WE BEAT THE Huawei!!!!!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Darn right it is! That is steady growth all the way back to the end of January. You wonder when this thing is going to start getting more attention main stream. Every now and then you hear a peep but it is hardly mentioned with the likes of iPads or upcoming android tablets or even the kindle. They all have had their hey day in the news but the Nook is quitely selling thousands and thousands. :D

-JP
(I thought I'd already posted a response, but don't see it...darn phone...)

What really grabbed my attention was that growth has been linear since almost the beginning. I'm particularly impressed that it's held pretty much constant over the last month. From a statistical perspective, I don't see any indication that we've hit the top and are starting to slow down.

Another strong impression I have (JP you're right) is that androidtablets probably has some very serious user data (I think I mentioned that to Steve or Vic a while back). If I were a manufacturer, I'd pay some Google engineers to figure out how to mine the site, and squeeze out all the wonderful marketing (and development!) data that are just sitting here quietly minding their own business.

(Next part is TOTALLY optional read! LOL)

Now time for the doom-and-gloom forecast: anybody know what's up with 2.2? I haven't heard anything about it in ages. It's kind of incredible that none of us are pissed off (NOBODY thought March would come and go without some Froyo). But I think we're not mad because we've got so many nice ROMs to keep us busy. I think that tells us something important about B&N's business model. I still can't explain why they developed such a beautiful, compact, elegant tablet (YES, TABLET!...somebody say eReader and I'll REALLY rant!) but won't bend their model a little bit to welcome and encourage "flexible uses." (I guess they are absolutely terrified of Apple and Amazon, and feel frozen in their tracks. If this is their eBook ticket, they probably can't imagine seeing it in another light.) I just don't think B&N--on this round, anyway--has the mobility and foresight to market their device more like an Android tablet.

What I haven't seen discussed anywhere--and what gets the hair on the back of my neck to stand up--is what's coming later this year? Whatever B&N's developers have designed for their next product cycle...modest improvements, total reboot, abandoning the project...it's being built now and it's coming and my bet is that the beauties we have in our paws will be forever one-of-a-kinds. I don't think we'll see anything this good and this affordable again soon.

-Matt

Last edited:

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
...it's being built now and it's coming and my bet is that the beauties we have in our paws will be forever one-of-a-kinds. I don't think we'll see anything this good and this affordable again soon.

-Matt

and that is why I bought the extended warranty! :D

2.2 will most likely be here next month (all indications from several sites are pointing to this)

I wouldn't doubt for a second that Google has someone devoted to mining this site, and sites just like it (although not nearly as awesome as ours)

and I think that B&N should have a team of people seeing what real users are doing with the gem they created, and learning from us on how to make it better.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Hope I'm invited to the party, ,,let's have a drink with Matt, whom I already saw on his new tablet forum... ,sei un traditore!. Yes you are a traitor Matt and the guys here are so nice that they congratulate you on your new purchase. I personally can forgive you only if you'll borrow the nook from your wife one more time and set the screen, take a screenshot and post it on my thread : - just SCREENSHOTS-
eh eh
Gloria

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Hope I'm invited to the party, ,,let's have a drink with Matt, whom I already saw on his new tablet forum... ,sei un traditore!. Yes you are a traitor Matt and the guys here are so nice that they congratulate you on your new purchase. I personally can forgive you only if you'll borrow the nook from your wife one more time and set the screen, take a screenshot and post it on my thread : - just SCREENSHOTS-
eh eh
Gloria

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App
Ciao Gloria! No problem, I'm sure I can borrow my wife's Nook for a few minutes! :)

-Matt

Big_Jim

Mar 16, 2011
Samsung and Motorola will eventually pwn all.

Deal_with_it_dog_gif.gif

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Hey Jim, I appreciate the size of those cojones but nobody is getting pwnd at $500 or $600. Bring Samsung and Motorola's price-points down to $250 and we'll talk!

-matt

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Yes Samsung and Motorola are behind the game with their Ridiculous pricing. They don't offer the same as a comparable $600 laptop would. The new galaxy tab is suppose to be cheaper, but is still going to be expensive. $300 or less is what a tablet should be priced at as the Android OS and iOS is not mature enough to warrant laptop grade pricing.

