Unbrick or update Coby Kyros 7024 with gingerbread firmware...!!!!

Was this help full?

• Total voters

cuida

Jul 22, 2011
guise, the 7024 firmware is already on the coby site available... which it would be, it is really an update or just the original default rom? I can't find out now, have to wait get home to see

Slk696

Sep 6, 2011
I download the update for the 7024 from coby page. But I have a problem when I put the files inside of it. Zip to the micro sd and I try to update. Dog appears on the screen not find update and upgrade from internal micro SD. Anyone know what could it be?

flxrms

Developer
Mar 23, 2011
ehh..what dog? i just tried the official 7024 firmware and theres no problem..working properly

Pablocr

Jul 3, 2011
AWESOME so, finally an official update, now I wonder if they do it because our harassment or if they had it planeed :p

Well never mind, now the really smart guys like flxrms habe a solid base to work their magic!

Pablocr

Jul 3, 2011
Should we send emails to coby and let me know the picture of the tablet in the update guide is NOT and 7024? hahahahaha

also I love this:

Using the Computer, Copy the content from the MID8024.zip folder into the MicroSD card root
directory.

Last edited:

flxrms

Developer
Mar 23, 2011
Should we send emails to coby and let me know the picture of the tablet in the update guide is NOT and 7024? hahahahaha

also I love this:

Using the Computer, Copy the content from the MID8024.zip folder into the MicroSD card root
directory.

hehe you also downloaded the pdf instructions hehe :p

Arlic

May 13, 2011
Hey Arlic, was there anything else you did besides those steps? I have the exact same problem but I followed the steps to the letter but my tablet still continues to just turn on the soft lights for a few moments then turn off
Go to page #50 of this thread and look at article #495. Its a link to the SLATEDROID site that has a "HARD" recovery that will work when the regular simple HOME/POWER one won't work. Just download the 3 files and follow the steps. Don't forget you have a NAND chip. You need the HP USB format tool because the regular Windows format doesn't work. That is all. My MID8024 was "toast", didn't do nil, until I followed the steps. Also, the 1st thing my tablet did was turn all white. I didn't care, because any sign was better then none. I just let the recovery thing do its thing and wait until the thing shut off. Dumped the Original Coby ROM on the SD card and did the recovery thing agian. Of coarse, the screen was still white(who cares the "good" ROM wasn't in memory yet) and the recovery thing did its job and shut the Coby off again.

The rest is history. Cool. :))

BTW, I installed the ROM "CFW-MID7024-V4-C8lean_v0.41.rar" by "flxrms" on the MID8024 and it works, so far. Don't like the "green" battery icon, to me its hard to see the number inside it. The FONT is ok, but the resolution is a bit high. I can see the pixels on the screen, I can't on my Ipod Touch(2nd gen). Of coarse, I could see the pixels on the Coby with the original ROM. BTW, I have 14.67GB free in the (NAND memory)SD card storage settings, 423MB in Internal device storage, and 2.92GB on the SD card. Is this good or bad. I did switch the internal 4G card with my 16G Patriot card. I also didn't format the 4G internal card, yet.

What benefits are there in doing this, or should I just put the 4G Sandisk back into the Coby???

Just wondering.....

Bye...
ToM

flxrms

Developer
Mar 23, 2011
@arlic
:) you can actually cook your own theme :) i kinda like green but made a mistake of using white numbe with green background :p but yeah..i just realise i cant see properly the fonts... need to change it to different one.

btw
my new mod now have 1gig for Internal device(for applications) instead of default 423mb

you should use a 16gb mbr so you can fully utilize your 16gb microsd card...there's a thread on the other site how to do that.

Last edited:

Slk696

Sep 6, 2011
I download the official update for the 7024 from coby page. But I have a problem when I put the files inside of it. Zip to the micro sd and I try to update. But appears on the screen not find any update and upgrade from internal micro SD. Anyone know what could it be?

permansu

Jun 13, 2011
@arlic
:) you can actually cook your own theme :) i kinda like green but made a mistake of using white numbe with green background :p but yeah..i just realise i cant see properly the fonts... need to change it to different one.

btw
my new mod now have 1gig for Internal device(for applications) instead of default 423mb

you should use a 16gb mbr so you can fully utilize your 16gb microsd card...there's a thread on the other site how to do that.

HI flxrms: I am very interested in changing the internal card for a 16 gb. I don't know how to do it, and I can't find the thread you refer. Can you tell me where is it? Thanks.

cuida

Jul 22, 2011
I tried testing the C8lean meshed and got my 7024 bricked, I also tried the Slatedroid solution but it does not recover, it stays the buttons lit about 7 seconds and don't power on... is there something else that can do to restore?

Arlic

May 13, 2011
Ok, I bricked my Coby MID8024.....AGAIN. :-(( Yep, while tring one of the gingerbread roms. I know, that's DUMB. :_( Anyway, I tried to get it up and running again, like I did the 1st time at this SlateDroid site with the "Reviving your tablet in windows." thread and still can't get it to work now. I must be doing something.... little...that I did the 1st time I'm not doing now. Also, it seems that others have tried this "procedure" with the same result, it doesn't work now. :-((
So, I would like to find out some "tiny" details if anyone knows them.

1)When you format the "RAW" partion on the microSD card under the "Disk Management" program do you change the Volume label?? I think it defaults to "New Volume", but I remenber it being "sdcard" or something else before. Does it really matter??

2)Does the internal card have to be 4GB, or could you put in a 8GB, 16GB, whatever card?? Of coarse, I mean if your Coby is "bricked", I don't think it matters if the tablet is operating normally. And, it would make it easier to leave your tablet "closed" because its a dirty job tring to pry it open without damaging it.

3)What is the internal card formated in?? Linux, Mac, FAT32, unknown, or does it really matter. By trying to get this thing back on-line I must have formated this thing with Ubuntu, HP USB format tool, "Disk Management" , WinImage, whatever a hundred times by now.

4)How many partions are on the original internal microSD card?? I would assume(ha ha)that the external one is just FAT32, so thats a given. When I use the WinImage program I sometimes get more the 4 partions, does this really matter? I have read other users on the SlateDroid site that have copied the ROM files into a different partion then the one in the "Reviving your tablet in windows" thread.

If, we can pin down some of the basics of recovering the Coby tablet then maybe we can jot down a guide that will actually help others to resurrect a tablet that is bricked, instead of just telling others to "follow these steps over and over and over ........AGAIN with the same result."

No offense to any members that helped me the 1st time my Coby was bricked, their info. was on the mark 100% accurate because it worked. Its just that the situation has changed and the same steps/precedures/hardware/microSD/etc. that I followed the 1st time aren't working now. :-((

Its something simple...I just haven't found it yet.

Any info, comments, suggestions, or whatever would be very appreciated.

BTW, it seems that any "Gingerbread" ROMS should be avoided at all costs unless you are a Android Programmer. Of all the ROMS I have tried the "Gingerbread" ones seem to have a very high chance of killing the recovery mode in the Coby. And without the recovery mode it makes it harder, MUCH harder to "flash" a good one.

Bye...
Arlic

flxrms

Developer
Mar 23, 2011
I actually use gingerbread version of C8lean, phoenix and evolution mods for testing but i never encounter brcking problems.

The only thing that keeps me using away from 2.3 is the non working volume hardware button. But the evo mod for me only have 2 problem the rotation and volume hardware button not working.

Where did you get that 2.3 mod?

Sent from my Coby Kyros 7024