The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

Morgue

Apr 1, 2011
1) Want a tablet for email/calendar/contacts (Google and exchange), IM, videos(youtube, misc video sites, stream from home, Amazon etc.), Flash, games both android types and if online flash games then those too, E-reader stuff (load books and manuals to have better access to then my phone, Google voice, VOIP (via Bluetooth), Music, Pictures, and finally a g-sensor would be needed/wanted.

2)Looking for around 250 to 350 to try and see how well a tablet will do for me in personal use. Cannot justify a higher price yet.

3) Really want a 10 inch, but I have played with the nook color and could make do with that size if all those features plus 1 or 2 that are important were included

4) Pretty "computer literate" and on my third droid phone device. Have some Dell streaks at work that we use/support. Rooted 2 of my devices, and have done various firmware customizing etc. with phones for years.

5) Washington State, rural community.

I really was hoping to find something that would have a sim card slot, and do gsm but for my price point it looks like those will be sacrificed...is that safe to assume? If there was one that did have both of those features I wouldn't care if it was 7 or 10 inches (but at least 7).

I originally read what people were doing with the nook color, and still think that seems like a good deal, but the BT support is not where I would need it yet. I have access to get one in person and do what I want to it to test it so it is possible to get it and try BT for myself and see if they proximity is good enough to work. Is there any main advantage to this hardware (battery life, screen quality etc.) that would make is stand apart from the view-sonic gtab considering I will probably load my own ROMs?

The View-sonic Gtab at 300 looks to be the next best option, but it is rather hard to get a quick snapshot of prices/feature sets for android tablets so I would appreciate your advice.

Besides this forum and XDA is there anywhere else to look to get an idea for community support/work on devices that you would recommend? Ideally any device would be hardware supported by manufacturer but software by communities here and XDA.

Thanks for any help.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Most of the community support for the Nook Color and Viewsonic gTablet are on XDA, as you have mentioned. The screen quality and viewing angles on the Nook Color are better than the on the gTablet. Both tablets have the same screen resolution. The build quality on the Nook Color is also quite good from what I have seen. A key consideration for most people between the two devices is portability, and the 7-inch form factor is significantly more portable. The gTablet does perform better than the Nook Color overall.

Morgue

Apr 1, 2011
Appreciate the response. That does appear to be build quality worth considering.

SO at that price there really aren't other tabs worth considering?

archat68

Feb 6, 2011
I want a tablet with 3G support - atleast external 3G dongle. Galaxy Tab and iPad 3G is out of my budget.
My requirement is mainly browsing internet and accessing emails and some word - processing.
I read that both Archos 101 and Viewsonic G tab supports external Huwawei 3G modems after some mod.
But which one to choose?
Viewsonic G Tab is better hardwarewise but the screen is not that great.
Archos has better screen but a lesser powered processor.
Both has some community support at XDA - but not as great as Nook Color (which I own currently).
Both retails at about 290$.

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
I want a tablet with 3G support - atleast external 3G dongle. Galaxy Tab and iPad 3G is out of my budget.
My requirement is mainly browsing internet and accessing emails and some word - processing.
I read that both Archos 101 and Viewsonic G tab supports external Huwawei 3G modems after some mod.
But which one to choose?
Viewsonic G Tab is better hardwarewise but the screen is not that great.
Archos has better screen but a lesser powered processor.
Both has some community support at XDA - but not as great as Nook Color (which I own currently).
Both retails at about 290$.

G-Tab = Awesome

Too bad you didn't get the 3G version of the NC. WHould have solved your problems.

Phonger

Apr 5, 2011
Hi All, I'm looking to buy a tablet to replace my car audio unit. If you've seen the video of the iPad 2 install into a car, you know what I am aiming for. Anyways this is what it needs to be:

Price: Less than $300
Size: 7-9 inches. I have compared my wife's ipad 2 and its just too large for the car
Needs GPS, the more responsive the better
Needs Wifi
Needs Bluetooth (A2DP & AVRCP)
Decent viewing angle, I anticipate it being used by both driver and passenger.
From USA, but no problem ordering from outside
Very computer literate, could learn to root no problem.

Optional:
Front/Back Camera
Ability to run flash
3G (I plan to tether from my iphone/android phone (just bought a captivate to replace my water logged iphone 4))
Non reflective screen (I could just buy a matte screen protector)

Being new to android, I know the Galaxy Tab has a car mode. I wonder if this is a software all tablets can run? If so there must be some minimum operating system, 2.3?

Hmm what else? Oh if it has accessories like a car dock that would be great (would mean less fabrication). Quick question do most of these tablets allow for multiple bluetooth connections, in case I want to run OBD 2 sensors.

As you can tell I kind of singled out a Galaxy Tab, heck even ones with bad ESN would work. (it may be a case of waiting for the price of these to come down when the wifi only version comes out) But I'm hoping for other alternatives.

kbpipes

Feb 25, 2011
Hey guys I love this forum and read all the time. I rarely have anything to add so I don't post. I have a nook color running CM7 and use it every day all day at work. I work in the semiconductor business, and my nook gets lots of attention :)

My daughter who is 12 really would like a ebook reader. I would like to buy her a tablet and just load up nook and kindle apps on it for her. This way she will have a more useful device. Mainly calc, dictionary, and the web. I am looking for 100 to 150 dollars. Something with enough support that if it has any problems market and such I can get the info needed to get it up and running.

