The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

maildrop

Mar 21, 2011
If flash is doable on the flytouch 3 like mentioned above - would you recommend it? (it fits all my requirements, as it has a gps too) - or is there a particular reason you would advise against it? thanks

ipad2 comes with an application called Facetime. Facetime only works wih Apple latest devices. Tango Video Call application can talk to ipad2 and andriod devices. I bought FT3 wlth a camera that i can do video calls. on ********** website, there is another quality device with even faster cpu with a similar price . however it is a 8 inch screen. cpu is a Samsung 1.2 ghz chip.

you got many choices here to buy an android tablet under $300. to get the best with most marketing hype, buy ipad2. just need to put out another $250.

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

paintgod

Mar 25, 2011
@Newbie3001 Motorola Xoom.

@paintgod Below $200, the best tablet that is locally available is the Coby Kyros MID7015. For the most part, you are better off with a netbook.

@aprillh Just pick up a wifi Motorola Xoom at Staples or where they are carried.

@isoDUB We pretty much try to have have every Android tablet on the market covered here at Androidtablets.net. There are not that many tablets we do not know about. As for news sites, I check AndroidCentral, Phandroid, Reddit, Shanzhaiben, and Engadget.

@N8OAY The eLocity A7's drawbacks compared to the Nook Color include a much smaller community of users, lower screen resolution, lower range of viewing angles, only wifi g, a higher pricepoint, and single-touchpoint touchscreen.

@generic3 Choosing any of those two models you found is a bad choice. Although you didn't quite answer the questions as instructed in the first post in this thread, I have an idea of what type of tablet you are looking for. Let me apologize for not quite answering your question properly. I didn't read over your original question in enough detail. I do not think any tablets can output video via USB right now, but there are tablets with HDMI output, but they do not tend to output high resolution images, and wont look very good on a large TV. Android tablets tend to be unupgradable in general. If you consider yourself computer savvy, you should try taking on the challenge of getting a Nook Color and using it as an Android tablets. If HDMI output is that crucial to you, the minimum I recommend is the Coby Kyros MID7015.

@Sc00by I don't have anything for you. The cheapest tablet I recommend with Flash support is the Archos 70 IT, at £229 or so. It wont be very upgradable. Do yourself a favor and skip the cheap illegal imports, especially if you want it to be a gift for your son.

@Kikari You need to get a real Windows convertible laptop for real support for handwriting and a full keyboard. They will cost more quite a bit more money, but you will actually be able to do real schoolwork on it.

@jessrw I do not know if the Enspert is a good tablet, but news on that device is quite scarce, making it difficult for me to recommend. If you do not have anyone to help you with setting up the device, given your price requirement of $200 the device I recommend is going to be the Archos 70 IT at $300. Otherwise, your alternatives are the Coby Kyros MID7015 and Nook Color respectively.

@hoyer801 Nook Color without question. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

thanks i just ordered the Coby Kyros I know a netbook is better for me but i want something small and easy to carry with me.
Thanks again for the help

splodge

Mar 27, 2011
Brand new on this forum. I could spend hours searching for info I'm sure, so I'm hoping I'll get a quick reply and then can get more focused.

1) I'm looking for a low cost tablet mainly for music use in the car. I want to experiment with something larger than an iPhone for music use. GPS would be nice but not necessary.
One of the key items, and this is a question: Can I use a 32G or 64G USB flash drive, or a USB hard drive to store my music and files, with a tablet, and does it depend on which tablet? I love the iPhone interface for music, and some of the various apps that make it easier and safer to control iTunes with simple scroll commands. I'm not sure if similar Apps exist for Android. I just find the iPhone screen too small, and most car interfaces to car head-units are really clumsy. The tablet would be used for general surfing/email use outside of the car.

2) Not sure but definitely much less than an iPad
3) probably 7", maybe 10"
4) I'm fairly computer literate, work in the electrical engineering field, and own an iPhone4 and mainly Windows based PCs. I'm familiar with Unix/Linux as I use it for my work.
5) I live in Canada

Any suggestions? Please don't challenge my desired use of the tablet for mainly music, too much!

Thanks.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
@avid Try to gather more information on the Flytouch 2 variant with 512MB RAM and RAM support before making your decision. I don't know enough about the device to recommend it.

@sharkerbaby It makes sense to recommend the Motorola Xoom with your type of budget. At 7", the best tablet is arguably the Samsung Galaxy Tab, though it is difficult not to include the Nook Color whenever the 7" form factor is being considered. You should probably walk into a local BestBuy and get a feel for the different form factors.

@splodge We don't have a lot of choices in Canada, but if you have the budget, grab the Viewsonic gTablet from Tigerdirect: Buy the Viewsonic gTablet 10.1 Internet Tablet at TigerDirect.ca

Otherwise, try importing a Nook Color from the US. The Coby used to be available in Canada, but I can't find it anymore. There is a Craig tablet available at Zellers, but that just is not a good choice considering its price.

