the Power/Battery/Charger thread

poncespr

Nov 24, 2010
its have also the same plug of motorola..

Do you have it already? Because those round plugs look like the old and new Nokia round plugs. Sometimes when they refer to having Motorola connectors, they mean mini and micro usb which are used on most recent Motorola phones, or the flat ones used on very old Motorola cell phones.
I sent for this kit:
DealExtreme: $6.29 Universal USB Car Charger with 7-Adapter for Cell Phone/iPod/PSP/PDA

Which when you look closely, has three round plugs, and I believe on of them is the old Motorola 3.2 mm and plan to use it with this:
Energizer® XP4001 Portable Charger for cell phones & MP3 players | Portable Charger

KitN

Dec 1, 2010
Wait, I thought the S7 couldn't be charged using USB. That it could only be charged via the included AC power Adapter.

Can anyone that has an S7 clarify if they can charge the unit via USB?

poncespr

Nov 24, 2010
Wait, I thought the S7 couldn't be charged using USB. That it could only be charged via the included AC power Adapter.

Can anyone that has an S7 clarify if they can charge the unit via USB?
You cannot charge by using the microusb connection on the S7 but you can charge by using a usb to 3.2 miniplug adapter and then connecting to a usb power source with at leat 1000ma, preferably 2000ma. If you connect to a standard 500ma usb source you probably won't be able to charge unless the S7 is turned off, or maybe with al radios off and brightness lowered down (will try this as soon as I get my usb adapters) because the current demand is higher than the 500ma supplied by most usb chargers.

lotusflower

Dec 3, 2010
Do you have it already? Because those round plugs look like the old and new Nokia round plugs. Sometimes when they refer to having Motorola connectors, they mean mini and micro usb which are used on most recent Motorola phones, or the flat ones used on very old Motorola cell phones.
I sent for this kit:
DealExtreme: $6.29 Universal USB Car Charger with 7-Adapter for Cell Phone/iPod/PSP/PDA

Which when you look closely, has three round plugs, and I believe on of them is the old Motorola 3.2 mm and plan to use it with this:
Energizer® XP4001 Portable Charger for cell phones & MP3 players | Portable Charger
So do we have to buy the auto charger set and the energizer seperately? I have au auto charger alone (not a set) which plugs into the S7, but the XP8000 (to be used also as a netbook battery back up) set does not have a 3.2. Now what to do?

Last edited:

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
For all the Energizer XPAL series chargers/batteries you can order two free replacement tips per year for each XPAL device for life (shipping was extra but reasonable $4 or so IIRC). I own the XP2000 solar charger and ordered the 3.2mm tip and another type of tip and they arrived in about 5 days.

poncespr

Nov 24, 2010
For all the Energizer XPAL series chargers/batteries you can order two free replacement tips per year for each XPAL device for life (shipping was extra but reasonable $4 or so IIRC). I own the XP2000 solar charger and ordered the 3.2mm tip and another type of tip and they arrived in about 5 days.

I know about the free extra tips. I decided to get the above mentioned car charger because for a little more than $6, it will also get me 6 extra different tips PLUS the car adapter that is 1000ma and I hope might work with the S7. This is just two bucks more than what they charge for the 2 extra tips shipping AND the cable is USB, so it will work with the external battery.

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
If you use a 1000mAh car charger with everything running on then the devices battery will not charge, probably discharge and you will experience heat buildup (check the cable!) so use with caution.
Also be aware that if you also use it this way and have the phone on then when you receive incoming calls you will get an initial surge and also when you transmit during a call. If the device goes dead then check the fuse in the adapter tip.
You can use these under powered units but they have limitations.
Target sell a GPS specific unit with the correct tip and it's 2000mAh.

Sent from my Ideos S7 using Android Tablet Forum App

poncespr

Nov 24, 2010
If you use a 1000mAh car charger with everything running on then the devices battery will not charge, probably discharge and you will experience heat buildup (check the cable!) so use with caution.
Also be aware that if you also use it this way and have the phone on then when you receive incoming calls you will get an initial surge and also when you transmit during a call. If the device goes dead then check the fuse in the adapter tip.
You can use these under powered units but they have limitations.
Target sell a GPS specific unit with the correct tip and it's 2000mAh.

Sent from my Ideos S7 using Android Tablet Forum App

I'm trying to work out a solution where I have only one USB charger to carry aroung for all my portable devices.
I will keep your advice in mind.
Thanks!

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Intended for all the different threads about powering the US.

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
I'm trying to work out a solution where I have only one USB charger to carry aroung for all my portable devices.
I will keep your advice in mind.
Thanks!

If you can find it, look for a power brick type +5VDC charger that can source >1000mA and has a USB port for greatest compatibility and flexibility with interfacing cables and adaptors (the Duracell 3 in 1 is the one I use plus it has the added benefit of a cigarette adaptor module that plugs into the power brick for maximum source power flexibility). If you can get one with two USB ports that helps for simultaneous powering/charging, but make sure that the ports are rated to source at least 1000mA (preferably 2000mA) total to ensure you can plug more than just your S7 into it and that the charger is enables the ports to intelligently power share based on what the devices are drawing (that its if you hook a 250 mA device and a 750mA device simultaneously to the charger they will both be supplied with the requisite current as long as the total output does not exceed the rating of the charger).

For on-the-go use away from a power outlet, I am having good success with the Energizer XPAL series of Li Ion battery packs with usb ports. My workhorse is the XP4001 (<$50US) that has two USB ports and can source 1000mA total out of the two usb ports and it does have intelligent power sharing out of the ports. There are many other similar 5vdc out usb portable battery power sources out there of varying capacities and output current ratings (capacity is typically measured in mA-hr rating - e.g, the XP4001 is a 4000mA-hour battery which means it can supply its max rated output current (typically measured in mA) of 1000mA for up to 4 hours), some of which have been posted by others on this board. To lower your risk, since the ratings, capacity, quality and performance (e.g., number of useful charge-recharge cycles) of these packs varies, use the recommendations of those who have posted reviews here and on other sites so that you are not the guinea pig testing a new unit unless you want to be. Good luck.

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
check out locally if you can source a solar charged battery pack. I bought one recently and it's a 1800mAh unit which I leave on the car dash as I travel and it stays topped up. It has a USB type port and a flashlight in the end!!!

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
check out locally if you can source a solar charged battery pack. I bought one recently and it's a 1800mAh unit which I leave on the car dash as I travel and it stays topped up. It has a USB type port and a flashlight in the end!!!

PA49

Not sure if you were replying to my post - but I have a an Energizer XPAL SP2000 solar pack also (in addition to the XP4001) that I keep in my car and dash solar charge - problem is that it is (1) more expensive than a non-solar unit with the same 2000mA-hr capacity (2) only has one 500mA limited USB output. So I typically use it with my non-S7 devices (phone, gps, mp3 etc) but it CAN charge the S7 (albeit slowly obviously) just not simultaneously run/charge the S7 - I guess it would at best slow internal battery drain if the S7 were plugged into it an running. lol. Like my solar unit for in the car and my XP4001 for carry around backup power.