The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

Sc00by

Mar 26, 2011
Looking for some general advice and feedback from what others out there have to help me pick an Android Tablet. What I am looking for is a Tablet for my 13year old son.

Usage
He wants it to do some web surfing, play games (flash maybe G sensor) and watch some films on it.

Specs
7” or 8” screen
Flash support so I guess Android 2.2 upwards
Not too expensive so not the top of range ones. Around £150 (maybe a bit more for the right one)
Does not need 3G support as wifi is all it needs.

Prefered
512 RAM
4Gb storage (upgradable with micro SD etc)
USB

Nice to have but not essential
HDMI
GPS
Upgradbale firmware

Just a decent mid range tablet that can take a knock or two as he is a bit clumsy. Done lots of searching and not really found the ideal one as there a lot that fit in, but you never know how they really are unless you have tried them.

The aPad C8 7" Capacitive Multi Touch screen Android 2.2 Tablet PC 1.3 MP Camera looks OK.

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Thx

Last edited:

alcassetta

Dec 27, 2010
Fanatastic prices don't mean a thing in China, if the tablets only last 3 hours, My son and I sent back 2 IS00 1413 A8 Cortex Freescale 8" Android 2.2 defective tablets 2months ago to *************** , they got them back in mid February and have sent us over 18 e mails saying they are going to put it on their agenda. What a crock! They stall their customers for 45 days (Paypal Period for refunds)then Customers never get a refund or new replacement, Their reputation on all Android Forums is the worst of all the Shenzhen China Bandits, Do not patronize ***************
This is my opinion! . Check out the Vendor Discussion Section out on this forum before you loose $ 350.00 like me and my son did, USA BUYERS BEWARE!

Last edited:

Kikari

Mar 26, 2011
Hi all, i'm new here.

1) i want a tablet mainly for school (i'm 18, i'll be in university in 2 years). I need internet, reading books, a good handwriting system and drawing; sharing files wth any computers, working with all MSoffice files and reading acrobat too. Ah i'd rather have also a real keyboard, not only touchscreen..
2) possibly not more than 500€
3) about 10'
4) I never used android, just windowsXP and i'm a bit ashamed of this ^^" but i get well with computers.
5) i live in italy but i've got no problems in using english.

I found interesting the Asus eee pads Slider and Transformer, but i fear they they can easily get "hurt".
I could accept to buy a external keyboard or use only the touchscreen if it's a comfortable and cheaper solution.

Thank you =)

archat68

Feb 6, 2011
Hi all, i'm new here.

1) i want a tablet mainly for school (i'm 18, i'll be in university in 2 years). I need internet, reading books, a good handwriting system and drawing; sharing files wth any computers, working with all MSoffice files and reading acrobat too. Ah i'd rather have also a real keyboard, not only touchscreen..
2) possibly not more than 500€
3) about 10'
4) I never used android, just windowsXP and i'm a bit ashamed of this ^^" but i get well with computers.
5) i live in italy but i've got no problems in using english.

I found interesting the Asus eee pads Slider and Transformer, but i fear they they can easily get "hurt".
I could accept to buy a external keyboard or use only the touchscreen if it's a comfortable and cheaper solution.

Thank you =)

All of your requirements points out to a Netbook not a tablet.

Last edited:

jessrw

Feb 5, 2011
I did have a pre order with Amazon for the 8" Coby. Well as most know Coby said they would release sometime in May/June even tho Amazon says their next est. delivery date is April 25. I am tired of waitting. I was looking at Enspert Identity Tablet E201U. Is this a good tablet? I just do not know anymore. This will be my first tablet and I am going to be using for reading books, movies, facebook games, email and just general surfing. Must have wifi. I do not want monthly internet plan. I really liked the price of the Coby for all that it did. Thanks
Jessica

hoyer801

Mar 26, 2011
I'm a middle school technology teacher who's been given about $200 to spend on anything that would help me in the classroom. I figured a budget Android tablet would be the way to go.

1) I want to get the most that I can, but in this price range, that's probably not going to be a whole lot.

• I'd prefer a forward facing camera, but can definitely do without it.
  • Need wifi, don't need 3G.
  • Want to be able to use Android marketplace
  • Being able to root the device and being more or less hackable is a definite must
  • Prefer the best processor/memory for the price (again, realize price point severely limits that)
2) Budget: $250 max
3) Preferred size: 7 - 10"
4) I know very little about Android, but I'm an experienced Linux geek who prefers the command line over a gui.