@JetBlackStealth6687 Not sure. I am guessing that Android 2.2 is probably as high as they will go.

sharkerbaby

Jan 2, 2011
Thanks Xaueious, I truely appreciate your advice. I'll check out the three you recommended. I'll likely be spending more time here once I settle on and purchase my tablet.

hishamelsayed

Mar 27, 2011
Dear xaueious,

I'm reading this thread since three days and just finished now, I'm much happy to see your recommendations on tablets as it's really benefit able,
I will answer your questions to get your recommendation because It's my first time with tablets and Android :)

1) Mainly for study my MBA degree|internet browsing and socials|GMail|Adobe Flash|No games

2) 200$-300$ and maybe more if you highly recommending

3) I think (9"-10") the optimum as I have my 15" Note Book (Windows 7) and iPhone 3GS (Apple OS),

4) I'm computer user (15 years), System Administrator (10 years), Technology advisor (4 years), so don't worry :)

5) I'm from Egypt and live in Saudi Arabia; I will purchase online only through Amazon, eBay or any trusted online store.

Thank you in advance my dear.
Hisham

robjrock

Mar 29, 2011
How to ask a good question
Hi guys!

OK, complete noob here. I could some advice:

Must have features:

Built in 3G
7 inch screen
Capacitive screen
Android OS 2.1 or better

Nice to have features:

GPS
Enough power for some gaming
HDMI out

Budget ~$300

So, anything match this atm - or will I just have to wait for the Huawei S7 Slim?

Thanks!

alcassetta

Dec 27, 2010
How to ask a good question
Hi guys!

OK, complete noob here. I could some advice:

Must have features:

Built in 3G
7 inch screen
Capacitive screen
Android OS 2.1 or better

Nice to have features:

GPS
Enough power for some gaming
HDMI out

Budget ~$300

So, anything match this atm - or will I just have to wait for the Huawei S7 Slim?

Thanks!

Go to Elocitynow.com and check out A7 ,I bought one and it has alot more than you listed, You can pay movies 1080p to your tv, it.s superfast with dual processors same as motorola xoom! Full USB and HDMI is great!

generic3

Mar 25, 2011
I'm back xaueious. Thank you for all your advice you have given me as well as these other people. After reviewing what I thought were good purchases on those other 2 tablets I searched and read some reviews and educated myself a little more. I must agree with you those were bad ideas. I chose another model http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&view=all&item=170619746058&tid=639597167007. Then after I excitedly purchased it I freaked out some lol! I believe I made a better choice than I would have previously. Again thank you for your time~~

CALL911

Mar 29, 2011
1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps
2) how much you are willing to spend
3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be
4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate
5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way)

1) I need this for work (mostly). I need to have a USB port, wifi is a must, as well as Adobe Flash. I need this to be reliable, and fast. I would really like to have an HDMI output as well. I will also be using this for entertainment purposes, so I would like a decent resolution screen and some memory (an optional larger SD card would be okay). I don't need a TON of memory, but I want to be able to watch movies with clarity. The biggest concern I have is that I don't want to buy junk, or something that will crash often or worry about sending in for work to be done on it regularly.

2) I would like to keep the price range around $300 or so.

3) I would like the 10 inch screen. I find the 7 inch screens are too small for my liking.

4) I am fairly computer literate, but I am no expert. I am willing to learn, and am a fast learner.

5) I am in Indiana.

What should I get? I was thinking about the Viewsonic G tablet, or the Archos 101.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
@hishamelsayed I don't see the better Android tablets shipping to the middle east from Amazon. Not many choices for 10-inch. Try either the Archos 101 IT or the Viewsonic gTablet from ebay. The gTablet has better support for Arabic though, I believe.

@robjrock You should wait for the S7 slim, or see if you can import a cheaper capacitive Huawei S7 from somewhere. Not many options with 3G.

@generic3 I couldn't see the product associated to that ebay link. Not sure what you are trying to ask...

@CALL911 Those two tablets are the ones you would consider. Your choice of one over the other depends more on how much you are willing to experiment with using custom firmware. The gTablet is a faster device with a larger user community, but the 101 is a better out-of-the-box device with official firmware supports.

CALL911

Mar 29, 2011
@CALL911 Those two tablets are the ones you would consider. Your choice of one over the other depends more on how much you are willing to experiment with using custom firmware. The gTablet is a faster device with a larger user community, but the 101 is a better out-of-the-box device with official firmware supports.

Okay, I have to play the "dumb" card. What is firmware, and what difference will it make in my decision between these two.

Also, what else is different about these two?