Thinking of Buying My First Tablet.. Have Questions

Siveria

Feb 8, 2015
So at the end of this month I am thinking of getting my first tablet, I need to know a few things.

1: Is the os upgradable on these tablets? and what is the most recent version?

2: Whats a good model to get with a 400-500 canadian dollar budget? I think it needs wifi if I was to use my router to let it connect to it am I right?

3: How is the web browsing? what can it do? does it have adblock plus? I think I heard there is firefox for android.. how is that?

4: if my router has wifi, can I just set the tablet up to use that connection without any extra charges with my isp? Kinda the same way you can a laptop etc?

5: Any reccomended apps or games for it?

6: Any tips for general care with these? what can I clean the screen with? etc.

7: Can it be used at home keeping it plugged in the power adapter and have it use that instead of the battery? It will be used at home alot so, less wear and tear on the battery is good.

Thanks for any and all answers.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

1: Is the os upgradable on these tablets? and what is the most recent version?

Upgrades are issued from the manufacturer, the most recent OS version is 5.01 but you will find most of the current tablets have 4.2.x or possibly 4.4. The more mainstream the tablet the more likely you will get an upgrade.

2: Whats a good model to get with a 400-500 canadian dollar budget? I think it needs wifi if I was to use my router to let it connect to it am I right?

All Android tablets come with WiFi and yes, that's how you communicate. You will need to make your own decision on which one to purvhase based on features and size..

3: How is the web browsing? what can it do? does it have adblock plus? I think I heard there is firefox for android.. how is that?

Firefox is my primary browser on my Android devices and adblockers is available but not quite the same as you get with the desktop version

4: if my router has wifi, can I just set the tablet up to use that connection without any extra charges with my isp? Kinda the same way you can a laptop etc?

Yes.

5: Any reccomended apps or games for it?

Again, something else you may need to research on your own as that is a personal preference. But there are tons of them on the Play Store.

6: Any tips for general care with these? what can I clean the screen with? etc.

Use a micro fiber cloth to clean and don't apply any liquid to the screen directly. Only water if absolutely needed and then only applied to the cloth.

7: Can it be used at home keeping it plugged in the power adapter and have it use that instead of the battery? It will be used at home alot so, less wear and tear on the battery is good.

It can, but you would be tied to the cable.