Thoughts on NOOKcolor after purchase

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Bought a regular Nook wifi black and white with the idea that I was going to just use it to read. Actually my wife said that I should get the color cause that's what I am going to end up with anyways...didn't listen...bought the black and white and kept it for 4 days...liked it so much that I went and returned it, then headed right over to Barnes and Noble to pick up a Nook color...said that I wouldn't root it and would just wait for the update. Yeah that didn't really work out...ended up rooting...best decision ever! Went to Barnes and Noble and was looking at hard covers for my color and my wife said..."This is the one I am going to get when I get my Nook"...well long story short...I asked her if she would go and start the car to warm it up...picked up the cover she wanted and her new Nook color from behind the counter. So...do I like the Nook? Yep...very much!
Great story! But wait, does that mean you have TWO??? :)

That might be the answer for me and my wife too.

-Matt

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Got the Nookcolor because it seemed like it was going to be the best bang for your buck tablet availble once it was announced it was rooted and that B&N was going to have an android updated in 2011.

Used it as a regular Nook or the first week waiting to get a micro sd to root with. Even that is a great experience for books and the web. Then I rooted and the full potential of android and apps became availble making a truly great device.

Sure lots of sexy new tablets have been coming out like mad with gingerbread, high end processors and the I want factor but at the end of the day I look at their starting prices of 500+ and just laugh about how silly those prices are when you can just get a Nookcolor.

No regrets. I love this thing. Ocassionally I do wish I had the option of a 10 inch Nook for certain things but this would be in adition too, not instead of since I think the current size is ideal 90% of the time.

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

MannyPR

Jan 15, 2011
Hi guys and gals,

I am a new nook owner. Got mine yesterday from best buy and have been nothing but thrilled with the value and performance of this little monster. I am a gadget geek so I have tinkered with Android before in the Droid, Evo and Aria but nothing he been as rewarding as the nook. I have an iPad as well but I really like the form factor of the nook, so I guess we will see how much my dependance on my iPad shrinks. I am a home-based travel agent and plan to use my nook to do presentations and doing reservations for clients while on the run.

This forum wealth of info has been an amazing resource! Thanks to all the contributors!

Manny

Sent from my nooked nook using Android Tablet Forum App

APHawki

Jan 13, 2011
Great story! But wait, does that mean you have TWO??? :)

That might be the answer for me and my wife too.

-Matt

Yep it's been exactly the answer! I rooted mine...she was a bit upset...we went and bought her one...now she could really care less if mine breaks or not. Worked perfect!

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Very nice stories people, love the diversity of usage we are all getting out of the NC. Seems issues if any are all fixable and the advantages rooted or not are many. J515OP good point you made, the tablets coming out in the next 2-6 months are a bit more expensive than our Nookcolors.

Asus Eee Slate EP121 12" $999
Asus Eee Pad Slider 10" $499-$799
Asus Eee Pad MeMo 7" $499
Acer Iconia Tab A500 10" no price yet
BlackBerry PlayBook 7" $399-$599
Lenovo IdeaPad U1 11" $599-$999
Motorola Xoom 10" $499-$799
OpenPeak OpenTablet 7" $300
OpenPeak OpenTablet 10" no price yet
Samsung PC7 10" $699

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Yep it's been exactly the answer! I rooted mine...she was a bit upset...we went and bought her one...now she could really care less if mine breaks or not. Worked perfect!
I told my wife your story, and she gave me the "look." You know, the "That's a great idea, now why don't you go buy yourself one and LEAVE MINE ALONE?!?!?!" look.

-Matt

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Wow, thanks Rico those prices really warm my little cheapskate heart!

-Matt

You call it cheap, I call it (us) smart. ;) Remember minus the cam, 2.2 and bluetooth (which we will most likely be getting soon), the NC is in almost every way, a Samsung Galaxy Tab which cost $499-$599.

CLSmith

Jan 14, 2011
OK, here's my story. A year & a half ago I got to thinking I would sure like an eBook reader. So liking to read, I started researching ereaders. Price was and is a big concern. I decided to get a used Sony 505 for around $100 on Ebay. Then I got to reading again & I got to thinking, why not get a mini computer! I could use it as a reader, yet not loose my internet capabilities & programs, for around the same price. Again used. So this time I did buy a Dell mini 9. Just love it. But now that I've had it for awhile, I find it difficult to transport, you know, in it's own protective bug & such. So, I'm a Verizon Wireless retailer& finally upgrad to a smartphone. I get droid2. Just love the android system& apps. Well when you do alot of reading& a Drois screen just doesn't do it. So here comes the tablets. Verizon has the Galaxy tab, but I don't want anound gadget I have to pay for data on& the price is quite steep. So I start reading again about tablets. Found one in Light-in-the-Box for $179. Good deal I thought. So I bought it. When I got it, I might have used it for an hour& and said to myself, absolutly no comparison to my Droid. Shipped it back& got a refund minus restocking fees& shipping, about $70. Not a cheep way to go. Reading again & I stumble upon this info on the Nookcolor. WOW! It will fit in my purse! So I found a guy selling the nooter sd card& bought that. Then went to B&N online& ordered my Nookcolor. Got it 2 days later& haven't put it down much since. But I still haven't rooted it yet. It will be my first time doing something like that. So back to reading& learning, until I'm comfortable enough to do it. So glad I found this forum. Sorry to be so long winded but wanted to share my story& most of the time I just lurk. Thx

