The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Okay, I have to play the "dumb" card. What is firmware, and what difference will it make in my decision between these two.

Also, what else is different about these two?

Owners of Android devices enjoy the privilege of being able to modify the installed operating system, much like how you would on a personal computer. Since Android is an open-source operating system, there are a wide range of possible modifications. The range of modifications available depend on the type and number of users the device have.

The Archos 101 IT is better out of the box and has better manufacturer firmware, but the hardware is weaker than the gTablet, possessing half the RAM and one whole less application processor. The Viewsonic gTablet has bad manufacturer firmware, but has been adopted by a larger community of enthusiasts due to the prowess of its hardware. If any given Android device, beyond what the manufacturer can give you, you are investing in the work of the existing userbase on customized firmware and customizations. The range of customizations available significantly alter the basic factory functionality of the device, including performance and usability modifications.

To get an idea of how this works, see:
Gen8 Android Development - xda-developers
G Tablet Android Development - xda-developers

swclemmons

Mar 30, 2011
i ordered a archos7ht from tigerdirect because they said it was upgradeable but the one i got was the v1 :( so i sent it back.
had it been upgradeable it would have been perfect. so im looking for another tab. i have a htc incredible rooted and love the options of different firmwares.
Looking for
ANDROID 2.1-2.2
7" screen
something rootable with many roms available
good screen and video playback (doesn't have to be hd just has to play smooth)
Market
microsd slot
flash
wifi (3g not needed)
$150
like i said the archos was a good machine just not quite what i ordered. it had nice roms and was easy to flash them onto it with RKandroidDm. looking for something that would work the same way in this aspect as it made it easier to load roms
thanks in advance

Last edited:

madmalkav

Dec 7, 2010
Hi all. I need some help buying a 7" tablet.

My Archos 7 HT v1 died and, anyway, I was so tired of that Rockchip **** and their bogus kernel sources releases. But sometimes I'm not trying to mod devices and for that times I need another tablet.

I'm going in the ubercheap category, and I'm looking for something I can buy in Europe to avoid problems with customs. Amazon UK is offerring this Sylvania/Disgo thing for 110€ , but perhaps there is a better option that I missed out. Source code released and active developer community are nice pluses I will appreciate.

Thanks for reading, let's see your suggestions ;)

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
@swclemmons I would have told you to get the Kyros MID7015, but now the new MID7024 might change that recommendation because it is significantly more powerful than the MID7015 for only around $20 more.

@madmalkav That Disgo tablet isn't seeing good development or support, as you can see our subforum for yourself. The three wifi-only tablets that are actually GPL compliant and therefore have good community support in the UK that I recommend are the Advent Vega, Archos 70 IT, and Archos 101 IT. The Vega is a good deal right now. Or you would ebay a Nook Color.

madmalkav

Dec 7, 2010
Thanks for the quick reply, but I'm going in a whole new leavel of cheapness on this one, and also want to stick to the 7" size, so probably this Disgo or a WM8650 based one will be what I get. An archos 70IT is more than double the price, and also I don't want to buy another Archos product in some time, because I bought the 7HT believing in their track of GPL compliance and, well, you know well how all the RK28XX efforts ended ;)

In some months I will look to put more money on a powerful, well supported product. But I work repairing DSL lines and routers all along the state and I needed some cheap thing to browse the web and read some books when I'm stopped on the road waiting my next destiny :)

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
@madmalkav Disgo over the WM8650 for local support. You will be lucky to get more than 2-3 hours of battery life on wifi for both either of those tablets. I do not trust the WM8650 yet, even if it supposedly has Android market working on it.

THe A7HT's compliance was an anonmyly. No one figured out how to actually boot a working kernel from what Archos provided. This had little to do with Archos, but the company Archos contracted to do the firmware for them. The Advent Vega already has a large number of custom ROMs built from the kernel up.

@JetBlackStealth6687 In the US, the Coby Kyros MID7024 looks like it is better than any of those shanzhai tablets. Then if you must buy a shanzhai tablet, my opinion is that you should go for an Amlogic (iRobot A907 AMLogic Cortex-A9 Apad Android 2.2 Tablet) or Samsung (Haipad M7/Dropad A8 Samsung PV210 1Ghz Android 2.2 Tablet Capacitive Touch Screen Flash 10.1) 7-inch.

