Understanding 'Sync' And How To Comprehend This Mess...?

Varney

Jul 25, 2014
It wasn't until I realised that Facebook was 'syncing images' that I gained my suspicions as to what is going on with my Samsung Galaxy tablet (GT-N8010) with regards to Facebook. Basically, I can find no way to either delete, move or save images in my Facebook photo albums. The tablet has somehow downloaded all of my images from Facebook and organised them into albums, which I can neither save, move, upload nor delete from the device and they will not show up in file management. Neither in the stock file manager, nor a third party one I installed, (ES File Browser). I have not had the tablet long (couple of days) and already, I'm totally confused by whats going on.

So I found out how to turn off syncing, both on Facebook and through the Android Gallery options. I also took some advice from a friend and cleared the Gallery's cache and data from inside the application settings - though this has not helped at all. As soon as I open the Gallery again, these images start populating again on my device. Now I appear to have a whole bunch of folders from Facebook on my device, which now won't even open, so are therefore completely useless to me. I cant download anything from my Facebook albums so I appear stuck.

I feel I need to go to basic school for Android, as there are so many messy, loose ends which I can't seem to fathom. As an ex-Windows user, I'm used to knowing where everything is stored and I organise methodically. I havent even explored Dropbox yet.

I would welcome any suggestions on how to delete these files from the device and how to take control of my own photos on Facebook.

Regards
V

Last edited:

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

Though I don't use FB on my tablet I think you should go to settings - account and check the options there for the syncing on the FB account. You can also go to settings - app manager - all and find the Gallery app annd clear the cache there.

Varney

Jul 25, 2014
Thanks, but I have tried all of those measures, as mentioned in my post... hence the reason for resorting to this forum for extra advice.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
You are missing something somewhere. The problem is an app setting, not the tablet. If you do a factory reset and allow it to auto install the apps again you could recreate the problem. The way you explained it there just aren't a whole lot of other reasons.

Varney

Jul 25, 2014
You are missing something somewhere. The problem is an app setting, not the tablet. If you do a factory reset and allow it to auto install the apps again you could recreate the problem. The way you explained it there just aren't a whole lot of other reasons.

Yeah, I know this. Obviously I'm missing something in the app settings - which is why Im here, asking if anyone has any idea what it is that I could be missing...

As I said earlier, I tried clearing the app's data and reset.... and the images simply repopulate.

Last edited:

Varney

Jul 25, 2014
can you change the settings for the app?

Do you mean "Can I" or "Will it let me" change settings? The answer to both would be YES. The question is whether there's a setting I've missed. I've tried disabling sync and removing the data.

Last edited: