Top Android Tablets to purchase

unekgal

Sep 28, 2010
Hello, I am in search of an android tablet for my husband's birthday and I don't even know where to begin. The specs I know that are important are: fast processor, good video, HDMI hookup, 2.1

The thing I am seeing is issues with the touchscreens - are there any that are very similar to the apple ipad and are very smooth and not necessarily intended for a stylus?

Please any info is appreciated. Just a list of the best tablets out there and why. Thanks!!!!!

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Hello, I am in search of an android tablet for my husband's birthday and I don't even know where to begin. The specs I know that are important are: fast processor, good video, HDMI hookup, 2.1

The thing I am seeing is issues with the touchscreens - are there any that are very similar to the apple ipad and are very smooth and not necessarily intended for a stylus?

Please any info is appreciated. Just a list of the best tablets out there and why. Thanks!!!!!
I'm a newcomer too (owned the Pandigital Novel 7" Ereader/Tablet for 2 months), but will offer some newcomer impressions.

(1) Right now it feels like the there are a number of $200-ish tablets, mostly 7" widescreens with resistive touch, coming from Chinese manufacturers. Regarding resistive screens (works well with a stylus or backside of a pencil)...I think they're OK, but since I've owned a Motorola Droid with a much easier capacitive touch screen, resistive feels like a major pain!

(2) Alternatively, several major companies (e.g., Asus, HTC, Samsung, HP, etc.) have announced plans to release 7" and 10" tablets in the fourth quarter (i.e., around Black Friday). Based on early guesses, these tablets will cost more--like $400-$600--and try to compete feature-for-feature with iPads. Including HDMI, 1 or 2 cameras, GPS, good processor power (even dual cores), and of course capacitive screens. These are beefy enough that when Android 3.0 "Gingerbread" is released--which will hopefully be well-suited to tablets--they will be able to handle it well.

So my plan--after losing interest in the Pandigital--is to wait a few months, and pay a few more dollars (OK, I mean $200) and jump on something from a company that I have better experiences with (love my Asus thin-and-light notebook). Not to paint other users here with a broad brush, but I wouldn't suggest buying one of the $200 units unless you need it ASAP and don't mind something that needs tinkering to get it to work they way you want (Disclaimer: I'm a happy tinkerer!)

-Matt

meanleekim

Sep 25, 2010
if you wanted to buy an android tablet, you might want to look up wikipedia since they provide detailed information.

on the other though, you can also visit the website androidtabletcentral.com, which i usually buy my own stuff of gadget. not only their cheap, but they also make sure that they give you gadgets that are usable for western countries.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Sorry, I just realized your husband's birthday is a constraint. A very nice tablet that is generating lots of buzz is Samsung's Galaxy Tablet:

Samsung Galaxy Tab Hands-On Preview: What You Might Expect

The catch is (as far as I know) that it's priced pretty high...$600-$700. That may be an "early-adopter" price. Also, it looks like the initial version will require a 3G (data) contract with a U.S. carrier--$30/month? If a contract is required then I'd assume the subsidized price will drop considerably. I'd love to say $200 but that is probably wildly optimistic. I'd say "no thanks" and wait for a WiFi-only model.

-Matt

iamdestruktor

Aug 31, 2010
Do your research thoroughly. There's tons of threads for what you may be looking for. And lots of information about each site that you might end up buying it from. Just ask yourself what he would mainly use it for; email/internet, e-reading, movie watching, etc. And then find a suitable tablet.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Gadgetrants and iamdestruktor have it right on all points. The danger you face is imitations and poor stepchildren to what you really want. Ask yourself three questions

1. How much can I afford
2. Where will I buy it
3. Will I (in your case he) be happy with it in 3 months.

The $200US are disposables right now and will be outclassed in just a few months. If really desperate, decide and then print a picture, stick it in the B-Day card.

Best of luck

synaptyc

Sep 22, 2010
If your husband is anything like me, he is: DROP DEAD GORGEOUS, the most talented person you know, and picky about his tech stuff.

Do this:
Buy the "NuPad 7 Inch MID Android 2.2" for $172 or under shipped (you may find better prices or the same device under a different name. IE: "Apad e7002")
It comes with Android 2.2 and will be something he can play with and get used to tinkering with the tablets.
Upon clicking the "complete order" button, immediately write-off 50% of the purchase. (even if he hates it, the device still has some value)
He can use the tablet through the end of this year and watch for better devices to emerge into this 'niche market' at a fair price.
This 2.2 device will suffice until the devices that support Android 3.0 arrive.
Once he finds a tablet that he has researched and WOULD LOVE TO HAVE... order it =) Keep that gorgeous hunk happy!
Upon receiving the newest tablet that he is emotionally invested in, sell the first tablet on Craigslist for half of your cost or around $100.
You get a happy recipient of your gifts, you kept your sanity by just pulling the trigger and selecting an Android 2.2 device that does enough stuff to get by, .... plus you get to 'rent' a cheap tablet you know nothing about for half price or less!

Win/win scenario.

Good tablets are on the horizon but not released yet. IE: eLocity A7 . Don't hold your breath though =)

Hope this helps!

(ps: this is my plan as well. I don't mind buying something that will take care of most of my needs NOW and watch for something that I really want (Android 3.0 capable tablet) to emerge later. Write-off 1/3rd to half of the initial purchase and dump it on Craigslist. I get to test a tablet for cheap, the next buyer gets a good deal too!)

Last edited: