What do you use to clean your Nook Color?

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
I typically use lens cleaning solution for eyeglasses...either the spray bottle or the handy wipes. the spray bottle typically comes with a microfiber cloth.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
...and I clean my screen 3-5 times a day...fingerprints and smudges drive me crazy!

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
I typically use lens cleaning solution for eyeglasses...either the spray bottle or the handy wipes. the spray bottle typically comes with a microfiber cloth.

Being someone who (so far) is blessed to not need glasses, I have no idea where to get these and the wipes seem like a more portable and simple solution. Do you recommend a brand, etc?

markiej

Dec 22, 2010
I use a cheap microfiber cloth, and dip a tiny bit of tap water on one corner (2-3 drops). After 30 seconds of vigorous rubbing (mostly with dry part of the cloth) and it looks brand new. Works on screen and the shiny part where the "n" is. Please feel free to let me know whether that little bit of tap water is causing damage to the surface. Seems ok, but what do I know.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
I use a cheap microfiber cloth, and dip a tiny bit of tap water on one corner (2-3 drops). After 30 seconds of vigorous rubbing (mostly with dry part of the cloth) and it looks brand new. Works on screen and the shiny part where the "n" is. Please feel free to let me know whether that little bit of tap water is causing damage to the surface. Seems ok, but what do I know.

Well, you live in Boston so we'll give you some leeway... :O

I haven't heard that water is "bad" but that other solutions are supposedly better. no personal experience yet.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Being someone who (so far) is blessed to not need glasses, I have no idea where to get these and the wipes seem like a more portable and simple solution. Do you recommend a brand, etc?

The handy wipes and the spray are typically in the eyecare section of grocery stores and Walmart's...usually somewhere around the pharmacy...you could also get it at something like a CVS or Walgreen's

I really don't have a favorite brand...they all work about the same...I just know that the wipes and spray are formulated so they don't destroy any coatings on glasses, like anti-glare and whatnot, so they should be absolutely safe for the gorilla glass that makes up our Nooks.

markiej

Dec 22, 2010
Well, you live in Boston so we'll give you some leeway

Thanks for the leeway. Boston is basically Waterworld(tm). This time of year, it's in the form of great mountains of white filth. It's water all the time. Our response to any problem is, "Have you tried water?"

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
The handy wipes and the spray are typically in the eyecare section of grocery stores and Walmart's...usually somewhere around the pharmacy...you could also get it at something like a CVS or Walgreen's

I really don't have a favorite brand...they all work about the same...I just know that the wipes and spray are formulated so they don't destroy any coatings on glasses, like anti-glare and whatnot, so they should be absolutely safe for the gorilla glass that makes up our Nooks.

Thanks, will pick some up tomorrow and try it out.

Thanks for the leeway. Boston is basically Waterworld(tm). This time of year, it's in the form of great mountains of white filth. It's water all the time. Our response to any problem is, "Have you tried water?"

Yea, but we all know it's spelled W A T E R, but that's not how it comes out of your mouth!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I bought the screen protector from B&N when I got the Nook. It was around $15 for two clear plastics that cover the screen and came with a cleaning cloth. Because the screen protector is a thin though film and I even have a back up, I usually use my sleve or my jeans or another sort of hand fabric to just wipe the smudges off. The cloths work well on the bezel but it doesn't require wiping as often since it doesn't really pick up the prints like the screen does.

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
I keep an alcohol pad (sealed of course) in the pocket of my case.. I grab a new one every morning and clean it once a day. I also have a little microfiber cloth in there. Works pretty good.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I used some bathroom tissue one time, which was a bad idea. lol Had to take a can of compressed air to blow all the lent off my NC. I didn't have a good cloth at the time. :)