un-installling apps ?

sandyb

Apr 19, 2011
Although I have had my GTAb for a while now I am currently at a loss on how to proceed.

I have installed a lot of programs from the market/ amazon market that were free, most of them I tried for a little while and then when I got bored with them uninstalled through " settings>applications" . But I recently installed the netfilx app on my gtab running TNT harmony and as others have indicated it was listed as not supported. I tried to install the netflix no device check APK, it said that it would replace the netflix apk and I consented, but it did not install. Both APK's were visible in ES file explorer in the downloaded folder. I figured no problem I will simply uninstall the no device check app but it is not listed in the list of applications. The things is, neither is the original netflix app which I am pretty sure was listed in the applications subfolder under settings before I tried to replace it.

The netflix icon is still on the home page and clicking on it I still get the " device not supported" but I cannot figure out how to uninstall it in the event I can get the no device check to load properly.

If the answer to this is posted somewhere I did not see it ( I did look). Thanks.

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
Have you tried looking in the Tab "All" under applications menu in setnigs? depending on how the apk intalled it it may be there...

if you have multiple install apk's i'd delete them all, re-download the specific one i wanted then reboot to make sure...

rgc6789

Apr 8, 2011
You can also use Titanium Backup to uninstall apps. This is a great app to have for a number of things.

sandyb

Apr 19, 2011
Thanks!!!! I had not thought of using it, now I can try and see if I can get Netflix working.

beastman

May 8, 2011
Get root explorer and install
Go to /system/build.prop
Mount as RW
Change the line that says
ro.product.manufacturer=malata
Change malata to HTC
BE SURE HTC IS UPPERCASE
exit and save
A backup will be created
You need to do this again after you flash a new rom
Reboot and enjoy netflix

Gotten from XDA but they had you change device name too, and I wanted to see about leaving device name alone

Sent from my GTablet using Android Tablet Forum with Netflix working

sandyb

Apr 19, 2011
I don't know what happened, titanium pro removed the apk for netflix, the next time i started it up i got a loop of launcher pro errors , everytime i hit force close another error message would appear. Even trying to power off was difficult, but when it restated i got the same errors.

I wanted to try a new rom and i didn't have anything irreplacable on it so i restored to 3588 and will go from here. Live and learn.

I know that it is too late but now but what should you do if you get repetitive launcher pro errors?

JoTeC

Apr 17, 2011
I don't know what happened, titanium pro removed the apk for netflix, the next time i started it up i got a loop of launcher pro errors , everytime i hit force close another error message would appear. Even trying to power off was difficult, but when it restated i got the same errors.

I wanted to try a new rom and i didn't have anything irreplacable on it so i restored to 3588 and will go from here. Live and learn.

I know that it is too late but now but what should you do if you get repetitive launcher pro errors?
Sandy, this happened to me when I first got my GTab and Rom'd and Root'd it. I don't know what caused it but it was sure unhappy after a few days. Like I said, I was new to Android so I'm sure it was something stupid I had done... ;) I found that I could push the search soft button on the right as it was in its circular FC mode and it would get me into the OS. I went from there to settings and applications and deselected LauncherPro as the default and switched to Launcher. From there I just started uninstalling my "upset" applications and began reinstalling them. Only happened once to me but I learned what to do to keep her happy...

sandyb

Apr 19, 2011
The first time it happened I thought nothing of it as the device has been rock solid since I got it up and running. Then it happened again and a third time and I figured I was hosed. If I wasn't so impulsive "try something! Anything !" I could have posted here and tried your fix. But alas that ship has sailed. It not like I had anything on there that can't be replaced, and I figure I might actually learn something. Or I might brick it, the over and under are pretty much the same.

I can rationalize it by telling myself I wanted to try another Rom anyways. I think I'm going to practice my nvflash chops before going forward in case I do something else stupid. I very much liked TNT G-harmony although there were a couple of things that bugged me a little and figure why not try another rom ?

