Using as a phone and a couple thoughts on the device

hhsader

Jan 20, 2011
So I just wanted to say right off the bat, I love this shiny little toy. I have a few complaints and a few questions but overall its pretty slick. This is my second s7 already the first had a bad terminal where my charger plugged in and quit getting juice after a couple weeks.

So 2.2, ugh best buy got me with that one but whatever. Hopefully somebody can help me move some apps to sd and get me some netflix eventually and I'll be happy. I want to use this prepaid and I only really need minutes and data, so as much input as possible on that would be great.

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
So 2.2, ugh best buy got me with that one but whatever. Hopefully somebody can help me move some apps to sd and get me some netflix eventually and I'll be happy. I want to use this prepaid and I only really need minutes and data, so as much input as possible on that would be great.

Yep, we are all anxiously awaiting 2.2. The good news (at least that is how I am seeing it) is that they have released the capacitive version with 2.1 also, which should increase the pressure to get 2.2 out to all of us. The Netflix app isn't out for Android yet, but also should be coming this quarter.

Finally, there is a whole thread on App2SD, which will allow you to move your apps.

Cheers,
P

ebarcus

Jan 13, 2011
On the topic of using the S7 as a phone, I use my S7 as a phone only while hooked up to wifi with a combination of sipgate, CSipSimple(market app) and google voice, really simple, cheap, and if you brick your S7 you can use your minuites on any ip device :D (might do a write up on how i do this) :fingers crossed: 2.2 might not be so far away!

me4tux

Nov 24, 2010
On the topic of using the S7 as a phone, I use my S7 as a phone only while hooked up to wifi with a combination of sipgate, CSipSimple(market app) and google voice, really simple, cheap, and if you brick your S7 you can use your minuites on any ip device :D (might do a write up on how i do this) :fingers crossed: 2.2 might not be so far away!

hi, can you describe the use of the S7 as a regular cellphone? What is the voice quality like? I presume there is a speaker and a mic located on the device?

I know it is a "big phone" to hold up to the face, assuming that is how it should be used... but can you describe:

1. the locations of the mic/ear speaker - does it work well, quality?
2. signal reception - do you get frequent drop out?
3. If you use bluetooth earpiece, is there a speech recognition function to voice dial, voice navigate on the S7 ?

Thanks!

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
I have used mine as a phone, yes there is a built-in mic and speaker, but I use it with my BT headset. Signal reception is excellent compared to other devices, but of course depends on overall coverage. Speech recognition is hit-or-miss in my experience, although i am hoping for better results when we go to 2.2

me4tux

Nov 24, 2010
I have used mine as a phone, yes there is a built-in mic and speaker, but I use it with my BT headset. Signal reception is excellent compared to other devices, but of course depends on overall coverage. Speech recognition is hit-or-miss in my experience, although i am hoping for better results when we go to 2.2

Thanks for your observations Peter.

I suppose a large device such as the S7 allows a larger antenna anyways which helps for better reception.

Errr, have you ever held it up to your face like a "big phone", and is the ear speaker, and the mic positioned on the device in areas where it's ideal? Or the mic is on one end, and the speaker is on the other tip way end of the device.... haha!

Sorry for the useability questions, I forgot to check that out when I looked at it the last time at Best Buy in in person.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Not so much like a traditional phone where you hold it to your ear and mouth, but I have caught myself holding it and talking at it. The call come through the speaker if you do not have a BT or headphone connected, so it is like a speakerphone. Very clear and loud though.

kevmueller

Dec 7, 2010
+1 on the speaker phone. I don't have a it set up with a carrier, just using WiFi and NetTalk. Had a meeting at work and the speaker phone was not working, fired up the WiFi and made the call and it worked great, they could hear us just fine and the sound on our end was great. Since I have a really good phone, this is just a huge bonus to me to have.

sopranosv

Nov 22, 2010
+1 on the speaker phone. I don't have a it set up with a carrier, just using WiFi and NetTalk. Had a meeting at work and the speaker phone was not working, fired up the WiFi and made the call and it worked great, they could hear us just fine and the sound on our end was great. Since I have a really good phone, this is just a huge bonus to me to have.

Just adding to your comment, after just a week off having my S7, my blackberry died (it got into a comma state really) and on my way out to the local phone company my boss just told me "just remember to take the conf. call"...so I insert my bberry sim into my S7, set my plantronics bluetooth and voila, took the conference call...not my primarily phone, but great substitute for specific things...

Sent from my Huawei Ideos S7

me4tux

Nov 24, 2010
Not so much like a traditional phone where you hold it to your ear and mouth, but I have caught myself holding it and talking at it. The call come through the speaker if you do not have a BT or headphone connected, so it is like a speakerphone. Very clear and loud though.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in on their observations! It will be nice to wait for the Froyo and Capacitive S7 then! :)

florida pete

Feb 10, 2011
Hi Kev

I have installed Nettalk andopened Anacount with them
when I use nettallk on my S7 All it does is ring And never conects
What Am I doing wrong?

Was there some other setting I have to change?

Regards pete

kevmueller

Dec 7, 2010
Are you trying to call by using a contact, or dialing the number? I have had problems when I try and dial from contacts of it not actually calling out. However if you dial the actual number I have not had any problems with it working.

berrylthird

May 8, 2011
My question is: CAN you use it like a "big phone"? i.e.; Does it only work as a speakerphone? Or is there a speakerphone mode? I, for one, would consider buying one if I had the option to hold it to my face like a big phone. I don't want anyone nearby to overhear my conversations, though.

I'm weird like that: I actually LIKE the idea of holding a gargantuan screen to the side of my face! :p