Overall, my expectations are very realistic for this price point, but I still want something that's useable and useful. What I'm hoping I can do is use the Android App Inventor program to have students design some simple apps and then use this to demonstrate/display the apps they've written.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
@Newbie3001 Motorola Xoom.

@paintgod Below $200, the best tablet that is locally available is the Coby Kyros MID7015. For the most part, you are better off with a netbook.

@aprillh Just pick up a wifi Motorola Xoom at Staples or where they are carried.

@isoDUB We pretty much try to have have every Android tablet on the market covered here at Androidtablets.net. There are not that many tablets we do not know about. As for news sites, I check AndroidCentral, Phandroid, Reddit, Shanzhaiben, and Engadget.

@N8OAY The eLocity A7's drawbacks compared to the Nook Color include a much smaller community of users, lower screen resolution, lower range of viewing angles, only wifi g, a higher pricepoint, and single-touchpoint touchscreen.

@generic3 Choosing any of those two models you found is a bad choice. Although you didn't quite answer the questions as instructed in the first post in this thread, I have an idea of what type of tablet you are looking for. Let me apologize for not quite answering your question properly. I didn't read over your original question in enough detail. I do not think any tablets can output video via USB right now, but there are tablets with HDMI output, but they do not tend to output high resolution images, and wont look very good on a large TV. Android tablets tend to be unupgradable in general. If you consider yourself computer savvy, you should try taking on the challenge of getting a Nook Color and using it as an Android tablets. If HDMI output is that crucial to you, the minimum I recommend is the Coby Kyros MID7015.

@Sc00by I don't have anything for you. The cheapest tablet I recommend with Flash support is the Archos 70 IT, at £229 or so. It wont be very upgradable. Do yourself a favor and skip the cheap illegal imports, especially if you want it to be a gift for your son.

@Kikari You need to get a real Windows convertible laptop for real support for handwriting and a full keyboard. They will cost more quite a bit more money, but you will actually be able to do real schoolwork on it.

@jessrw I do not know if the Enspert is a good tablet, but news on that device is quite scarce, making it difficult for me to recommend. If you do not have anyone to help you with setting up the device, given your price requirement of $200 the device I recommend is going to be the Archos 70 IT at $300. Otherwise, your alternatives are the Coby Kyros MID7015 and Nook Color respectively.

@hoyer801 Nook Color without question. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

isoDUB

Mar 24, 2011
@Newbie3001 Motorola Xoom.

@paintgod Below $200, the best tablet that is locally available is the Coby Kyros MID7015. For the most part, you are better off with a netbook.

@aprillh Just pick up a wifi Motorola Xoom at Staples or where they are carried.

@isoDUB We pretty much try to have have every Android tablet on the market covered here at Androidtablets.net. There are not that many tablets we do not know about. As for news sites, I check AndroidCentral, Phandroid, Reddit, Shanzhaiben, and Engadget.

@N8OAY The eLocity A7's drawbacks compared to the Nook Color include a much smaller community of users, lower screen resolution, lower range of viewing angles, only wifi g, a higher pricepoint, and single-touchpoint touchscreen.

@generic3 Choosing any of those two models you found is a bad choice. Although you didn't quite answer the questions as instructed in the first post in this thread, I have an idea of what type of tablet you are looking for. Let me apologize for not quite answering your question properly. I didn't read over your original question in enough detail. I do not think any tablets can output video via USB right now, but there are tablets with HDMI output, but they do not tend to output high resolution images, and wont look very good on a large TV. Android tablets tend to be unupgradable in general. If you consider yourself computer savvy, you should try taking on the challenge of getting a Nook Color and using it as an Android tablets. If HDMI output is that crucial to you, the minimum I recommend is the Coby Kyros MID7015.

@Sc00by I don't have anything for you. The cheapest tablet I recommend with Flash support is the Archos 70 IT, at £229 or so. It wont be very upgradable. Do yourself a favor and skip the cheap illegal imports, especially if you want it to be a gift for your son.

@Kikari You need to get a real Windows convertible laptop for real support for handwriting and a full keyboard. They will cost more quite a bit more money, but you will actually be able to do real schoolwork on it.

@jessrw I do not know if the Enspert is a good tablet, but news on that device is quite scarce, making it difficult for me to recommend. If you do not have anyone to help you with setting up the device, given your price requirement of $200 the device I recommend is going to be the Archos 70 IT at $300. Otherwise, your alternatives are the Coby Kyros MID7015 and Nook Color respectively.

@hoyer801 Nook Color without question. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

cool thanks for the sites. hopefully some nice tablets will start dropping in price.

avid

Jan 19, 2011
Hi there,

I was initially interested in a flytouch 3 but found out that it has problems with running flash, so needed some advice on what to get. My main objective is that it should be able to play flash videos (preferably in a browser, but if that's not possible, then at least in some kind of player - this is an absolute must as I need this to watch online course videos) and run websites that use flash. So here's what I'm looking for:

-Ability to run flash videos in a player or watch them in a browser and run flash websites
-Screen around 10"
-Good WIFI
-512MB RAM
-STABILITY
-Access to Marketplace
-GPS (if I can get something really cheap with just the above features then I'd be willing to forego this, but I'd like to have a gps)

It would be nice to have a capacitive screen but I know this might be hard to get in my budget.

I don't care about the brand, just anything stable, max up to $300 but willing to go a little over for something worth it.

Thanks!

maildrop

Mar 21, 2011
i had my fly touch 3. after following xaucious' tips to update the tablet with 2 firmware upgrades, adobe flash player 10.1 works beautifully. i can install all flash base app now. share my experience with joy!!!!!!

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

Kikari

Mar 26, 2011
All of your requirements points out to a Netbook not a tablet.

but!... i want to draw and write on it also by hand... :(
(do you mean there is something like a external capacitive-touch panel you can buy and connect as a keyboard to a "pure" tablet?)

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
@avid I do not have anything to easily recommend you with your list of requirements.

@Kikari What you need is a convertible Windows 7 tablet. This is what I have right now: Notebookcheck IT: Lenovo ThinkPad X200t

The most basic requirement to look at when you have a handwriting requirement for any tablet computer is an active digitizer. Everything else that doesn't have it is not going to be useful to you.

To get your price point, you will need to buy used. I got my X200T for $700CAD used. I think that was a steal actually.

maildrop

Mar 21, 2011
Hi there,

I was initially interested in a flytouch 3 but found out that it has problems with running flash, so needed some advice on what to get. My main objective is that it should be able to play flash videos (preferably in a browser, but if that's not possible, then at least in some kind of player - this is an absolute must as I need this to watch online course videos) and run websites that use flash. So here's what I'm looking for:

-Ability to run flash videos in a player or watch them in a browser and run flash websites
-Screen around 10"
-Good WIFI
-512MB RAM
-STABILITY
-Access to Marketplace
-GPS (if I can get something really cheap with just the above features then I'd be willing to forego this, but I'd like to have a gps)

It would be nice to have a capacitive screen but I know this might be hard to get in my budget.

I don't care about the brand, just anything stable, max up to $300 but willing to go a little over for something worth it.

Thanks!

fly touch 3 from **********. 169 + shipping 19 = less than your goal
i got it in 5 business day from China. it came faster than my purchase of an IPAD2. I ordered on line. I will not receive till April. :-<

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

sharkerbaby

Jan 2, 2011
Thanks for providing a central location to get information on the various tablets that will suit specific needs and for being so active in responding to everyone's inquiries. I have read through most of this hoping to determine my best option w/o the need to take more of your time responding to my specific needs but alas the choices are so vast that i find myself more confused than ever so hopefully you'll be able to point me in the right direction.

1) what you will be using the tablet for?
- mostly email, web surfing, ebook reader, some doc management and editing, and other business type applications including meeting notes (via virtual keyboard - not stylus or handwriting recognition), exchange calendar management. I'm not looking to replace my laptop but rather as more of a handy tool to use when dragging my laptop around is not feasible. I am able to do most of this (except the meeting notes part) on my current Droid. Must have WiFi but do not need mobile data access - i would simply tether my Droid if I have a need for data access when WiFi not available.

2) how much you are willing to spend
- $750ish i guess, would like less but i'm not afraid to spend money if it gets what i want

3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be?
- here's where my biggest dilemma is. one day i think i can't live w/o a 10" the next 7" is preferable. If I may request your thought on one of each so that perhaps I get a hands on feel of both before i make my final choice?

4) how much you know about Android?
- I currently have a rooted overclocked Droid 1 running Project Elite's Gingerbread ROM.
- I also bought my daughter an Archos 70 IT table and have rooted and installed the google market on it.
- i'm very comfortable making my way around the android os

5) Please list your location somewhere.
- I live in the Chicagoland area

Thanks in advance for your advice. The smartphone world seems much less complicated to me than the tablet world.

avid

Jan 19, 2011
If flash is doable on the flytouch 3 like mentioned above - would you recommend it? (it fits all my requirements, as it has a gps too) - or is there a particular reason you would advise against it? thanks