what cpu

mindwave

Jul 6, 2010
Tipster,

In the general hybrid description you list the cpu at 800MHZ but dont say what the cpu is.

is that an unknown quantity?

I have the GT78 and like it a lot, but this seems to be getting some good pressto

cutterjohn

Aug 23, 2010
Samsung s3c6410...

basically same class as the Telechips TCC8902 in the GT, but with a poorer hw video codec, and, apparently, a hw bug in the 1st version hw released that causes stuttering in later firmware releases....

from what I gather video was OKish up to the July 24th fw, after which the "v1" white PDN hw exhibited "stuttering" every c. 5s in video playback, so it should be possible to work around it via software...

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Tipster,

In the general hybrid description you list the cpu at 800MHZ but dont say what the cpu is.

is that an unknown quantity?

I have the GT78 and like it a lot, but this seems to be getting some good pressto

Mine is set to 800MHz max / 400MHz min on Performance using SetCPU. MOD Rooted was originally set to 800MHz max / 266MHz min kept on flip/flop but not anymore.

Gentouch 78 was only 600MHz even with the last Rooted ROM it was only 660MHz at best. THose Telechips are really 600MHz (oc to 660MHz range 720MHz max) Samsung that's in PDN is max at 800MHz out of the box but it too flip/flop with the speed. So you need the rooted ROMs or MOD Rooted (best speed) to keep it locked at 800MHz.

Darkseider

Oct 19, 2010
Personally I would go with the Freescale IMX515 based Cortex A8 tablets or any of the upcoming Archos A8 based tablets. If you are looking for more performance the Tegra 2 250 tablets like the Elocity A7, Notion Ink Adam and Toshiba Folio would be the better fit.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
It's really a good deal if you purchase this tablet at Kolh's when the coupons and % off is higher. As I got my second PDN for only $84.99!

Sent via Pandigital Novel / Tablet Hybrid #1

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Personally I would go with the Freescale IMX515 based Cortex A8 tablets or any of the upcoming Archos A8 based tablets. If you are looking for more performance the Tegra 2 250 tablets like the Elocity A7, Notion Ink Adam and Toshiba Folio would be the better fit.

I would suggest to give the PDN a try and see if you like it or not. Both Bed Bath & Beyond and Kohl's have some very good return policies that go beyond a few years. I've asked and sure enough it's open. Still for the money you get something good. Now I am talking about the White PDN not the Black one in this case. This can unit can hold 64GB of Storage with dual 32GB chips. Nothing either have that much storage except for the iPad.

mindwave

Jul 6, 2010
see if this were for ME i could see going with one of the more expensive ones.

but as my brother is just a "closet" techie and has never even expressed an interest in one, but i KNOW he owuld like an e-reader, thast why I thought the PD would be the best bet

personally I like the GT78 I got my wife and the ZT180 I use is awesome, but both of those are considerably more $ than the PD

j

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010

but as my brother is just a "closet" techie and has never even expressed an interest in one, but i KNOW he owuld like an e-reader, thast why I thought the PD would be the best bet

personally I like the GT78 I got my wife and the ZT180 I use is awesome, but both of those are considerably more $ than the PD

j

Well I had the GT78 and gone through all the it's features, and add more info on this site and here and here before returning it for full refund, Gentouch78 panel did me in with stuck pixel and very bright back-light bleed, microSD issue. These things. But ePad that I had ordered from China although slower, but now rooted over clocked and sub over clocked can watch movies, music videos do a lot with it. That was cheap but the panel is excellent and very detail 16.9 @ 600x480. PDN starts at a novel e-reader but when you Rooted either ROM or MOD got tablet hybrid out it. The Home back and menu buttons are not really hardware buttons they're on the OSD. MOD Rooted one uses hardware but it doesn't have home key so the volume up/down is use to navigate around, Rooted ROM Cruz has the OSD (onscreen) Looks cool. With this model you have to get PCB v2 White as that one doesn't have issues with video delay pause. If you do get one with video delay would be best to take it back to the store and get another one or head get one from Walgreen's online or Kohl's. If you want to keep that v1 then you can use MOD rooted to fix the the issue.

PDN is 800x600 @ 4:3 design for viewing books, but internet browsing has you can see the more info.

cutterjohn

Aug 23, 2010

j

For "pure" ereader use I'd suggest looking at something with e-Ink like the Nook, especially if your brother MIGHT use it in brightly lit/sunny areas as color LCD screens wash out in such condition and are, therefore, terribly difficult to see what is on the screen.

Drawback would be the 6" e-Ink eReaders do not handle complexly formatted PDFs well at all, and AFAIK noone has discovered a useful set of conversion tools that properly preserves the PDF's original format(complex) when converted to another format, e.g. HTML, EPUB, etc. Simple formatted PDFs(e.g. single column book) are directly readable and readily convertible to other formats with little problems. So IF complex PDFs are important, the WPDN MAY be a better choice, but my personal preference is eInk for a pure reader.

eInk drawback again, is that none of them have worthwhile builtin lighting solutions(VAST majority do not even have builtin lighting), and personally, I haven't found a decent aftermarket lighting system either which in my case means that is poorly lit/dark conditions that I require a lamp or some other decent source of lighting. This isn't a problem for most color LCD screens as they currently all rely on backlighting, which makes them perfect for use in such conditions.

mindwave

Jul 6, 2010
cutter

youve always had good ideas and been helpful, unfortunately my bro isnt like most of us, he was reccently paralyzed and spends much of his time in a hospital or in his room.

at 55 he's not quite ready to greet the world yet

he has a good broadband connection, but since he cant feel his legs he's always afraid his netbook will slip off his lap, and his PC broadband connection is in another room.

This is mostly a "toy" that he can read books on.

thanks

j

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
If that's the case you might want to look at the PDN black as the PDN white is heavy. PDN with all the mod and rooting just makes it into PC but touch screen. PanDigital has a new Novel for e-reading a 6" is not available.

croppedPandigital_Novel_6-inch_ePaper_eReader_1.jpg

PDN 6" 800x600 @ 4:3 has No color, but you can get on the internet, listen to music, watch videos and read books. Oh by the way the PDN Color can run Adobe PDF Reader, or doc to go which you can view MS Office Word, Excel and Powerpoint on your PDN.

mindwave

Jul 6, 2010
I'd like him to have the "open ness" of the "root" android in case he DOES want to get ambitious and start poking around.

at one time he was quite a good programmer, of course thats when you could have a full "gui" experience by booting from 2 1.2MB floppies

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
I'd like him to have the "open ness" of the "root" android in case he DOES want to get ambitious and start poking around.

at one time he was quite a good programmer, of course thats when you could have a full "gui" experience by booting from 2 1.2MB floppies

Those media are dead unless you have some boxes never open and a device to use them on. Over the weekend HSN and QVC was going at it with Novel and HSN had the Coby line of Tablets. But not only them have tablets coming out. Pioneer, Onkyo, Panasonic, Sharp, Cisco an more. Lots of choices and prices.

cutterjohn

Aug 23, 2010

Since he's only likely to use it in LCD display friendly lighting situations, may as well get him one of these... hard to beat the price if you can swing 20% off @ Bed Bath & Beyond or 30% + sale @ Kohls..

Read somewhere the other day that Walgreen's might be going to carry one of the lowend tablets(VIA WM8505 based) for $99, like tipstir's ePad...