DinoDirect's title is a mess. That Freescale tablet has issues as well. Not recommended.

spikedzombies

Mar 31, 2011
Hey guys

im looking for a tablet 7" or bigger, g-sensor (not too highly important), flash, froyo or higher compatibility (lower ok if hackable to froyo or higher) and wifi (so that it can hook up to my hotspot via my mytouch4gi. Not looking to spend more than $200

Last edited:

skoster

Apr 1, 2011
Thanks for this thread! I need a tablet recommendation.

1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps

I'm a traveling Speech Language Pathologist and the tablet will be a combined PDA and GPS.

A. I need some way of keeping a calendar of appointments (Google calendar is fine, or anything else which can sync to my main computer).
B. I need a GPS which can use Google maps or some other free mapping software.
C. It would be really handy to have an FM receiver for radio since the radio in my car died recently (although this isn't a deal breaker).
D. I'd like a tablet with known strong wifi since it would make it easier to check my email and schedule appointments while on the road.
E. If there's a way to do free calling, that would be a big plus, but not at all a dealbreaker (I've lived this long without a cell phone, I can keep going).

Aside from work I'll probably also screw around on the web a bit with it (youtube, surfing, whatever).

2) how much you are willing to spend

In the ballpark of $200, though an extra hundred bucks more won't kill me.

3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be

Around 5" - 8" screen sounds right. Probably 7" would be the sweet spot.

4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate

I'm familiar with various flavors of Linux, I ran a Unix based BBS in the 1980s, but I have no experience at all with Android. I'm computer literate enough that I can follow instructions accurately. Basically, I probably cannot troubleshoot problems, but I can implement existing solutions.

5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way)

Maryland, USA

Thank you for any advice!

rpwoodjr

Apr 1, 2011
Have pretty much decided on the Motorola Xoom but waivering on whether to buy WiFi only...or the 3G/WiFi device from Verizon. I am definitely not interested in spending more than $20 per month for the data plan and I'm concerned that the 1Gb that comes with that $20 would get used up pretty quickly. I imagine that I'll have WiFi access 90% of the time and the thought of committing to a 2-year plan / $240 for occasional cell network use gives me pause. My primary uses of the device will be: Internet browsing, Email, viewing movies and home mp4 files...and as much movie or TV show streaming as the data plan would allow. Would like to hear from current tablet users that have a Verizon plan....to help me make that decision. Thanks in Advance for your help.

JetBlackStealth6687

Mar 15, 2011
@JetBlackStealth6687 In the US, the Coby Kyros MID7024 looks like it is better than any of those shanzhai tablets. Then if you must buy a shanzhai tablet, my opinion is that you should go for an Amlogic (iRobot A907 AMLogic Cortex-A9 Apad Android 2.2 Tablet) or Samsung (Haipad M7/Dropad A8 Samsung PV210 1Ghz Android 2.2 Tablet Capacitive Touch Screen Flash 10.1) 7-inch.

DinoDirect's title is a mess. That Freescale tablet has issues as well. Not recommended.

What do you mean by DinoDirect's TITLE? Why is it a mess? I prefer an 8-9" screen

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
@spikedzombies Nook Color

@skoster GPS is a difficult requirement. The Huawei Ideos S7 has everything you need except for FM. It has cell phone feature as well. You could also hack GPS functionality onto the Nook Color with some work. Those are the only tablets I recommend.

@rpwoodjr You probably should ask this type of question on our sister site Xoom Forums: Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum

@JetBlackStealth6687 It does not make any sense to put Rockchips at all in the title for a Freescale device. It's more of a SEO title though, so it's not really a big deal. The more important thing for that Freescale is the shaky screen issue and lack of sleep mode.

skoster

Apr 1, 2011
"@skoster GPS is a difficult requirement. The Huawei Ideos S7 has everything you need except for FM. It has cell phone feature as well. You could also hack GPS functionality onto the Nook Color with some work. Those are the only tablets I recommend."

Thank you very much, would your recommendation change if my price point were to increase to a maximum of $400 - $500?

Also, considering that GPS is the difficult part, would you advise just getting a stand alone GPS and a different tablet for my other needs?

Thanks again!

leebarr26

Apr 1, 2011
Hi looking into getting my first tablet. Just looking for one that I can browse the web, watch video, games etc so just the usual stuff. I was looking at this one here

I looked about this forum and found this thread which I believe is about the same tablet. And from the videos in that thread it looks like this tablet would suit me.

Do yous think this pad will suit what I want to do? Are there any other better alternatives for about the same price?

Also are these easy to root?

just came across this deal on the Advent Vega. Is this a better tablet?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Lee.

Last edited: