[Tutorial] CMP741D Jellybean Install

borincano

Feb 5, 2013
Yep, Go to Craig Electronics' Official Website (craigelectronics.com), go to E-Digital, then go to CMP741D and scroll down to the "Download" link and download the archive, after that, extract the update.img from the folder within the archive into the MicroSD card, then insert the MicroSD Card into the Tablet and when it asks to update, select Yes twice and it'll reboot and install the firmware for you :)

Sent from my Craig CMP741D using Tapatalk 2

Nope did not work for me

DerpyTails

Aug 31, 2012
Nope did not work for me

I figured that as I tried the same method, but apparently, it doesn't work, So here's Method B:

1. Follow Everything from my Last Post up to the part for when you open the archive, but also download the RK29xxImageTools for extacting the update.img here and RKUtils (which will contain RKAndroidTool) here

2. Extract RK29xxImageTools into a Directory, (I did C:\RK29xxImageTools), Extract the RKAndroidTool folder from the RKUtils Archive into the RK29xxImageTools Directory as well, Same with extracting the update.img from Craig's Website, then rename update.img into wendal.img

3. Run the "runme.bat" File in the RK29xxImageTools folder, press 1 for "Unpack" and let it do it's thing, after it's done, the extracted files we'll need is in the "Temp/Image" Folder

4. Turn off the Tablet and put it into Bootloader mode (i.e. Holding only the ESC Button for a few sec., then plugging in the USB Cable) and load RK29Update from the RKAndroidTool Folder, if you did Bootloader mode right, RK29Update will detect the tablet correctly

5. Now with RKAndroidTool, Tick the "Misc, Kernel, Boot, Recovery and System" boxes and browse for each component in the "Temp/Image" Folder, then tick on the Loader box and browse for the file in Temp "RK29xxLoader(L)_V2.08" and select it as you did the other components, also Tick the Parameter box and in the Temp folder, select the file named "parameter"

6. Press the Erase IDB Button to format the Tablet, Then Press Execute and let the Tool do it's thing, for when it's done, it'll reboot and it should reinstall the Original OS

Hope that Helps :)

Last edited:

borincano

Feb 5, 2013
I figured that as I tried the same method, but apparently, it doesn't work, So here's Method B:

1. Follow Everything from my Last Post up to the part for when you open the archive, but also download the RK29xxImageTools for extacting the update.img here and RKUtils (which will contain RKAndroidTool) here

2. Extract RK29xxImageTools into a Directory, (I did C:\RK29xxImageTools), Extract the RKAndroidTool folder from the RKUtils Archive into the RK29xxImageTools Directory as well, Same with extracting the update.img from Craig's Website, then rename update.img into wendal.img

3. Run the "runme.bat" File in the RK29xxImageTools folder, press 1 for "Unpack" and let it do it's thing, after it's done, the extracted files we'll need is in the "Temp/Image" Folder

4. Turn off the Tablet and put it into Bootloader mode (i.e. Holding only the ESC Button for a few sec., then plugging in the USB Cable) and load RK29Update from the RKAndroidTool Folder, if you did Bootloader mode right, RK29Update will detect the tablet correctly

5. Now with RKAndroidTool, Tick the "Misc, Kernel, Boot, Recovery and System" boxes and browse for each component in the "Temp/Image" Folder, then tick on the Loader box and browse for the file in Temp "RK29xxLoader(L)_V2.08" and select it as you did the other components, also Tick the Parameter box and in the Temp folder, select the file named "parameter"

6. Press the Erase IDB Button to format the Tablet, Then Press Execute and let the Tool do it's thing, for when it's done, it'll reboot and it should reinstall the Original OS

I'll try that thank you.

Rimax

Feb 12, 2013
Hello, I want to learn some of the new JB and I have interogante if the files are available to update the work for one CMP741D Craig CMP745 Craig Thanks in advance :)

DerpyTails

Aug 31, 2012
I really don't know about whether or not if this JB will work with that Tablet or not, sorry

Sent from my X500 using Tapatalk 2

mastermind278

Jan 13, 2013
Hello, I want to learn some of the new JB and I have interogante if the files are available to update the work for one CMP741D Craig CMP745 Craig Thanks in advance :)
It will work on that tablet with a few modifications, send me a private msg so I can make you the fixes needed.

Also let's please keep this on topic it's for the CMP741D.

I also apologize for not having an updates, been extremely busy. Nonetheless, I know some people wanted the volume buttons there are a few fixes by OMA that will do just that: Oma?s JB Fixes | Crew RKTablets

bolton

Jan 22, 2013
Matermind278 thanks for all your work on the D&E model tablets! I wanted share with everyone what I'm using to control the volume. It's called "Volume+ FREE" and can be found in the play store.

RiseUp

Feb 20, 2013
Mastermind,
First of all thank you so much for this tutorial and all the hard work you and Oma have put into this.
I seem to be having trouble with the beginning of the procedure, because I hold down the Esc button, insert the USB cable, and instead of the screen staying black I get the android Ice Cream Sandwich logo followed shortly by the android laying on his back with his chest open and a red triangle with an exclamation point hovering over him.
-No drivers try loading in windows
-RKAndroid never detects it
-No matter if I continue holding the Esc button or not, after a few minutes the tablet resets into normal mode.
I am running RKAndroid as admin, and I am waiting until I begin holding the Esc button before I insert the USB cable.
Am I missing something?

