The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

Evrai Terrule

Apr 14, 2011
Hello, I have been wanting to get a Tablet for quite some time now but I just can't seem to figure out the best one for my needs.

1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps
I need Bluetooth, a capacitive multi-touch, flash, wi-fi, and the full Marketplace, g-sensor would be nice to but not necessary. I plan to use it for Web browsing, games, and essentially anything else I can use it for. I'd like to be able to play the most taxing games without too much difficulty. It would be nice to upgrade it to 3.0 eventually, but 2.2 is all I really need.
2) how much you are willing to spend
$200-$450, preferably on the lower end but whatever it takes.
3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be
Bigger would be better, 10" maybe? 7" would be okay i suppose but I'd prefer more.
4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate
I have installed a custom firmware on a Cruz Tablet before using detailed instructions. I can get by but I'd prefer to use it straight out of the box if possible.
5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way)
San Diego, California

So, essentially I want the best bang for my buck. The nicer the processor and graphics the better. I'm more than willing to spend $450 on a Tablet that fits all my needs but it would be nice to save a bit. Any good suggestions?

mikesuperrc

Apr 14, 2011
hi all:)

I'm currently looking for a good tablet PC, nothing to expensive though.
I am after some thing mainly to use as an e-book reader and to surf the web, smoothly.

It would need to have-
*WiFi at least and 3g capability's would be good or be able to hook it to my phone(phone as modem) for internet connection.
*A colour touch screen, multi-touch would be great but not important. (7 inch min.)
*capable of expanding memory with SD/microSD/TF cards or something similar.
*GPS would be a bonus

iv had a brief look at the archos 70 and i like it a lot except for the price tag. and i dont realy want/need the 3d games/features and capacitive screen and those sorta extras

and i live in Australia so some thing that is sold and usable here is a must if its only the power charger that is foreign and it can charge through usb from a computer its ok tho.

any help and/or advise would be great. thanks.

ibrahimovic

Apr 11, 2011
@ibrahimovic You are in Singapore, so your selection is different from what we have in North America. You seem to be listing tablets available in the American market. How are you planning to buy right now? Try to ask questions based on the first post in this thread, so we can better assist you. Your selection is extremely limited with your budget. The main problem with most Chinese unbranded tablets is durability.

Yep I am from Singapore :D Well I guess now I even more confused when there more selection than I previously thought. My budget is around USD$250 and I hope that the tablet could be 'jailbreak' and customize.

Updated wish list :)

eBooks: PDF, CHM,CBR and DOCX (Words 2010). Able to edit PDF/DOC. (Dont mind if I have to insall app to use this type of format)
Net: Support Flash
Storage: 8G-16GB/ Support addition SD slot
Price: <USD$250.
Build: Durable as I will travel and use it a lot
Version: 2.1/2.2 ( when 2.3 coming out?)
App: Support a good market

I prioritize more of eBook, comic and document reading plus a good chunk of apps to guide me on my studies rather than entertainment value since I already have a gaming laptop. Wifi is enough for me.

Any suggestion?

Last edited:

aardii

Apr 14, 2011
1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps
2) how much you are willing to spend
3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be
4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate
5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way)

1. My girlfriend's looking for a tablet she can use to browse the internet, check her email, watch videos, etc.
2. 100-200 USD
3. I don't think 10" is necessary, but I don't want anything super tiny
4. I know virtually nothing about the android environment, but I've flashed phones and such before and am pretty tech savvy
5. Florida, USA

Any/all recommendations welcome =] Thanks

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
@szak Samsung Galaxy Tab wifi version is a bit more expensive, but would be the quality device I think you might be looking for.

@paul525715 Not sure how that can be done with any Android tablet right now.

@jakie55 Tethering is not a feature that costs more or less money. Not sure what you would want to get without going across the border with that budget, really. You could import the Ramos W10, but I usually take issue with that sort of thing.

@jmkimes If you want dual-core Tegra 2, your options now are the Acer Iconia A500 and ASUS Eee Pad Transformer. The main motivation to get the Xoom over the other two in the long run is for community support, and availability.

@Pheyd When I told you to look at the RFD post, the original date was slated for sometime next week. Now it looks like June, but I am no longer certain.

@10 till 4 For a starter tablet, you could go for the Enspert E201 or Archos 70 IT if you want something a little cheaper that isn't too difficult to mod yourself, but I see little reason to get that over the Galaxy Tab.

@aeroguy Anything with resistive touch accepts a stylus, but the precision on most tablets is quite unsuitable for math. YOu need to get yourself a real convertible Windows tablet such as a Lenovo Thinkpad X series tablet for schooling purposes. The 10" Epad (Infotmic tablets) variants don't meet your battery life requirement. You also want to look at the Asus Eee Note EA800.

@sithlord_master The S7 has 3G capabilities built in. But if you are willing to spend the extra money and need celluar data access, you are still better off with a Galaxy Tab. The S7 does voice calls, but has a resistive screen and is still stuck in Android 2.1. The gTablet one of the better devices to get if you don't need celluar data, but Nvidia supposedly has cut off driver support past Froyo for it.

@Evrai Terrule Viewsonic gTablet is the best bang for buck, but it requires you to follow instructions. Otherwise, you have the Archos 101 IT. If you are willing to pay more, you can get nice tablets when they start becoming available in the Asus Eee Transformer and the Acer Iconia A500.

@mikesuperrc Not really sure what other options you have locally. How about the Galaxy Tab?

@ibrahimovic I actually wasn't sure how you would be able to buy tablets only available in the American market while in Singapore. I think your best option is the Ramos W10 right now, with that limited budget.

@aardii You should spend the extra money to get a Nook Color.

Evrai Terrule

Apr 14, 2011
Thanks kindly Xaueious! Your advice is much appreciated. Looking at your suggestions I am strongly inclined to go for the ViewSonic gTablet now. Much appreciated! :)

10 till 4

Apr 12, 2011
thank you tons, i was about to go buy a galaxy, i saw that one of the archo 70 can come with 250gb of internal memory. for $40 i think ill get that one

Mary_holk

Dec 10, 2010
I've been reading this group for a while as have several other people. I would like tablet and have been researching for a while and would like one before mid summer. I haven't decided if I want just wifi or 3G/4G since I have an android phone and hope to tether it to the tablet.

1. I would use it to browse the internet, check my email, watch videos, play music etc.
2. <600 USD
3. I would like something bigger than 9"
4. I have an android phone but have not flashed it.
5. California, USA

Thanks in advanced.

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
Mary_holk for those specs I would suggest the Motorola Xoom. It's a 10" multi-touch tablet that is currently selling for $600.. example: Motorola Xoom | Staples

I have the Motorola Xoom and I absolutely love it! If you want a 7" for $400 that is quite a good tablet also is the Asus Eee Pad Transformer. You can check out our sister site www.XoomForums.com for more information on the Motorola Xoom, or ask questions in our Xoom section.

garbagecanman

Apr 3, 2011
Mary_holk for those specs I would suggest the Motorola Xoom. It's a 10" multi-touch tablet that is currently selling for $600.. example: Motorola Xoom | Staples

I have the Motorola Xoom and I absolutely love it! If you want a 7" for $400 that is quite a good tablet also is the Asus Eee Pad Transformer. You can check out our sister site www.XoomForums.com for more information on the Motorola Xoom, or ask questions in our Xoom section.

Transformer is 10" is it not and the slider is 7".....

jakie55

Aug 30, 2010
Thanks, all, for your advice, and reasoning. I have learned a lot, and have worked to narrow down my wants and needs. I came to the realization that I was always trying to duplicate the Galaxy tablet specs and quality, and so, I went looking for and got a GREAT deal on a Galaxy tab. (for not much more than it would have cost me for a nook color, with shipping to Canada) I again, thank all for their help, on this great forum.

john

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
Hello all - first time here on the forum. Hopefully someone can help me here.

I've been looking for an Andriod Tablet for a while, ever since I played with a Galaxy Tab at Wireless Etc. The open file structure, Flash support, good design, expandable memory and overall very high levels of flexibility are very impressive. I own an iPod Touch at the moment, and are selling it (around $300) to raise cash for my new Tablet purchase.

I'm located in Canada, and have access to products in the US. Basically no-holds barred as regards the geography. :cool: I have a pretty good knowledge of file systems, the Andriod OS, but nothing too deep. But I don't get overwhelmed easily. I also (for the most part) completely understand the hardware side.

Now, I said I played with the Galaxy Tab and really liked it so far, but I am by no means limiting myself to the GTab. From what I've seen so far, plenty of new Andriod tablets have been coming out in the last while, and Honeycomb and the Tegra 2 seem quite appealing - things the GTab either cannot or will not have. Its getting pretty outdated in the Tablet world. I want an Andriod tablet, of course, though; that's why I'm here. ;) I'm have a fair list of what I'm looking for, shown below.

Tegra 2 (Or comparable) Dual Core CPU,
7-8" Form Factor,
1GB of RAM,
~16GB of internal storage,
True GPS Chip (No Internet Required),
(Starting to get a bit demanding here :cool:),
Support for new Firmware (i.e Honeycomb)
Expandable Memory (Micro SD sounds about right),
Wi-Fi (3G or 4G connectivity is no concern to me),
Camera (Dual Camera's would be nice),
Multi-Touch (shouldn't be too hard ;)),
~1024x600 Screen Resoultion,

It would be nice to also have a real USB port (not proprietary, like the GTab), but its not required. Honeycomb support, though is pretty much required. ;) Doesn't have to be immediate, though - I just don't want to buy a tablet that doesn't even support the newest OS that's out now. Be a bit a of a waste.

The 7" form factor, too, of the GTab felt perfect in my hands - however I haven't seen many tablets in that form factor that have anything close to this in my price range. It's a bit strange, since the GTab has most of the things here except for the Tegra 2 and Honeycomb. A small jump (well, fairly small) jump in specs shouldn't cost too much more, right? Everyone seems to say that the Galaxy Tab Wi-Fi Only is a rip-off. "Too-little too late", they say; that there are other tablets that are much better for a similar price. It's like they're right in front of me - but I can't seem to find any of these! Am I missing something here? :confused:

It seems to me that there are plenty of new tablets coming around (the Transformer is real nice), but not many in my form factor. Other than the Iconia, that is (which is too far out of my price range). My price range is anywhere from $300-$400 - hopefully I can find something in that range. I am also willing to wait for a while. I understand that the tablet market is getting bigger and bigger all the time, almost nearing a boom.

Can anyone help me out here? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Szabi

Apr 21, 2011
Hi All,

I would like to buy an Android tablet. This will be the first for me. I am Android virgin. I have never used it before but I am very courious.

I would like to use it for:

• Reading e-books, comic books
  • Watching video
  • Using Android apps. Games etc
  • Internet

I don't want to use it for:

• Voice or video call.
  • Navigation.

My expectations:

• Capacitive display, 10" because of the videos
  • Android 2.2 at least
  • Bluetooth
  • WLAN
  • Reliability

Good to have but not so important:

• HDMI
  • GPS
  • Camera

Not important:

• 2G/3G

Price limit is about 400$ (280 euro).

Could you please tell me your oppinion?
I found Prestigo MultiPad 7100C but there are no customer verdicts yet. What do you think of this tablet?

Last edited: