Very Large Book Collections

InterPunct

Jan 9, 2011
Has anyone else had an issue with very large book collections? I loaded up my nook color with >2K epub files and it seems to bring it to its knees. Any workarounds other than not loading up so many books?

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
I have mine in PDB, PRC and Txt as well as EPUB. I found it easier to not fully load all my books. I have discovered the same on my A81. It would get doggish if I had more than 1K. I cull and prioritize as a full e-library is nice, I recognize, i cannot be reading all of my books at the same time.
I do understand and sympathize. I have sorted by type, and use different readers depending upon type. Some handle a format better than others.

InterPunct

Jan 9, 2011
It was to the SD Card. I had a slower 1GB that I switched to a faster 4GB. Sorry for the noob question, but when I mount the drive to my computer with the USB cable, can I drop the files to internal storage? I'm assuming that may be faster.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
It was to the SD Card. I had a slower 1GB that I switched to a faster 4GB. Sorry for the noob question, but when I mount the drive to my computer with the USB cable, can I drop the files to internal storage? I'm assuming that may be faster.

Yes and yes. When you plug your NC up to you pc, it will mount both internal storage as a drive and your installed SD card as a drive. I would split your collection of books as equally as possible. Place your books in internal storage:/My files/Books

I'm not entirely sure it will make things faster, but it should help out a lot. Try to left at least 25% of your internal storage free, around 1GB. That will give your internal storage room to breath (room for application cache that grows and shrinks during daily use).

Untitled20-1.png

Untitled21.png

dc5e506a.png

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
@InterPunct

Any update on your performance, splitting your collection up between internal storage and your SD card?

Sent from my HTC Evo using Android Tablets Forum App

Jan 15, 2011
have a 16gb sd (class 4) with about 800 books epub/txt and it does the "wait or force close" alot on me. Wondering if overclocking would help it out a little?

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Overclocking won't help but redistribution might. The problem with a large number of files on a SD card has more to do with file format and directory count than device speed and sd card class (speed). Our SD cards are formatted fat32 which has a character count limit of something like ~60k, I think. So your books title character count times how many books you have in one folder are a lot for the file system to handle. Keep in mind, that explanation may not be the whole story in our (NC owners) case, but I think it has a good bit to do with this issue.

A good solution may be split your books up into more folders.