What ROM is best?

Frank.Aviator

Jun 25, 2011
Hi!

So I got my G Tab about a month ago and have been using it "stock" without much problems, but would like to upgrade from the Tap N Tap.

I'm no hacker but am no Noob either, I handle myself fairly well managing software, installed my home's WiFi, added RAM to my desktop, installed several SPs to Windows. Nothing really tough yet though.

I'm having a hard time deciding on the best upgrade, so I'd really appreciate some help. I'd like to get as "Bug Free" and stable an upgrade as possible, don't really like Betas but want to see a real performance boost and be able to access the market.

TNT 4.2.1? Vegan? Gingerbread? Honeycomb?

Hey, thanks for all your help!

(PS: Yes, I know I'll need clockwork)

c1tobor

Apr 28, 2011
I am a new Gtab owner and after about an hour of "stock" I decided to flash Brilliant Corners rom by Roebeet. Very stable and a world of difference. Just be sure to know which boot loader you are on (1.2-4349 is really easy to flash)

I'm about to jump into the NVflash thing in order to reparition and learn "how-to" use it and start trying out some of the Honeycomb ROM's.

Last edited:

Adelamarc

May 16, 2011
I'd start with brillant corners. It performs very well, is very stable, and access the market with no difficulty. After clockworkmod is installed, it's easy to try other roms. I would stick to the 1.2 mods, I find they are easy to flash. Be sure to check out Slatedroid for many rom offerings. I checked out Flashback honeycomb yesterday, it is pretty sweet.

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Android Tablet Forum

Feb 10, 2011
I'd start with brillant corners. It performs very well, is very stable, and access the market with no difficulty. After clockworkmod is installed, it's easy to try other roms. I would stick to the 1.2 mods, I find they are easy to flash. Be sure to check out Slatedroid for many rom offerings. I checked out Flashback honeycomb yesterday, it is pretty sweet. Sent from my SPH-M900 using Android Tablet Forum
I agree brilliant corners is very stable, I installed it yesterday and its very fast, faster than my sisters xoom

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
As I've advised elsewhere, be VERY CAREFUL about installing a Honeycomb ROM. ;) Once you do, it makes it very difficult to go back to a Froyo/Gingerbread ROM!

In all seriousness, at this point in the game my advice would be to give Flashback a try. roebeet has taken a mid-summer break from working on Bottle of Smoke, and like him, tlbardelljr is an exceptional developer: easy-going, low-key, responsive, and very, very motivated to serve the gTab community. The main thing you're losing is camera functionality, but with both BoS and Flashback we now have pretty decent Flash function in Opera and Youtube.

If others have a different preference, this is a great place to debate the relative merits of the other ROMs. Please feel free to put a plug in for your favorite!

-Matt

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
IMO.. can't beat CyanogenMod 7.0.3 .. super stable, fast, plenty of cutomizations... various suplimental kernnals in development... haven't found an app that wont work with it thus far... Netflix functionality without and further hacking.... the version of ADW that is included has some tweaks specific to the tablet version that give you cutomizations for your notification bar and what not... till they get HC to beta I'll prob stick with it or a dirivitive there of...

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
IMO.. can't beat CyanogenMod 7.0.3 .. super stable, fast, plenty of cutomizations... various suplimental kernnals in development... haven't found an app that wont work with it thus far... Netflix functionality without and further hacking.... the version of ADW that is included has some tweaks specific to the tablet version that give you cutomizations for your notification bar and what not... till they get HC to beta I'll prob stick with it or a dirivitive there of...
I often see the words "netflix" and "dealbreaker" in the same sentence. I think for some gTab owners a pre-HC ROM is really the best choice. Definitely the only game in town for now.

But for me, probably near the top of the list is good, basic video playback...which happily--with Roboplayer and software decoding--actually works nicely on HC ROMs. Now of course, I watch 480p videos on the gTab (2-hour movies run around 1GB), not HD...

EDIT: I personally think ADW is a superb homescreen replacement app, too.

-Matt

beastman

May 8, 2011
Cyanogenmod 7.1 rc1 is good but requires editing /system/builf. prop to get netflix to play at normal special

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
The BEST rom is the one that fits user's preference !

With that said, Matt is right Once you do (Honeycomb ROM), it makes it very difficult to go back to a Froyo/Gingerbread ROM! Simply because the GUI looks attractive with a home page and four additional ones. That makes it easy to customize icons, widgets, shortcuts, etc . . .

And as mentioned, Flashback most definitely deserves a try. The developer is committed and 3.1 HC is around the corner. I've tried it, played with it, sweated with it, and like it a lot for stability and functionality. I might try the 'AdamComb' for the heck of it and may even make another 'lousy' video for fun.

For users that netflix is a must-have, check out 'Red Aurora' [ROM] Red Aurora 2.0 (Gingerbread) (Updated July 9th, 2011). The developer's main goal for this rom is around netflix.

I would suggest, and perhaps it is best, that forum leadership could create two polls and make it a 'sticky'. One lists HC, Gingerbread and Froyo. The other breaks down rom's within each category. This may be best to reflect the popularity. I could do the work, but could not make it a sticky.

Best to all,

Dave

Androo

Feb 9, 2011
I would suggest CM7, it was a really good one with its customizing and notifications. But I too am looking for a ROM, after using all these different ROMs, I want something that suits my needs. I want something that doesn't have camera/gallery related bugs, that can play PvZ or Peggle without crashing (I really can't find a ROM that can do that) and support for other apps, such as Sketchbook Express, Firefox, ect. I also want a ROM that doesn't have choppy video playback with Youtube and my videos (my current ROM has a problem with that). Is there a ROM that has all of that or something at least close? My current bootload is at 1.1 but if there's a 1.2 ROM, I'll be more than happy to upgrade. Thanks in advance!

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Blasphemer!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Tablet Forum