Uploading files onto web site

stod

Mar 9, 2012
I receive files attached to my email (they are actually pdf files) and I have already found that I can use Mail Droid to save this onto my tablet. However, when I try to upload this file onto my web site (this is a particular web site where I can upload files onto the web site and uses the php function "copy") it reports that there is no file specified.

Can anyone explain why this is the case and how to resolve please?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I'm not certain I understand what you are doing. Are you first saving the file then trying to upload the file to the site. If so, what app are you using to do that?

stod

Mar 9, 2012
Okay, to clarify. When I am away from home, people send me emails with attached pdf files. On my laptop I simply save the attachment on the laptop. Then I use "a restricted part" of my web site to upload that file onto the web site to update the web site. There is no "app" or "program". Simply the php code in the "restricted part" of the web site (restricted obviously as I don't want everyone modifying the web site). I simply use a Form, find the file, and upload it. Works fine on PC and laptop (Windows systems). But not on the tablet. I have built a test bed and tried to simplify the process so that the first web page (bog standard html web page with Form) I select the file, and then it passes the file name to the second page (a php coded page) and simply displays the file name. Works fine on the PC and laptop but not on the Tablet.

stod

Mar 9, 2012
Okay, here is a link to the test bed. Upload prep. Simply select any file (doesn't have to be pdf) on your PC/laptop and hit upload. This will load a new page with the filename displayed. Try it on the tablet and the filename is blank. i.e. it is not passing the Form parameters from one page to the next.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
So, I guess you are using a browser. I also assume that you can see the browse button and can click it to browse for the file. Since it appears not to require FTP or any other helper app to upload, if all my guesses are correct I would try a different browser. I didn't actually try it on my tablet as it's on loan at the moment but that's the only thing I can think of.

stod

Mar 9, 2012
Thanks leeshor. Yes, I am using the browser. On the PC/laptop I can use a variety of browsers (IE, Avant. Firefox, Chrome, Safari etc) with no problems. On the tablet I have tried normal browser (can't remember without switching it on) and Dolphin but without success.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Thanks leeshor. Yes, I am using the browser. On the PC/laptop I can use a variety of browsers (IE, Avant. Firefox, Chrome, Safari etc) with no problems. On the tablet I have tried normal browser (can't remember without switching it on) and Dolphin but without success.

I'm a little surprised Dolphin Browser didn't work. Whatever browser you use do make certain it is set to desktop mode. That may make a difference. In the mean time, try Chrome or Boat Browser.

genterminl

Aug 29, 2012
I just tried it from my Freelander PD20 using Firefox, and it showed the file name just fine. I also think I have the desktop setting off, not on.

stod

Mar 9, 2012
Interesting. I tried it with the normal browser (not sure which one; how do you find out?) and it didn't work. Tried Dolphin browser and this didn't work either. Then tried Opera Mini and it works!!!!

So, why should some php code work in one browser and not another?

and how do you set desktop mode please?

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Not all browsers interpret the code the same. My company coded a bunch of our internal sites for IE6 code. Did not work with IE5, IE7, IE8, Firefox, Safari, Chrome, etc.

Opera Mini cannot be changed from desktop mode, but Opera Mobile can. It is in Settings somewhere, it is pretty obvious (something like User Agent or Browsing Mode). Same in Dolphin Browser.