The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

garbagecanman

Apr 3, 2011
Something else i was going to mention last night but the tab i have now has this crappiest battery life ever just over an hour on wifi. So something with good battery life and 3G capable either by some sort of dongle or by tether from my BB via pdanet bluetooth or USB.

Thanks

garbagecanman

Apr 3, 2011
Something else i was going to mention last night but the tab i have now has this crappiest battery life ever just over an hour on wifi. So something with good battery life and 3G capable either by some sort of dongle or by tether from my BB via pdanet bluetooth or USB.

Thanks

Well now im actually thinking along the lines of selling my generic epad and putting that towards a more capable 7 or 8" tablet so maybe recommendations for those that can do what i wanted a 10" to do as well as some way to connect to internet on the road ie tether my bb to it via USB or bluetooth, and have a good battery life. I have seen the coby and the archos 7 and 70 so far but dont know which would be best? budget would be like under $140 new or used dont matter.

Thanks again guys

watsont79

Mar 29, 2011
Ok, I'll leap in here. I've got some ideas. At this point I'm leaning towards hacking a Nook Color, but $250 is currently at my upper limit, I'm planning on using this in an marine environment, so unless I go real expensive Marine grade, I go in expensive and if it gets toasted after a couple of years its not a big deal.

1) what you will be using the tablet for. I want to run a navigation program that runs very well on my Droid called Navionics. The screen on the Droid is a bit small, i've seen it run on an I pad and it looks great. I'm hoping to get GPS and Wifi, flash would be a plus. Blue tooth needed particularly if No internal gps.

2) how much you are willing to spend I'd like to stay under about $250 ish

3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be? 7 inch should be big enough

4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate
Ive run Cyanogen mod on my droid for quite some time and have been very impressed

5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way) Alexandria Virginia,

Any other suggestions?

pragz

Apr 10, 2011
I am willing to buy an Android Tablet as my father is in Hong Kong and would appreciate some brand suggestions, along with price & shop name in Hong Kong. My basic requirements are good touch, wifi,3G if possible, latest android and durable.

jakie55

Aug 30, 2010
I am looking to upgrade my flytouch clone, which I rooted, flashed, and added apps.
1. surfing, video watching, ebook reading (the current one does this ok, but very short battery life) Needs to be tethered, as I will be in the country, and using Bell Mobility - either my blackberry, or usb dongle
2. no more than $200
3. 7 or 8 inch, depending. still not sure about 16:9 or 4:3
4. messed around with linux a bit, using ubuntu on an acer one, have a flytouch, and have built computers.
5. Edmonton, Alberta Canada, but could get things routed through family in Los Angeles

Interested in Coby, herotab 816, or any units that will mostly work out of the box, with some tweaking.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
@jbmp I actually don't know the Shenzhen locale at all at this time. Sorry about that.

@kitfreeman PDF annotation capabilities are limited on Android. I don't know what is locally available for you. So I have to list some Chinese tablets that might work: Ramos W10 resistive, or the capacitive Samsung generic Dropad A8.

@garbagecanman 10-inch below $300 = Viewsonic gTablet if you can follow instructions to flash firmware. Otherwise, just get the Archos 101 IT, which is better out-of-the-box. Battery life is better than any Chinese tablet you will get on either device. You get what you pay for. If you want the features, spend the money. There isn't much in the used market for decent Android tablets.

@Chefmaster That budget is on the low side. Locally your best option is still the Coby Kyros MID7015, but I would take a look at the MID7024. People are having some issues with the MID7024, and development has not taken off quite yet, so you want to hold off on that for now. The only one shipping right now is the 7024.

@watsont79 The Nook Color should be okay for you, but you need to have the Droid share the GPS connection. If you want to play it safe and use the tablet as a stand-alone unit, get the wifi Galaxy Tab.

@pragz I don't know Hong Kong much, but you need to provide us more detail to give a proper recommendation.

@jakie55 Spend a little more money on a Nook Color and don't look back. If you can put a computer together, flashing a Nook Color should be easy for you.

Don't bother with any more shanzhai tablets with that sort of budget. Keep an eye on how the Coby Kyros MID7024 is doing as well.

Last resort Chinese tablets to look out for are the Ramos W10 (branded shanzhai), or the Dropad A8 (S5PV210).

Chefmaster

Mar 18, 2011
Thanks xaueious for the reply. What do you think about the Creative Ziio 7" tablet? From what I read it seems like a good tablet from users. I'm half willing to go up to $200 on a tablet.

Last edited:

garbagecanman

Apr 3, 2011
@jbmp I actually don't know the Shenzhen locale at all at this time. Sorry about that.

@kitfreeman PDF annotation capabilities are limited on Android. I don't know what is locally available for you. So I have to list some Chinese tablets that might work: Ramos W10 resistive, or the capacitive Samsung generic Dropad A8.

@garbagecanman 10-inch below $300 = Viewsonic gTablet if you can follow instructions to flash firmware. Otherwise, just get the Archos 101 IT, which is better out-of-the-box. Battery life is better than any Chinese tablet you will get on either device. You get what you pay for. If you want the features, spend the money. There isn't much in the used market for decent Android tablets.

@Chefmaster That budget is on the low side. Locally your best option is still the Coby Kyros MID7015, but I would take a look at the MID7024. People are having some issues with the MID7024, and development has not taken off quite yet, so you want to hold off on that for now. The only one shipping right now is the 7024.

@watsont79 The Nook Color should be okay for you, but you need to have the Droid share the GPS connection. If you want to play it safe and use the tablet as a stand-alone unit, get the wifi Galaxy Tab.

@pragz I don't know Hong Kong much, but you need to provide us more detail to give a proper recommendation.

@jakie55 Spend a little more money on a Nook Color and don't look back. If you can put a computer together, flashing a Nook Color should be easy for you.

Don't bother with any more shanzhai tablets with that sort of budget. Keep an eye on how the Coby Kyros MID7024 is doing as well.

Last resort Chinese tablets to look out for are the Ramos W10 (branded shanzhai), or the Dropad A8 (S5PV210).

Thanks, if i were to replace this soon it would be with one of the new kyros 7 or 8024's, i think i might wait until the at&t version of the new iconica or whatever is released this summer hopefully?

jakie55

Aug 30, 2010

Thank you so much with your recommendations. I really do like the Nook Color, and may well pull the trigger on that one. Just need to save a bit more, now. I will do some more research on the Dropad A8, Ramos W10, and of course, the Coby 7024. I was somewhat worried about what looked like a lack of support for the Ramos, and as you said, the Coby is quite new, and the support has not gathered steam yet.

Nov 28, 2010
I'm thinking about buying a new tablet, not sure what to get.

1) I suppose I'll be using it mostly as an E-reader and for emulation so I'd like it to be dual touch with a least a 1GHz processor.
2) Around $200-$300.
3) I'd like something bigger than 7in if possible.
4) I'd like to think I know quite a bit.
5) Lansing, Michigan.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
@Chefmaster Little reason to get a Creative ZiiO when you get the Nook Color at the same price. Both will be more than $200.

@TheLonelySoul232 The Viewsonic gTablet

ibrahimovic

Apr 11, 2011
My first time here, and I am very impress of the community of Android user :)

I currently about to go to university so I need tablet for:-

eBooks: PDF, CHM and DOCX (Words 2010). Able to edit PDF/DOC.
Net: Support Flash
Video: mkv,avi, .sub support
Music: mp3, flac
Storage: 8G-16GB/ Support addition SD slot
Price: <USD$250. I'm a part timer so less is better
Build: Durable as I will travel and use it a lot
Version: 2.1/2.2 ( when 2.3 coming out?)
App: Support Android Market (Not sure if some block it, nvr use tablet before :p)

After reading through, I'm thinking of Nook Color or Archos 10 but I see that China-made one like S7/G10/Huawei have better chipset so I'm really confused.

Last edited:

tumpy

Dec 15, 2010
Archo is the only one on your list that is playing by Google laws, (meaning ) get invited to sit a the captain table. ..free access to the market and all what Google has to offer. Most tablets are made in China but the better one are from company base outside of China. An example is Ipad= America, Archos= Europe..Xoom= Korea...and my baby elocityA7= America..
Quality isn't top of the Chinese list. Quantities is....

Last edited:

ibrahimovic

Apr 11, 2011
Oh if that so, should I avoid China-made tablet? But I see that Huawei have an active thread going on here. But sadly eLocity is $340, way off my budget and with that price tag could land me a Samsung Galaxy Tab.