I was looking at the 7 inch tablets by Coby, and am thinking they would fit the bill. I also saw that I can pick up a zenithink ZT-180 running AOS 2.1 for about $160. I suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks

maildrop

Mar 21, 2011
Hi All, I'm looking to buy a tablet to replace my car audio unit. If you've seen the video of the iPad 2 install into a car, you know what I am aiming for. Anyways this is what it needs to be:

Price: Less than $300
Size: 7-9 inches. I have compared my wife's ipad 2 and its just too large for the car
Needs GPS, the more responsive the better
Needs Wifi
Needs Bluetooth (A2DP & AVRCP)
Decent viewing angle, I anticipate it being used by both driver and passenger.
From USA, but no problem ordering from outside
Very computer literate, could learn to root no problem.

Optional:
Front/Back Camera
Ability to run flash
3G (I plan to tether from my iphone/android phone (just bought a captivate to replace my water logged iphone 4))
Non reflective screen (I could just buy a matte screen protector)

Being new to android, I know the Galaxy Tab has a car mode. I wonder if this is a software all tablets can run? If so there must be some minimum operating system, 2.3?

Hmm what else? Oh if it has accessories like a car dock that would be great (would mean less fabrication). Quick question do most of these tablets allow for multiple bluetooth connections, in case I want to run OBD 2 sensors.

As you can tell I kind of singled out a Galaxy Tab, heck even ones with bad ESN would work. (it may be a case of waiting for the price of these to come down when the wifi only version comes out) But I'm hoping for other alternatives.

You answered your own questions well. :) With a 3G built in plus tech spec. you asked for, there is no way you can buy under $300 unless a refurbished or an used one. Or this one......

Amazon.com: Samsung Galaxy Tab (Verizon Wireless): Cell Phones & Accessories

Good luck hunting. Only look for those brand name telcomm. device makers such as Samsung, Mot, LG... instead of PC maker brand names. Nook came with 3G free (did not remember if current version has it) but not sure meets your specs in every way.

Last edited:

Phonger

Apr 5, 2011
Thought I'd get some more responses, but I did my own research (how about that?). Found some alternatives:

Huwai Ideos S7
Viewsonic View Pad 7
Flytouch 2 8in with GPS (may need to connect antenna externally?)

Any feedback about these three?

The Huwai & Flytouch has a resistive screen which I'm not so cool about, I have that on my current Pioneer Avic Head Unit (also had an HTC windows mobile phone back in the day) and I find the response is pretty terrible, I'm kind of used to capacitive screens ever since I've had my iphone.

BTW 3G is optional, I will tether from my iphone (I'm worried that the galaxy tab/other tabs cannot connect via ad-hoc). Feedback on this?

As far as how I plan to hook it up... right now I'm not doing a full integration. New cars today have such custom stereos that its hard to get everything right (keeping steering wheel controls, climate controls, external information etc). I have a 2006 Mazda3 and plan on adding a bluetooth module (Grom Audio), so the tablet will hook up through A2DP & AVRCP. This should allow for steering wheel control of the audio tracks and good quality audio.

The other option would be to hook up a Parrot Bluetooth kit, which would be hardwired into the car. However, I dont think I can control the music from steering wheel controls.

Hmm maybe I should post a new thread, maybe more responses.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
@archat68 If you need 3G support, the best option for you is the Huawei Ideos S7 tablet, followed by the closest Viewsonic Viewpad 8 in your area. It will be slightly out of your budget.
American version of the S7 should be:
HSDPA/HSUPA at 850/900/1900/2100 MHz
GSM/EDGE at 850/900/1800/1900 MHz

Note that India has 3G service at 2100MHz

@Phonger
Since you have an Android phone on order, with everything considered, your best bet is the Nook Color with the paid app TetherGPS and built-in Google maps navigation. TetherGPS is a $3 app that lets you share the GPS on the Samsung Captivate with the Nook Color (which should theoretically work). Not really sure about the bluetooth A2DP & AVRCP support specifically though. I think it has everything you listed.

If you have an iPhone and will be sticking with one, you want the Huawei Ideos S7 instead, which has its own GPS built-in. There is actually a workaround for adhoc on Android, so it isn't that bad. Then I would slot the $350 Galaxy Tab here, but it will cost you $100 more than the Huwaei. Both these tablets have dual cameras, with the Galaxy Tab having the better screen and camera, along with a better build of Android. The S7 is not meant to be used in a portrait orientation.

@kbpipes The Coby Kyros MID7015 is probably sufficient for her. Radioshack seems to be selling for $135 or so, although there may be cheaper prices than this out there.

archat68

Feb 6, 2011
Thanks.
Already purchased a Viewsonic G tab (the hardware was too tempting :D ) with the hope that external 3G modem that I have (Huwawei) will work with it. There is some development in the XDA.
Now just pray so that it works :) .

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Thanks.
Already purchased a Viewsonic G tab (the hardware was too tempting :D ) with the hope that external 3G modem that I have (Huwawei) will work with it. There is some development in the XDA.
Now just pray so that it works :) .
I was unaware of the USB 3G support for the Folio and Advent Vega before this. Or the gTablet. Hopefully it works for you. Sorry that I was mainly recommending integrated solutions. But I forgot to mention the Viewsonic 10s, which does have 3G integrated. Not that custom firmware support is that great on that one either. Anyhow, I hope it works out for you too.

Last edited: