Total Android Newb question Here! (saving apks)

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Okay...as most of you know, this is my first Android based device (so no pointing and laughing! :) ) and I am a stickler for having organized folders/files.

Does it matter where I save apk files?

Once I install the apk file, can I then move that apk file to another folder?

I think answers to those two questions will answer any other questions I have about apk's

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Okay...as most of you know, this is my first Android based device (so no pointing and laughing! :) ) and I am a stickler for having organized folders/files.

Does it matter where I save apk files?

Once I install the apk file, can I then move that apk file to another folder?

I think answers to those two questions will answer any other questions I have about apk's

Saving as in "backing up", not moving installed apk, then no it does not matter where you save to; you can move your backed up apks anywhere you want.

I use ASTRO to backup my apks and it makes a folder on my sd card. Now if I move the folder it created, it may not know where to look but for manually backing up apps, this should not matter.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Okay, here is an example...I put the new quickoffice hd you posted into my dropbox...then accessed it on my NC...I installed it from the dropbox folder. Can I now move that apk from my dropbox folder to another folder or does it need to stay in that folder for Quickoffice to work properly?

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
No you can move the apk files like I have a folder titled applications that I store my apk files in

Sent from my incredible using Android Tablet Forum

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
In fact I keep a USB drive with all of my APKs on it for when I flash, or screw around too much with something.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
No you can move the apk files like I have a folder titled applications that I store my apk files in

Sent from my incredible using Android Tablet Forum

In fact I keep a USB drive with all of my APKs on it for when I flash, or screw around too much with something.

Thanks to all of you...just the answers I was hoping for.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Okay, here is an example...I put the new quickoffice hd you posted into my dropbox...then accessed it on my NC...I installed it from the dropbox folder. Can I now move that apk from my dropbox folder to another folder or does it need to stay in that folder for Quickoffice to work properly?

You can move that file anywhere you want. Think of the file in terms of windows applications (.exe) or a whole cd/dvd. The file uncompresses and installed it's contents (files, setting, etc.) to the android os application section, similar to "program files" in windows, and then finishes. Now what you do that that apk file you used to install is up to you. You can move it anywhere you'd like.

Android applications are install on the internal storage section, the apk file you used to install is where ever you sideloaded, downloaded or moved it to.