RiseUp

Feb 20, 2013
Nevermind, root worked perfectly. Turns out the USB cable was bad. SO anyone else with this problem, swap out USB cables. Worked instantly for me.
Thanks again for this excellent writeup.

jimn2tdi

Sep 2, 2012
Great directions, I have JB up and running beautifully on this tablet. Thanks

Is there any way to change the boot logo from the ICS logo to say a JB logo? Also is there any way to add bluetooth dongle support?

mhunt13

Nov 15, 2012
Mastermind,

FYI - Tried to install just the 'touch' CWM recovery from your JB tutorial, but could not get it to install or flash on the stock rooted CMP741d. It seemed to flash OK, but never appeared on tablet.

I did find your link (http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...l-craig-cmp741d-cwm-install-instructions.html) to generic rockchip CWM recovery and that does install on the stock rooted ROM. This is version 6 CWM -- and with it installed I did find that you can boot directly to recovery from a power off state, by holding the 'menu' and 'power' buttons. Using this CWM, I took a full nandroid ICS backup. Also installed Titanium Backup, and backed up all user apps + data.

With these backups secured, I felt comfortable about using your tutorial to flash JB. That's done and working -- Thank you!

Observations with Jelly Bean installed:
- The camera is still showing mirror images -- Have you seen a fix for that??
- Lost the volume buttons in taskbar, tried the fix titled 'SystemUI_with_volume_buttons.7z' contains a 'SystemUI.apk' file --this will not install, always errors.
I did install another volume fix, called 'Volume_in_Notification...apk'. Like this a lot, puts a speaker icon in notification area (like Windows). Both these fixes are in your
link to Oma's fixes in above post.
- Not sure about Flash yet. Chrome browser seemed to just end when I tried a video. Need to do some more testing with Browser and Chrome. Is there a Flash download needed ??

I also wanted to test going back to original ICS backup. With JB the 'touch' CWM is version 5. I took the ICS backup with CWM ver 6. When I tried to restore the CWM ver 6 ICS backup with CWM ver 5 -- it errored. I'm thinking CWM 6 backups are not backwards compatible. Going to need a different restore method to go back to ICS ... should I ever really want to.

At this point JB running great, seems pretty responsive. Have restored or installed most of the apps used frequently.
Appreciate any more tips you may have.....

deansouth8

May 15, 2013
Here is how I took care of the volume button issue, instructions below. Went into CWM and did the keyboard test. Found out what number was associated with the buttons I wanted. Looked for the file that handles that for the OS... /system/usr/keylayout/rk29-keypad.kl Edited the document. Believe it was key59 and key158.

1. Backup the entire /system/usr/keylayout/ folder to your SD or external. This is your backup.
2. Make sure you have root read/write on your file manager.
3. Make an additional copy of rk29-keypad.kl to another location on the SD or external.
4. Open and edit the rk29-keypad.kl you just copied and change the following key binding lines you see...

key59 VOLUME_DOWN WAKE_DROPPED
key159 VOLUME_UP WAKE_DROPPED

(NOTE: You can leave the other existing volume values in. I didn't touch.)

5. Save and confirm changes.
6. Replace the /system/usr/keylayout/rk29-keypad.kl with the one you just edited with your file manager.
6.5 Confirm changes.
7. Edit the permissions for rk29-keypad.kl to make sure they match other documents in that folder or just give full permissions to it.
8. Restart the android and test enjoy. Donno why this wasn't done by Craig in the first place.

This all worked for me... Hopefully wasn't having a stroke writing this and it makes since to you.

Last edited:

newmember

May 26, 2013
Hello Mastermind278, Thank you for a wonderful tutorial. I followed your tutorial closely and at the end of RUN OK Craig CMP741d did not boot. Now it is being recognized by the RKAndroin but does not come on. Please help.

Djfuego

Jul 17, 2013

Thank You, Worked perfectly...

Aug 13, 2013
I tend to do things the hard way and thus get into sticky situations... thus the username (superglue)user.
A little background info:

1. I got fed up with Microsoft about 2 years ago and switched to Linux. After using XP for years, I had gotten spoiled and decided it was time to get back a command line for some things so I would understand what was going on instead of relying on the pretty GUI.

2. About a year ago, I had a heck of a time rooting/flashing my android phone because it would never get into debug mode, only USB mass storage.

Now, I'm running into the same thing with my Craig 741d. I've even installed ADB on my wife's (Windows) laptop and tried from there...

The solution in rooting my phone came from a CWM download in "Update.zip" format, and flashing an already rooted CyanogenMod ROM from CWM (If I remember correctly, this was via flashimageGUI.apk)

What I don't remember is how I ran the flashimage program from CWM. I do know that I did the whole process via the microSD card and (after weeks of trying) never actually had to have the phone connected to the computer.

Now on to the 741d...
I did get my old copy of CWM (not touch) onto the Craig... I can boot into CMrecovery with the esc key held while power on, but the touchscreen navigation is iffy.

Since I had installed this as update.zip, and know it works, do you know how I can get the CWM touch in an update.zip format instead of the recovery.img... or an alternate way to do the installation of the files in your tutorial direct from the SDcard without having to rely on ADB... I haven't tried the RKUtils. Do you think that might be a solution to the device not being recognized by the computer?