there and actually install the clockwork and rom mngr that are just sitting there on the SD card now..

Any particular file manager I should be looking for - I'm not partial - just want to be able to do the install. Thanks.

I use Astro File Manager from the market, but there are plenty of other good ones

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011

I have astro and I am checking out Super Manager (it seems to do some things that Astro doesn't, or isn't easily found in Astro) they are roughly the same size, so no advantage for downloading one or the other, but both will do what you need it to.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Roger, I'd recommend starting with Astro, if only because it's well-used and very intuitive. Trust me, in a few days you'll have 6 file managers installed, for different moods, occasions, etc. I think I have 4 at the moment.

Just to give you options to think about (this requires ADB), but have you seen: [ROOKIE][DEV][HOWTO] Permenant BN-OTA Update Block - xda-developers Basically it's a modification of your devicemanager db file that sets OTA to manual only.

If I get a chance today, I'll try to lay out the 2 or 3 most tricky parts of getting ADB to work. Number one is installing the correct device driver so that ADB recognizes the Nook when it's plugged in...

-Matt

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
I saw this on Droid-Life Rumor: Google Preparing to Launch Browser-based Android Market Tomorrow - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog. This may solve the issues with the new market, browser to phone-wise. This is probably why they blocked AppBrain

Great find Steve! I am sure this is why they blocked appbrain...and if this is truly the case, as soon as the online store goes live, I will update to 1.1 as I can use the taptalk app to properly view our forums here.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Yea, new browser based market looks cool. I am definitely gonna check it out when it is launched. The people over at AppBrain are probably pissed though.