And yes they are mining these sites definitely. Someone from B&N popped in over at XDA a while back to comment on the status of B&N as a company. I know Motorola and Verizon are around other forums too.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Hey Steve. :) I think yours and Vic's comments about "mining" are pointed in a slightly different direction. I assume you guys are referring to things like "user satisfaction" comments, tips and tricks, upgrades, ROMS, etc. I was thinking a little more on the "darker" side, kind of like "tracking cookies". For this to work, the data miner would probably need to scan and cache the entire site daily, and monitor things like:

- number of existing/new users
- number of posts per user, threads posted in
- number of positive/negative posts

On that last point, I met a guy from the CDC who is doing that in regards to...believe it or not...breast cancer in women. What he's particularly interested in is how worldwide blog posts change over time, reflecting the effectiveness of breast cancer awareness ads. This is like how Google looks at search queries to map the spread of flu and other illnesses.

Another strategy (if I were mining) would be to simply ASK: "Can we have your activity logs? We are company XXX and we sell product YYY, and we are interested in how the product is being discussed and used by your forum members." I guess that's not happening, since I assume something like that would appear in the registration form.

My point is--under the surface that we users can see--there is a lot of INTERESTING data! :) And data = $$$. But: do no evil!

-Matt

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Yep, it is all about the performance to price ratio. All the other companies thinking they can charge Apple prices is a mistake especially when running cobled together phone OS as a primary tablet interface (come on Google, since you are reading this, hurry up with honeycomb or icecream or whatever and get a tablet OS out there in the open!) and only performing as well as the little Nook.

As is usually the case the corresponding Apple-copy tech needs to be priced lower. Obviously $250 is a great price and nooks are flying off selves but the others probably need to find a sweeter spot between $300 and $600. I don't know too many people willing to pay more than that for tablets with current specs at this point. Look how many people are out there searching for the best cheap tablet, not just the best tablet. Just look at the most active forums here.

Last edited:

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Hey guys whats : ) The darker side of data mining...facebook is excellent at doing that lol. B&N should get one of the facebook miners to work for them. Its pretty interesting how companies gather data these days though.

Yea Google definetly needs a solid tablet OS. Something even a step above HC I'd say.

Matt let us know how about the gtab when you get it. I am interested in what that dual core processor can do.

sent from my rooted nook color

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Hey guys whats : ) The darker side of data mining...facebook is excellent at doing that lol. B&N should get one of the facebook miners to work for them. Its pretty interesting how companies gather data these days though.

Yea Google definetly needs a solid tablet OS. Something even a step above HC I'd say.

Matt let us know how about the gtab when you get it. I am interested in what that dual core processor can do.

sent from my rooted nook color
Steve, it'll be here on Wednesday. Probably will wait until this weekend to root and ROM. The catch, though, is I looked around and I can't tell if the current ROMs (actually, kernels) use both cores. I've scanned both this sight (no info) and XDA (very little discussion) and can't find anything since about January. So I'm not really sure at this point that it will run both cores once modified.

Maybe if Peter is tuned in, he can straighten this mystery out!

-Matt

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Yea I think you're right. Idk think android based kernels are optimized for dual core yet, but they should be soon hopefully. It will probably still be pretty snappy.

Sent from my fascinate

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Yea I think you're right. Idk think android based kernels are optimized for dual core yet, but they should be soon hopefully. It will probably still be pretty snappy.

Sent from my fascinate
So do you think that means pretty much any dual core tablet out there (Xoom) is running single core? Or maybe it's only dual-core with the manufacturer's kernel...? It's a bit of a surprise (what I mean is, "disappointment"!).

-Matt

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Well we know Google is looking at everything we do. Just go to gmail and have an email conversation with someone about a specific topic.

For instance: I am looking to make a move to Las Vegas (actually in the planning stages right now) and am having a conversation with an old friend that lives there. Most every single ad on my gmail page is about Vegas in some regard, moving quotes, job searches, rentals, homebuying, etc.