One quick question, I have a couple of paid apps from the android market or the amazon android market. i know these are linked to a specific email address, are any of these apps tied to a specific Rom ? Or should I be able to load a different rom and then log in and hopefully be able to download the few apps ( including, ironically launcher pro) without having to pay again ?

rgc6789

Apr 8, 2011
They are tied to your google account so you will see the paid apps ready to download once you setup the next rom. Another nice advantage is that if you have an android phone and tablet you only gave to buy the app once and it will be available for both.

Sent from my gTablet running CM7.

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
They are tied to your google account so you will see the paid apps ready to download once you setup the next rom. Another nice advantage is that if you have an android phone and tablet you only gave to buy the app once and it will be available for both.

Sent from my gTablet running CM7.

This is only true if your tablet will accept the app.

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
Get root explorer and install
Go to /system/build.prop
Mount as RW
Change the line that says
ro.product.manufacturer=malata
Change malata to HTC
BE SURE HTC IS UPPERCASE
exit and save
A backup will be created
You need to do this again after you flash a new rom
Reboot and enjoy netflix

Gotten from XDA but they had you change device name too, and I wanted to see about leaving device name alone

Sent from my GTablet using Android Tablet Forum with Netflix working

There's a hacked netfix app that eliminates the device check.... you don't have to edit your build.prop file anymore... check out the thread under the Apps and Games header

JoTeC

Apr 17, 2011
The first time it happened I thought nothing of it as the device has been rock solid since I got it up and running. Then it happened again and a third time and I figured I was hosed. If I wasn't so impulsive "try something! Anything !" I could have posted here and tried your fix. But alas that ship has sailed. It not like I had anything on there that can't be replaced, and I figure I might actually learn something. Or I might brick it, the over and under are pretty much the same.

I can rationalize it by telling myself I wanted to try another Rom anyways. I think I'm going to practice my nvflash chops before going forward in case I do something else stupid. I very much liked TNT G-harmony although there were a couple of things that bugged me a little and figure why not try another rom ?

One quick question, I have a couple of paid apps from the android market or the amazon android market. i know these are linked to a specific email address, are any of these apps tied to a specific Rom ? Or should I be able to load a different rom and then log in and hopefully be able to download the few apps ( including, ironically launcher pro) without having to pay again ?

Yeah, I always feel the bug pushing me to try new ROMs and learn new things. I guess that's why we own GTabs and not iPads... ;) I have so much time and effort into my GTab right now getting it just right and just the way I like it, I am content for a while just tweaking my TNTL 4.4 with apps and settings. I do want to install HC once it becomes a little more complete and is ready for release... Let us know what ROM you go with and how it is working!

sandyb

Apr 19, 2011
That's what started the whole ordeal (although i don't know if it was the cause) but i could not get it to work with the g harmony rom. It. Could be that my gtab was already on the path to being hosed.

It looks like ( from my reading) that are getting netflix to work are running CM7, has anyone got it to work on vegantab gingerpread by either editing the prop file or using the no device check apk ?

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
did you do a re-boot before you tried to use the app.. it wouldn't work on my Droid X or my Archos 101 till i did it that way... I already have the build prop mod done on my gtab with cm7.0.3 or i'd give it a shot..

sandyb

Apr 19, 2011
Yeah, I always feel the bug pushing me to try new ROMs and learn new things. I guess that's why we own GTabs and not iPads... ;) !

I know you had a smiley and I'm not what anyone would call a fanboy but I really dislike when people use this false dichotomy. I have a GTab that I will have to rebuild and I have an IPAD. Both are fine machines that do things a little differently. A lot of times the one I pick up is decided simply by which is physically closer. For some things, the IPAD is better ( like iannotate, probably the best app available on the ipad) and for others the GTab is better.

Actually if I had not got the IPAD first (it was a gift) I probably would never have bought the Gtab because at the time I was unconvinced that this tablet Fad had any legs. After using the IPAD it became clear how wrong I was.

sorry if this comes off as a rant.