Toshiba Folio Media Player on the Advent Vega

beegee_tokyo

Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Recently I got my hands on a ROM coming from the Toshiba Folio Android tablet. Of course I wanted to checkout the applications that are coming with the device.

Only impressive thing I found is the Toshiba Media Player. It provides access to music, videos, photos, podcasts on your SD-card and as well access to your media home server (if you know how to set it up.

Music player
The integrated music player updates your songs automatically $ToshibaMP-1-300x175.png
with the album covers and its quite successful with finding the correct pictures.
You scroll through artists, albums, songs and create your playlists. Just the things that all other media players offer as well.

I found no possibility to import playlists and$ToshibaMP-3-300x175.png
your music has to be all in the same folder on your SD card, no subfolders possible.

Widget
Of course there is a widget for your homescreen: $ToshibaMP-0-300x175.png

Video player
The video player part scans your SDcard for $ToshibaVP-4-300x175.png
exisiting videos and movies and shows them in a list with a small thumbnail. The quality of the replay is ok, but nothing special. Couldn't test if it support 1080p, as I have no such videos.

Picture viewer / slide show
The picture viewer lets you select a preview by $ToshibaPP-6-300x175.png
folders or all photos. When you scroll first through the preview, its quite slow, but once it has created all the thumbnails, its acceptable fast.

The slide show doesn't have many features, basically the only thing you can change is the speed, transitions are selected automatically.

More infos and screenshots on my HTC Desire and Android tablet pages.

Cannot post all screenshots here.
:(

Overall I expected something better on such an expensive tablet as the Toshiba Folio, but I have to say it runs nice and smooth on my cheap XVision / Vega with the MoDaCo r8 ROM.

Anyway, you can download the player from my download page and try it by yourself. Just copy the file to your SD-card and install it from there.
pencil.png

jev

Apr 12, 2011
I've not tried this player (yet), but does it allow video's to play in slow-motion? Can one simply go back and fro through a video fro frame-by-frame?

tumpy

Dec 15, 2010
Have a few thousand apps free and paid,Of all the media players i try this has the best interface and does it all. thanks for the heads up on this....
jev, there is a saying nothing beats a trial but a failure.. some question need to be left unanswered...

beegee_tokyo

Developer
Feb 8, 2011
I've not tried this player (yet), but does it allow video's to play in slow-motion? Can one simply go back and fro through a video fro frame-by-frame?

Never tried slow motion with this player and have it not installed at the moment, as I am playing with different ROMs.

So I suggest you follow tumpys advice

Have a few thousand apps free and paid,Of all the media players i try this has the best interface and does it all. thanks for the heads up on this....
jev, there is a saying nothing beats a trial but a failure.. some question need to be left unanswered...

Yeah, trying everyday to get something better and get some questions answered and others still left. But never give up.

jev

Apr 12, 2011
jev, there is a saying nothing beats a trial but a failure..
If someone has this beast installed already and can tell whether or not it provides the requested feature, that prolly would've saved me the time and hassle to install it and try it out myself. But I guess it's not customary anymore to help a fellow tablet-owner that's asking a simple question on advertised software where a simple "yes" or "no" from anyone that has it installed would've sufficed :(.

tumpy

Dec 15, 2010
I see you hate heavy lifting, all you had to do is download and test for yourself, I did so do many others you quote me but yet fail to realize the answer to your previous question is over look in my reply, reading is fundermental.. JAHRASTAFARI...