Sent from my Droid2 sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
What a great story! If you weren't about 2000 miles away I'd come on over and help you out. :) When/if you decide to root and start adding all those wonderful apps (the same ones you already enjoy on your Droid2), let us know!

-Matt

roger_15

Jan 17, 2011
Hi all, this is my first post here although I've been visiting now and then for a while.

My story: I first purchased a 3g and loved it; this was just before the NC was introduced.
Reading is why I bought it and when my son told me about the NC I think I said something
like "that's ridiculous, why would I want that."

But as a few days past, there was this little voice in my head that kept nagging me to go
look at it. You, the reader, might remember this little voice from your early cartoon days.
He's the little guy on your shoulder with the horns, pointed tail, and pitchfork that always
got you in trouble.

Well, I did go look at it but I still wasn't convinced I needed it. But with time, and Christmas around the corner, I told my wife if she wanted to, I would like one. My son
was gloating now. :p

Fast forward a bit and my son tells me I can hack it and have some fun...yep, you
guessed it. "Why on earth would I want to screw up my new Nook!"

Enter the little guy on the shoulder again!

I swore I would never root my nook, but that little SOB on my shoulder would not leave
me alone. I read all the stuff I could find and decided to try it. Yes, I am rooted and
loving it.

Good: Everything.
Bad: My son often reminds me of my oath.

Abb0nz

Dec 31, 2010
Haha, nice story Roger. And welcome to the community, I'm sure you'll find everyone here as helpful as I have.

pjstock42

Jan 17, 2011
Hey everyone, first post here.

I'll admit I'm a die hard iphone4 user, I've never really liked Android on phones, but I think that its a better tablet OS.

I'm a first year MBA student and I bought the nook color to start easing off of pricey textbook purchases. I've already found 2 of my books in .pdf files (through not quite exactly legal methods) which means ive already saved $400 on 2 books. Another of my books is available in full on Google books, and I've found a method to get individual pages as image files and combine them into a .pdf, so although it's tedious, I'll do it chapter by chapter as I need. There is still one book I have to purchase a physical copy of, but $250 for the nook color is seemingly an investment that will pay for itself in a couple semesters.

Since I've rooted it, it's like a whole new device. I can read my .pdf's, switch over to a game, check twitter and read through powerpoint files for my classes. The screen is very crisp and the build quality of the device is great.

I can't wait to see if 3.0 Honeycomb is ported to the NC, as well as all the other things that will surely soon be possible.

Overall, I can't help but feel that for once, I've actually underpaid for a piece of technology rather than spending too much.

brokevet

Jan 15, 2011
I am an avid Lurker. I slather over every word. I am so jealous of the NC owners. I am a Mac user. I have an old donated Macintosh. I lay here in bed with the monitor, keyboard, and mouse on my hospital table. I have an ex-wife who happens to be my caretaker. Not my fault the Army did it to me. I have an iPod Touch 2nd. gen. that was handed down to me. It has been lights out here at 9:30 pm until last night. I surfed until 10pm. Now I am punished with lights out at 9 for a few months. Well I read news, check email, and see what is going on with facebook on the iTouch with the covers over my head. She won't allow me to be on facebook because the flash games are ruining everyone's life. What life? I just lay here and do nothing else. Anyway the screen is too small. I would be happy with 7"s of screen. I am familiar with Android. I think I would like it. The Barnes & Noble setup is worthless to me. I have no money as my $243 a month goes to my care. And I have no credit card to even download the free books. So maybe another tablet would work. But I am so used to capacitive touch and pinching from the iTouch. I did use Palm PDAs for years so I am okay with stylus or fingernail. I just dream of a Nook Color. But how many of you paid more than one month's entire salary for one? $266.43 is the best out the door price. I make $243.00 a month from the VA. And since I am incompetent it goes to her. She cannot afford to pay bills without my monthly insult. So unless someone wanted to adopt me... I will just lurk and dream of having one. Except for when depression sets in and I sleep for two weeks. Or the PTSD gets me and I am back in 1992 again for days.
Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln... How was the play?

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Since I've rooted it, it's like a whole new device. I can read my .pdf's, switch over to a game, check twitter and read through powerpoint files for my classes. The screen is very crisp and the build quality of the device is great...

...Overall, I can't help but feel that for once, I've actually underpaid for a piece of technology rather than spending too much.

Well said and these comments put a smile on my face. :)